Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
This is how this Associated Flying A station looked about 1952. In 1954 it became a Sinclair station. I finally found a photo of the station in an old newspaper where the station had up up a sign welcoming Gene Fuller home after he won the World Middleweight Championship in 1957. It is not a very good photo so I took and did some Photoshop on the first photo and created the third photo. This is how I will probably display the photos. Enjoy
WJCurator

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great old photos!

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like a pair of Tokheim 39 tall pumps.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The old photos are cool!

The photo shopped photo is just sad. This is for a museum display. Museums are supposed to depict and preserve history, not revise it!
The photo shopped picture besides not being historical, isn't correct either. The stripes on the building are wrong, the font on the SINCLAIR letters is wrong, (not to mention they aren't 3-d like the actual letters shown in the correct Sinclair picture), the globes are Associated, there's a Pennzoil sign, and the pumps don't have the correct paint scheme.

Rather than display that ridiculous photo shopped picture why not find someone that can enhance the grainy photo of the Sinclair station? That picture shows the rare Sinclair "Triple Check" sign.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I agree...just display the original photos side-by-side with the info captioned below...let the visitors do their own comparison of the details...the original Sinclair photo isn't great, but it's literally a snapshot of that moment frozen in time...making up another photo just confuses the issue...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds like, he's planning on displaying all three photos. Most people walking through the museum won't be collector's. They may not be able to visualize past what is put in front of them.

Probably not something, I would entertain the idea of hanging on my wall. However, I accept the fact that, everyone has a budget within the confines of which they have to work.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What does it have to do with budget? Display the two historical photos. No need for the altered photo.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice photo's.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice pictures!

Braden Splichal

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks to all who have made comments to this post. I really do appreciate your wisdom and your critics good or not so good. This is how I learn what would be or not be acceptable. Thanks for your support. This display when completed will be better because of your comments and suggestions. Thanks,
WJCurataor

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
The Photoshop photo was basically for me to see how the building would have looked if the whole building would have been in the photo and I should have made that clearer. I agree with you about preserving history and not revising it. Had that been my intention, I would have replaced the the gas pumps, correct font and striping etc. I have had a couple of people look at the original photo to see if could be made better, but it is a photo copy out of an old newspaper scanned and downloaded from the Internet. You can see what happens because of the half-tone negative (dots) to make the picture ready for printing does not give you a very clear picture to work with. I will be only showing original photos of all the stations and nothing Photoshopped. I may have to use a reproduction sign of the triple check sign in the display. But thanks for your insight and suggestions. I went back and check the box of stuff that Sinclair Oil gave us so besides the glass globe and the lenses for an HC, the also gave us a beautiful wood and light display to put the globe on. Three stuffed Dinosaurs, 1 box with a Dinosaur soap bar, two of their tee shirts, one of their die cast Sinclair trucks and a Sinclair Collectible sign that fits on a slatted wall. I also just got a Sinclair Dino patch and a original oil can. Now I am working on a getting a Sinclair ethyl ad glass.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
The Photoshop photo was basically for me to see how the building would have looked if the whole building would have been in the photo and I should have made that clearer. I will only be using original photos of the stations including the bad ones. They will all be larger and properly identified making them easier to see. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
WJCurator

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
The Photoshop photo was basically for me to see how the building would have looked if the whole building would have been in the photo and I should have made that clearer. I will only be displaying original photos, enlarged and identified. Thanks for your comments and suggestions Dave, much appreciated.
WJCurator

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks.
WJcuraotr

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks
WJCurator

Page 1 of 2 1 2