Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#622656 Tue Jul 21 2015 07:36 AM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
I believe that this collection is coming up for auction next year from the post on Dan's face book. I can only say it would be great just to be there and get photos.

Craig
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
when & where please post ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I and for those who Don't do Facebook believe this is what they are talking about

http://www.matthewsauctions.com/gallery.php?action=get&id=920

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
I saw it by chance on a face book thing and no I do not have that either just stumbled across it. It did not have a date though.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dan has about 115 pictures of the collection on his Facebook page. He said Morphys will be selling it next year. It did not have a date yet. I have been told it is the best petro collection out there? I am sure he will put more info here about the sale in the future.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
judging by the pictures I saw on Dan's page... it certainly could hold that title

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I looked through the pictures a few times already. Condition, rarity and quality are all there. I did not see any common or low end/ beat up stuff. A top quality museum collection for sure. I assume it would have to be sold over several days or several separate sales. Several items I need for my collection but probably out of my price range.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

I would like to go just for some photos and to be surrounded by that. I see Kyle had a 26" Texaco in there for the non believers.

I didn't see the Texaco Airplane Globe, I'm sure there's a lot missing though.

What did Kyle do for a living ?

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
I remember when I just started about 30 years ago and he was at a Gas Bash at Bill Allard's. He said then that he had sold his cable company for a lot of money, so I would imagine he would have been a pioneer in that field if that was so. After that I do not know.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kyle was a cable pioneer who sold out the cable company. http://www.clintondailynews.com/obituaries/kyle-moore

Scott Benjamin knew him well so I am sure he can add better details however he had one globe I wanted so I spoke to him a few times. He had a separate collection that he had at his house in Arizona of some of his best globes. I assume things like a set of gilmores any other really rare globes where there. When he passed that collection was pieced out from my understanding but that is just conjecture.

I have mixed feelings about this sale that don't necessarily have an answer:
1. There is 11 million dollars worth (when it was first sold) of collection ( from my memory) that is there if the collection is intact. How can the market absorb this much?
2. There are a couple of guys who could afford to buy the whole collection. Why didn't they step up? The quality is unmatched anywhere! Is that something to worry about?
3. How can anyone decide which pieces to buy, it is all AWESOME!
4.What will be the effect to the market post sale as the best pieces are bought by the big guys as they upgrade and then they sell there items...
5. Who is going to start dumping items before the sale to be ready to buy at this sale.
6. Holy ***** this will be amazing!
7. Which item will be bring the most money? The clipper? Houston? Champlain? Musgo? Sooner? Blue seal? Perhaps one of the tire tins? A globe?

This will be awesome!

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow...an amazing collection!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Scott:
Those are very good points and all are exactly right. I had heard at one time that there was over 3000 globes. You are exactly right, will this be too much at one time? It would be great to be kept together though. A national museum for this would be great, but who would run it. A venue like the one up in Calgary I believe would be great.

Craig
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
My wife and I looked through the pictures today. This will be one of the greatest if not THE greatest collections to ever be offered. Let's just say these items will definitely coax some "spirited bidding." Kyle loved pumps with 5 gallon attachments, that Raymond and Doran with the twin Fleckenstein attachment are awesome.

Goober

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have seen this collection when Kyle still had it and it was mind boggling..Frank

I collect anything Hyvis oils
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
I got to see that collection a few years back. That perforated Texaco Gas Oils sign will knock your eyes out with lighted. It had a rotating light that gave an amazing effect. I have the collection, including the lighted Texaco, on video, somewhere.

I think Nicky Fox restored most of those pumps.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would love to go to this auction to just witness it all and see some amazing stuff. He certainly had a great enormous collection of pumps, globes, and signs. Definitely quality, rarity, and quantity haha! He had one of the greatest collections out there, BUT it is not the biggest nor the rarest collection of pumps, globes and signs probably it is. He had some one of one pumps, globes, and signs. My good friend and fellow collector said he was a great person and had quite the collection, he said Kyle was the guy who got him started in the hobby. Hopefully all the items get put into good hands to care for it. Hopefully I can go to the auction and witness some history in the making!

Last edited by bsplichal95; Tue Jul 21 2015 08:14 PM.

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rare and Minty collection. As Craig says a collection like that would need to be preserved and maintained by a historical society with space, volunteers and know how to maintain. Calgary has a great example of such a collection (Ron Carey's) which is open to the public to fund its continued display and preservation.
This auction will be a great show to be part of when it happens. I agree with Scott's point #6.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
The former Kyle Moore collection will be sold over five auction, started on Oct 5 we will be selling about 300 lots.

All auction will be held at Morphy's main location at 2000 North Reading Road, Denver, Pa., 17517

Monday, Oct 5, 2015
Saturday, January 9, 2016
Sunday, April 24, 2016
July 23, 2016
Monday, October 3, 2016

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
5 trips to the east coast...yuck!

Scott Wright
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Hey guys, Denver is just outside of Hershey, it looks like at least two of the auctions will be on Monday around the time the Carlisle/Hershey shows.

Just start saving you money.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
powerlube #622791 Tue Jul 21 2015 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By powerlube
5 trips to the east coast...yuck!

should be 5 consecutive days too keep the travelers happy ... cool

RANDY
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Actually a good idea, too much for one time and gives people a chance to gather more money. Still a long go for the west coasters though.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This will change the hobby.

New signs in dans second post that could be the record setters: smitholene large 30 or 48?, kunz die cut kunz,ace high what looks like graphic tin with the airplane and car, wood oils, Polly neon double sided, Quincy independent with the person holding the sign,

It looked like a few of the signs were retouched or restored. Does anyone know which signs were restored?

Scott Wright
powerlube #622839 Wed Jul 22 2015 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Does anyone know which signs were restored?

a valid concern/question. in a collection that large and that 'minty' surely there is some signs that have been professionally restored. and now that the owner has passed... how will anyone know?

BryceG #622844 Wed Jul 22 2015 09:44 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Just to set the record straight...Kyle Moore was my dear friend of nearly 40 years until his passing in March of 2014. There is not a day I don't miss him. When he sold his first collection around 2007, to a billionaire, who has since ran into financial problems, hence the sale, Kyle told me that his collection had about 1000 globes and 1500 signs. Pumps I'm not sure, probably 100 of the best ones out there. The buyer had intended to build a museum to house the collection intact but it never happened. In fact, though it was paid for, the collection still sits at Kyle's house/building. I helped him at that time to appraise many of the gas globes. You could not duplicate this collection today no matter how much money you have there just isn't that number of quality pieces out there. Kyle had the means to buy large collections just to upgrade a piece or two and sell the extras off. He gathered much of these items in the 1970s before most of the hobby was starting, so he got the best back then when mint pieces and rare pieces were easier to find. When you do this for 40 years with no limits this is the result. Kyle started a second collection after the first sale but that has been sold off over the last couple years. I'm sure there is something for everyone here. Have fun with it! Scott Benjamin

BryceG #622845 Wed Jul 22 2015 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is sad to see someone's collection being sold once they have passed on and the collection being listed ,redistributed etc ,but I realize that's just part of life . Looks like Mr Moore was a true collector by the photos. I just can't imagine the years , energy , time , and money involved in assembling collections like his that was posted . I don't want to sound disrespectful or depressing but I always wonder how prices will hold up in the future when more larger collections come up for sale and more stuff is out there.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
wish there was a way to easily get all the pictures posted here on OG... I can only imagine referencing this collection 20+ years from now

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am sure a book will be made.

Scott- thanks for the clarification. I know we all miss Kyle, you more then most.

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree it is always sad to see any collection being dismantled. Especially when you consider the time, effort, sacrifices made (time away from family) to establish a collection of this caliber. Would be nice if families had the means to keep a collection intact after the death of the original collector. But, as has been stated many times before...at best; we are only temporary custodians. As proven again by this thread...even the best of best collections are not immune to this truth.

Dave GILL,
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
What is sad is that Kyle wanted the collection to remain intact and passed on selling to other collectors who he knew would split it up. But the new owner ran into problems and hence the sale. Too bad really, should remain in a museum...Scott B.

scottpcm #622904 Wed Jul 22 2015 04:32 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
The owner has experienced an ebb and flow of financial issues dating back to 2009. I had hoped that the collection would fall into the hands of a known Oklahoman billonaire and philanthropist.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Why can't this still happen?

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...you know what surprises me?

...it's been stated that the owner was a billionaire...and that the collection originally sold for $10-11 million?

...I'm guessing another $20-30 million would have been enough to build a suitable museum to house the collection, and create an endowment to ensure its preservation...

...a billion dollars is a thousand million dollars...what's $40 million, if you have $1000 million? 4%! confused

Last edited by gulfiend!; Wed Jul 22 2015 06:23 PM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #622916 Wed Jul 22 2015 06:37 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O

See links. The pro-longed sub $3.50 gas price coupled with the rapid decline in oil beginning last fall has taken it's toll on many in the energy sector. That being said, Mr. McClendon's financial matters are more complex.

https://www.questia.com/newspaper/1P2-33849343/okc-based-chesapeake-energy-s-ceo-aubrey-mcclendon

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...e-kaiser-s-debt

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/27/chesapeake-mcclendon-idUSL1E8NQ2H720121227

I was referencing George Francis Kaiser who had a lien on the petroleum memorabilia collection beginning in June 2012. Mr. Kaiser is a renowned philanthropist from Tulsa, OK. He is currently funding a museum and park in Tulsa.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If he has any lien on the collection I would urge everyone to send an email to the foundation pleading for them to keep the collection intact a museum for all to see.

Send an email to inquiries@gkff.org it can't hurt.

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
From a business perspective that's an incredible story .

Follow the Red Indian Trail
N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
It's a shame that it's going to be split up, but maybe it's ok to finally be able to purchase or buy back some super rare pieces to fill out your collections.

I collect Phillips 66 and globes pumps & signs esp Iowa co.
V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
Museums are expensive to run unless it’s one that attracts 1000’s of visitors a year! The neon sign museum tried, Coca Cola museum in Kentucky tried it! Unfortunately the gas and oil collection would only interest a very small portion of our population and how many collectors would travel across the country or have the time to visit it! This is going to be a wonderful opportunity for all of us to add to our collections a few pieces that we would never otherwise been able to acquire and be honored to know that it came from one of the best collections in the USA!

vmc44 #622952 Thu Jul 23 2015 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By vmc44
Museums are expensive to run unless it’s one that attracts 1000’s of visitors a year! The neon sign museum tried, Coca Cola museum in Kentucky tried it! Unfortunately the gas and oil collection would only interest a very small portion of our population and how many collectors would travel across the country or have the time to visit it! This is going to be a wonderful opportunity for all of us to add to our collections a few pieces that we would never otherwise been able to acquire and be honored to know that it came from one of the best collections in the USA!

Well said. Get the pieces out for others to enjoy. Once in a museum it takes the WOW factor out. If it was an entire collection of 1 brand it would be worthy of a museum IMO

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By vmc44
This is going to be a wonderful opportunity for all of us to add to our collections a few pieces

...really? ALL of us? Maybe those of us who (from the Facebook comments) can just 'consign a couple of cars to Mecum'...that would be a FEW of us...very few...

...also, I'm not sure how, on the one hand, this hobby is so red hot with a zillion people who gleefully quote what was on American Peckers this week; with people scratching and clawing to get anything worth having; can simultaneously be so 'niche' that a museum located in a touristy area (not Cincinnatti or Kentucky) would be unsuccessful...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It will be a great auction or auctions lol for sure. I can't wait. Beautiful pieces....

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Better get an equity loan on the house. This is going to be a crazy money event!

Have gas all the time
powerlube #622970 Thu Jul 23 2015 10:08 AM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
If he has any lien on the collection I would urge everyone to send an email to the foundation pleading for them to keep the collection intact a museum for all to see.

Send an email to inquiries@gkff.org it can't hurt.

I for one would love to see this collection stay in a "Museum".

Can we conduct a survey in favor of the "Museum"?

Thnaks,

Hen

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wouldn't hold my breath on the auctions all being done just yet. If oil goes back up or Aubrey McClendon finds a few more investors he may decide to keep it all in the end. Those guys deal in millions and billions like we do in hundreds and it seems to me that even though the petro collection is worth several million dollars, the worth of it isn't really that much as collateral in the scheme of things for him. He also put up his wine collection, rumored to be worth a lot more than the petro, as collateral in the deal with Kaiser. Sounds like more good will than anything when you look at the dollars involved. I guess if Dan already is advertising the auctions they will happen but money talks when guys of this caliber are involved and things can change pretty quick. As for most of us getting a chance at some of the items, Mark is right, it will be a few of us, not the majority of us. At least I'm speaking from my pocketbook's perspective. Still it will be amazing to watch, just seeing all of the items in pictures and knowing it was amassed in one place is amazing in itself....GB

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This amount of quality merchandise will drive the prices low. A great auction would generate 1 million. Here we have 20 million in less then a year? The seller dictates how a sale is run but this is a way to much in such a short time. Even the big boys won't digest it all. Lots of pieces will fall through the cracks. Lots of investor collectors will be selling before.

This is like the stock market and the insider lockup expires, shares are dumped and prices drop. Time will tell if they recover.

Prediction for next week at Iowa: a record number of high dollar items will be for sale as guys want to cash out before they loose to much. Just my .02.

The guys who will not be affected too much are the 500-2500 sign collectors. The guys with 50k polly's or harbors that were bought to invest or as as retirement...yikes.

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Btw- preservation of gas and oil history is part of the American fundamental fabric. We created the industrial revolution based on cheap oil, cars, rail etc. Oil is a huge reason people live in Oklahoma!

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My opinion is totally different then yours. Prices will hold, this will not effect anything except fuel the fire. Hobby will be hotter then ever. Those that can't stand the heat...shouldn't have been there in the first place.

There is as much demand for $50,000 pieces as there is for $5,000 pieces. There is still room for more growth and higher prices. Investor's come and go, collector's are here to stay irregardless of cost or the popularity of gas & oil collectibles.

Dave GILL,
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Dave's Garage
Those that can't stand the heat...shouldn't have been there in the first place.

...what do you mean?

V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
“This amount of quality merchandise will drive the prices low”
Scott my opinion is this is a hobby not an investment! And I agree with Dave prices will hold and some pieces will go through the roof! But let’s say a few don’t so are you trying to say you want a deal? Scott I have been collecting 35 years and know most of the advanced collectors and this isn’t your average gas and oil auction that happens every 3 months this is merchandise that you won’t see again!
BTW: I meet Kyle at the very first Iowa gas when I was a kid that didn’t have much money but he always said buy the rarest globe or sign you can afford and you won’t go wrong! How true that is today!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The people who keep thinking of this as an investment or retirement plan... Well good luck.
I am a collector and I plan on making a list of things I want to try to get and will have fun.
This is a hobby and I have fun doing it.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Totally agree with Dave. Gas and Oil is going nowhere but up!

intagas #623030 Thu Jul 23 2015 06:46 PM
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
whistle I have watched this thread all week and have held my opinion to myself. A lot less Flack that way. But I think I'll throw-in a couple thoughts. I learned a little parable a long time ago that sure seems to fit collecting in this Gas and Oil Hobby. Today's high prices, are tomorrow's bargains!. The Kyle Moore Collection seems to be filled with one-of-a-kind items and certainly the best available. The Market will NOT be wrecked because it will not be flooded by multiples. Hopefully the Deep Pocket Buyers will upgrade their collections and sell-off duplicates, enabling many people an opportunity to own items formerly unaffordable. I think some people will save-up and zero in on that one item that will become the cornerstone to their collection, a piece they will display with pride. We're not talking tons of common stuff being dumped on the market, that would delute the pricing on what many of us have collected. When the items I saw pictured become as common as what we see at the shows now, then the Market has become lowered. JMO.
Ed Steagall. wink

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Well I agree with a lot of thoughts here. I am one that can not afford the big dollar stuff. BUT I too was told by the same people what VMC44 said about buying the best, in fact Scott Benjamin told me that also and followed his advise on one item He sold me that even today I can still say thank you.
Extremely rare stuff holds the value and this is all value. But Scott wright is still right about the worries of how to get ready for this and if there is too much to absorb.
Just exciting to see all the comments and knowing that there is a small possibility that some of us may get one item that we can never again get.

Last edited by Craig Osbeck; Thu Jul 23 2015 07:50 PM.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Guys- I have zero, nada, zip of my savings invested in my collection and view it as pure entertainment. However I have spoken to a number of guys who have 3-800k invested in this stuff and it is a chunk of their retirement. Sure you can say to them stay out of the fire, I am just not that way. Several are moving high dollar items now to protect their investment. Do you think mecum got their 'road art' auction merchandise from buying out collection's ? No some of the big guys are slimming down. Btw- the mecum auction in Denver was horrible...items hardly met reserve. I guess they only go nutty at Barrett!

This is a valuable discussion for all to have. I have a business mind, that's what I do. The hobby is my release. I don't fear anything I have going down in value as it's just art and decoration. I too look forward to taking advantage of a ton of stuff falling through the cracks and decorating a new building.

Guys- compare this, to a much lesser extent and apples to oranges to the housing crash, but some of the same trends hold true. Did the banks turn around and put those houses right back on the market asap? No they would have killed the Economy. They have been slowly pushing them out so you, I and everyone else who used there house as a retirement plan and savings device would be protected as much as possible.

I really wish Kyle wishes to have his collection preserved in a muesem, as he wished and the deal he made.

With that said who wants to start a betting pool for the top ten grossing signs in order? Top ten globes? $20 buy in Jim Potts holds the $$ and gets 10% off the top to keep the site rolling? Anyone interested?

Scott Wright
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
If we had a list of the items it would be great, but I am sure this will all come in time. Most of the stuff some of us have never seen.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ed's explanation as to why this series of auctions will not drive prices down is spot on.
But if prices were to go down I don't see it as a bad thing. On the contrary, that would allow collectors to add some desirable items to their collections that might otherwise go to the investors.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Have not seen anything listed in the October 5 sale, is some of this still going to be in that sale, and Is there any list of stuff that is going to be sold yet ? Getting closer.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dan Matthews had a printed list of items that will be in this first auction and I'm sure you can get a copy from him. He was passing them out at Iowa Gas.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
ok thanks

Craig
I go to many auctions but never buy at Morphys because the prices are way to high for an item and after you bid there is a 20% fee that they then add a 6% sales tax to that total. I rather do it my way more fun and cheaper. This is a hobby to me but a to them it is a business. All nice stuff and real!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This collection will bring out strong prices. Rarity and condition will do that. There is also a lot of it hitting the market in a short period of time. While a couple items may slip through and sell for less than expected, I do not see it impacting values in a negative way overall in the hobby.
As for the "juice". I said it before, figure out the most you want to pay for an item, do the math and bid accordingly. If you get it, good for you. If you don't, the only reason is someone was willing to pay more for it than you were. I have my eye on a few items for the collection but will probably get outbid on all of them. Shame to see the collection broke up but it will be a great opportunity for everyone to add to their collection.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just a question, will there be online bidding? And if so, how much are they going to stick it to us percentage?

Have gas all the time
Done4 #626309 Wed Aug 19 2015 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Done4
Just a question, will there be online bidding? And if so, how much are they going to stick it to us percentage?

Morphy's charges 20% regardless if online, in-person, or absentee. They offer bidding thru their site, proxibid, liveauctioneers, etc.

Also, you may want to take into account that Morphy's shipping charges are usually 2x-5x the actual cost to ship. For reference, my last purchase was a 30" sign and a piece of A38 ad glass, and I was charged $110 for shipping

Last edited by BryceG; Wed Aug 19 2015 09:40 AM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ya, I kinda figured they would spank the hell out us anyway they could. But I do understand someone has to pack the stuff correctly. I'm going to weigh cost of driving/lodging/ food and cold beverages verse the buyers fee and shipping costs.

Thanks Bryce.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
does anyone one have a list of all the items that will be in the 1st auction and will there be pics also

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
We can all speculate and talk and it means little until the hammer falls! One thing I know for sure like any recent auctions. You will see record prices on some signs. You will see high prices on many globes. You will also see several pieces fall through the cracks especially this many items. I doubt much will change in our hobby, we'll all just have a few more great pieces! IMO. Scott B.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Sounds like you have to buy the $40 catalog to see the list of items that will be in the first auction.

B
bij Offline
B
Were can you see this collection at ?

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Some pics for those without facebook access.

http://www.matthewsauctions.com/

dan3.JPG dan2.JPG dan.JPG dan4.JPG
Last edited by hri_2008; Sat Aug 22 2015 06:50 PM.
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Yes, but which items are going in the first auction. Where would this info be. Not on his face book page.

Craig
Originally Posted By Craig Osbeck
Yes, but which items are going in the first auction. Where would this info be. Not on his face book page.

Pm or call Matt. He had a list of the items in the first auction at Iowa.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They will have a list on line on proxbid or what ever on line auction service they use closer to the auction.

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
I posted the link above the pictures. In time the information will appear on that link.

Here is a more direct link. Pictures are now visible on it.

http://www.matthewsauctions.com/gallery.php?action=get&id=920

Last edited by hri_2008; Mon Aug 24 2015 08:25 PM.
N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
Has anyone seen the catalog and can tell me if estimated prices are there? Will probably not be bidding, but I would like a catalog to show my insurance guy values for coverage.
Someone just mentioned to me a nice Pegasus was stolen off a wall in Giddings Texas of all places. Got me wondering about insurance - which I do not have.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Go to;
Forum list
Petrolania News
Advance notice of October 5 Morphys Auction

He has a list up with price estimates. No pictures for every item yet. About 800 lots, that will take a lot of work to catalog everything, give it a lot number, picture, description, grade and price estimate. A lot of that looks to be already done but not everything. I already ordered a catalog from the Morphy web site. I am expecting to get it mid to late September some time.
As for insurance, sales can be used as a guide for like items. I would suggest you also catalog your collection with pictures of everything. Collectables are probably not fully covered by your current home owners policy.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Bryce! I plan on getting a catalog for each sale, just for future reference material!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #627552 Fri Aug 28 2015 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By K W FRITH
I plan on getting a catalog for each sale, just for future reference material!

same here. I already reserved mine... and I dont even plan on bidding

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Thanks Dan for the Pictures. Will have to really start saving the cans and bottles now.

Craig
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Lot numbers in pdf form that Byrce G listed link to doesn't match lot numbers that Dan listed here on Oldgas.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P

Good Morning everybody. Beautiful day here in the Illinois Valley. I was wondering if anybody received their " Morphy's 1st catalog ". Dan.

pumpdoc #629822 Tue Sep 15 2015 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By pumpdoc
Good Morning everybody. Beautiful day here in the Illinois Valley. I was wondering if anybody received their " Morphy's 1st catalog ". Dan.

I have not...

but the link still says, "Click the buy now button on the left to reserve your hardbound catalog."

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Catalogs are being delivered tomorrow and will be sent out on Friday I was told a little bit ago.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the update Dan!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sweet! I will check the mail all next week!

Scott Wright
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Good morning everybody. Beautiful day here in the Illinois Valley. I was wondering if anyone received there " Morphy's 1st Catolog ". Dan.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i received mine on Saturday, and a friend of mine received his on Friday.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Got mine last week. I think it was Friday.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Still waiting for the wagons to make it out to the west coast for mine.

gaspower #630874 Thu Sep 24 2015 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By gaspower
Still waiting for the wagons to make it out to the west coast for mine.

LOL you might have a long wait if they are coming on the same wagon as mine! Good thing there is no snow yet or the USPS might not even make it! LOL

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Still waiting here as well. I have been stalking the mailbox...

Scott Wright
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Sorry to tell you guys that someone drop the ball in the Morphy office and about 50 catalogs did not get sent out till today.

If you order a catalog and have not received it, you will probably will not receive it till Saturday or Monday at the latest.

Sorry about this I will try to make it up to you guys in the future.

Dan

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the info. I thought the mail lady took mine! I looked at the stuff online today, still prefer to have a book in my hands. (Last I looked, I was the high bidder on a couple items. For now..)

Wes Maxwell #630918 Thu Sep 24 2015 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well... Kevin, Scott, Wes and me so far. 46 more to go. frown

Last edited by Chevrolet SS; Thu Sep 24 2015 05:11 PM.

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Chevrolet SS
Well, Kevin, Scott, Wes and me so far. 46 more to go...

I'm #46 smile

Last edited by pumpingethyl; Thu Sep 24 2015 04:59 PM.

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I'm #45

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

-Matt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nothing in tonights mail? I reserved one as soon as they had them available--what could possibly go wrong????

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There's nothing in there you guys would be interested in anyway. wink

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

Always looking for Mississippi company items, Billups, southland, ride with rose.
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Still waiting as patiently as a serial killer.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I called yesterday and apparently there was some sort of mixup and most catalogs just were mailed out yesterday. She said since I was on the east coast that I should have mine by Monday or Tuesday.

-MAXGAS-
Looking for Independent Gas & Oil, Oilzum,& Early FORD dealership items.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
One more note if you are planning on coming to the auction on Oct 5 and want to be in the main auction room you need to call and reserve you seat now. We have 210 i think and we already have 120 spoken for. After we fill these seats we will have another room setup for bidding.

To reserve a seat call 717-335-3435 and have your credit card ready.

Dan

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
How does one go about getting a catalog? I must be over looking it on the site.

Mattgas #630960 Fri Sep 25 2015 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Mattgas
One more note if you are planning on coming to the auction on Oct 5 and want to be in the main auction room you need to call and reserve you seat now. We have 210 i think and we already have 120 spoken for. After we fill these seats we will have another room setup for bidding.

To reserve a seat call 717-335-3435 and have your credit card ready.

Dan

You have to buy a seat?

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"We have so many people calling to reserve a seat at the auction on October 5, we have decided to do the following.

A Note To Our Customers

Entrance to our auction facility to preview auction items is free of charge.
However, to reserve a seat in the auction room you will be required to pay a $500 deposit on each seat. This will be refunded to you upon a successful bid. If no bids are successful, it will be refunded to you within 30 days.
Seats are limited
Contact us today at 877-968-8880 to reserve your seat.

Updated preview hours:
Our auction facility will be opened for extended preview on Saturday, October 3rd and Sunday, October 4th until 7:00 PM.
Auction day preview will open on Monday, October 5th at 7:30 AM.
The auction will begin promptly at 9:00 AM

Any questions? Please call 877-968-8880.
Morphy Auctions
2000 N. Reading Road
Denver, PA 17517
www.MorphyAuctions.com"

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By publicenemy1925
How does one go about getting a catalog? I must be over looking it on the site.

Link to Buy a catalog:
http://www.morphyauctions.com/auctions/view/10042015-10042015-AutomobiliaPetroliana

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Does the catalog have in depth description or same as on line catalog? Logo used in what region,what years etc. Just curious.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Loyd Pierce #630972 Fri Sep 25 2015 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Loyd Pierce
Does the catalog have in depth description or same as on line catalog? Logo used in what region,what years etc. Just curious.

Catalog is just a fancy sale bill. it has no more information that what is online in the description.

But it is a VERY nice hardbound catalog. I bought it just to put another reference item in the 'petro' library... these Moore auctions will be remembered for a long time

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What if I bring my folding chair with me? It does have paint splatters on it.

Have gas all the time
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I enjoyed flipping through the "digital catalog". It presents very nicely. Great job Dan! Digital version appears to have the same description as the "online catalog" - but does not have multiple photos of the same piece. For instance the "online catalog" shows images of both sides of the Cadillac V8 sign selling first. The Online option also allows bidding smile.

On another note, does anyone know if catalog purchase will include a prices realized mailing after the sale? Have the dates of future sales for this collection been announced? Amazing items! thanks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Is there anyone in this group that will be in actual attendance and driving back west near me? I have a globe that I intend to buy and I have a purchasing agent all lined up, but I'm looking for transportation, rather than having it shipped? Be glad to pay a fee for having it moved west to an area near me somewhere.

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Hope it comes Monday. Hope you all got yours today. Dan.

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Have not yet.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The mail camels haven't stopped in North Dakota yet either! It must be farther than I thought to Pa.?

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Still waiting in Michigan......

Collecting most things related to Cities Service, Galena Oil, Hi-Speed Gas, Sunoco & Richfield.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I got mine Saturday, a great well made book. Will be a good reference in the future.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mine arrived Saturday as well

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dose this book have every item in all the auctions of the collection.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Well we can see who the favorites are can't we.
LOL

Craig
Oilcanman87 #631274 Mon Sep 28 2015 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Oilcanman87
Dose this book have every item in all the auctions of the collection.

Book #1 has the 800 lots for the FIRST auction....4 more books to follow in conjunction with each future auction

Last edited by pumpingethyl; Mon Sep 28 2015 07:00 AM.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Good morning everybody. Cloudy day in the Illinois Valley. Did everyone receive there " Morphys 1St Edition " catalog?? I checked my mail this morning. No catalog. I hope everybody done better. Dan.

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Nothing yet. Saw online the ebay listings for the signs and globes, Looked great.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Take heart! The Postal Camels finally made it as far as North Dakota, so there is hope for "EVERYONE"!! LOL

This isn't just a catalog--its a flippin book!!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I got mine today and it was in a padded envelope and dropped and damaged the corner of the book. Disappointed with that but it looks good, been drooling all afternoon.

Thanks, Phil
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Got mine today. Nice book/catalog.

-Matt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Phil I hope you looked at the "book" under clear plastic, helps keeps the drool from leaving marks.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Got mine this morning. Great catalog. Can not wait till the other catalogs come out. Dan.

Last edited by pumpdoc; Tue Sep 29 2015 05:57 AM.
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
This could be old news but did anyone notice Morphy's is running this on Ebay live auction as well? Might be a extra option aside from Proxibid. They surely covered all the outlets here..prices should be out of this world.

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Got my book yesterday, also had corner damage. Thank you US postal service. With all the associated costs I'm going to only watch for the amusement factor.

Have gas all the time
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Is bidding threw Old Gas on Ebay allowed? Would Old Gas receive credit? Just wondering..

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
So will they be having a hurricane party during the auction? Might cause some technical difficulty.

Looking for any Alabama based globes and advertising such as Coastal, Rebel, Interstate Oil, Foster Oil (supertane), Mutual, Oil Well, etc...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think this is the guy who bought the Moore collection that morphs us is now auctioning. http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/02/news/chesapeake-ceo-dead-aubrey-mcclendon-car-crash/index.html

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
wow...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WOW is right.....It's amazing when some people fall from a big $$$$ lifestyle, how hard they truly fall!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There must be more to it for him to do that. Man.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sad deal.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very sad, especially for his family.

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings