Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
N
Does anyone know how I can get my lenses off the milkglass? Some ***** siliconed them on.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Had a friend that used WD-40. Soak it and let it sit. I've also tried it and it works. Patience is key.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By drafter
Patience is key.

if you don't have that you're going too end up with 2 pieces ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Couldn't you try using some fishing line to work back and forth to cut through the silicone? I would think this would work

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If they were caulked in properly all you have to do is run a sharp knife around the edge of the lens.

If they set the lenses in caulk, well that's a different story. Try acetone or xylene. You can find those solvents in the paint department at Lowes, etc.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If its really silicone, then a sharpened feeler gauge slipped under the glass, will cut its way around!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The last one I had that was siliconed in like that I used a feeler gage like Kevin said. They had used a small bead almost continuos around the edge. There were a couple of spots I didn't know if I was going to get or not. After about an hour I had one side out and the other was a little easier but not much. I don't think WD or solvents will soften the silicone much. I was so happy when I got them out but then I was scraping the remaining silicone off of the body with a razor blade and must have hit a small invisible crack or weak spot in the glass and broke a small piece out if the body! It was a perfect wide body, and I couldn't believe that I had worked two hours to free the lenses, not really that concerned with cleaning up the body and then ended up breaking it. I fixed the piece back into the spot it broke from with epoxy and still have it on display but I'll always know it's broke. Be very very gentle and take it real slow or you'll be sorry. Even if you do, those things can break anyway.......GB.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe if you had used one of those solvents you wouldn't have Jarvised the body. wink
Toluene and denatured alcohol will also soften silicone making it easier to cut. If the caulk is just around the lens and not under it all you need is a sharp utility knife.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You might be right Bob. If I ever have another one I'll try those. I know that gasoline will eventually soften silicone. I was afraid that maybe the solvents might attack the back side of the lens though. I guess it wouldn't hurt the fired on paint as long as it didn't discolor it. I for sure should've used something to soften the stuff on the body after the lenses were off.....GB

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gary--Those bodies are pretty tough if they are in good condition. I bet yours had been damaged previously and probably silicone back into place?
It would take a pretty good whack to break a chunk out of the face of one.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
N
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
N
The milkglass is trash hence why I want the lenses off. I bought it that way (I did not break it). Theres a big crack up the side and broken at the base. I tried the wd40 and it melted the silicone fast but the lenses still won't budge. I'm sure there's silicone under the lenses. I haven't tried the feeler gauge yet. For all I know he could have put silicone in the middle. I think I'll try the fishing line once I get some.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kevin, I don't think it had been broken completely out before but I think there had to be a flaw or crack in that spot for it to break out a piece like it did. It broke out of the edge of the face to boot which is usually the thickest part. It seemed like I hit a small sand speck in the glass with the razor blade when it chipped out....GB

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By SeinfeldKramer
The milkglass is trash hence why I want the lenses off. I bought it that way (I did not break it). Theres a big crack up the side and broken at the base. I tried the wd40 and it melted the silicone fast but the lenses still won't budge. I'm sure there's silicone under the lenses. I haven't tried the feeler gauge yet. For all I know he could have put silicone in the middle. I think I'll try the fishing line once I get some.

Dental floss will work just as well. That's what I use to take emblems off cars with. Good luck.
Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Jarvised the body..... Ouch LOL

N
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
N
Well I've tried all of the above and nothing has worked the wd40 worked the best and melted all the silicone off the edge. But there must be some underneath. The fishing string or dental floss does not work. I ready to just try and break the milkglass since it's cracked but I doubt that will end to well for the lenses. Anymore ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved