Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree it is always sad to see any collection being dismantled. Especially when you consider the time, effort, sacrifices made (time away from family) to establish a collection of this caliber. Would be nice if families had the means to keep a collection intact after the death of the original collector. But, as has been stated many times before...at best; we are only temporary custodians. As proven again by this thread...even the best of best collections are not immune to this truth.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
What is sad is that Kyle wanted the collection to remain intact and passed on selling to other collectors who he knew would split it up. But the new owner ran into problems and hence the sale. Too bad really, should remain in a museum...Scott B.

scottpcm #622904 Wed Jul 22 2015 04:32 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
The owner has experienced an ebb and flow of financial issues dating back to 2009. I had hoped that the collection would fall into the hands of a known Oklahoman billonaire and philanthropist.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Why can't this still happen?

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...you know what surprises me?

...it's been stated that the owner was a billionaire...and that the collection originally sold for $10-11 million?

...I'm guessing another $20-30 million would have been enough to build a suitable museum to house the collection, and create an endowment to ensure its preservation...

...a billion dollars is a thousand million dollars...what's $40 million, if you have $1000 million? 4%! confused

Last edited by gulfiend!; Wed Jul 22 2015 06:23 PM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #622916 Wed Jul 22 2015 06:37 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O

See links. The pro-longed sub $3.50 gas price coupled with the rapid decline in oil beginning last fall has taken it's toll on many in the energy sector. That being said, Mr. McClendon's financial matters are more complex.

https://www.questia.com/newspaper/1P2-33849343/okc-based-chesapeake-energy-s-ceo-aubrey-mcclendon

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...e-kaiser-s-debt

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/27/chesapeake-mcclendon-idUSL1E8NQ2H720121227

I was referencing George Francis Kaiser who had a lien on the petroleum memorabilia collection beginning in June 2012. Mr. Kaiser is a renowned philanthropist from Tulsa, OK. He is currently funding a museum and park in Tulsa.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If he has any lien on the collection I would urge everyone to send an email to the foundation pleading for them to keep the collection intact a museum for all to see.

Send an email to inquiries@gkff.org it can't hurt.

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
From a business perspective that's an incredible story .

Follow the Red Indian Trail
N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
It's a shame that it's going to be split up, but maybe it's ok to finally be able to purchase or buy back some super rare pieces to fill out your collections.

I collect Phillips 66 and globes pumps & signs esp Iowa co.
V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
Museums are expensive to run unless it’s one that attracts 1000’s of visitors a year! The neon sign museum tried, Coca Cola museum in Kentucky tried it! Unfortunately the gas and oil collection would only interest a very small portion of our population and how many collectors would travel across the country or have the time to visit it! This is going to be a wonderful opportunity for all of us to add to our collections a few pieces that we would never otherwise been able to acquire and be honored to know that it came from one of the best collections in the USA!

vmc44 #622952 Thu Jul 23 2015 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By vmc44
Museums are expensive to run unless it’s one that attracts 1000’s of visitors a year! The neon sign museum tried, Coca Cola museum in Kentucky tried it! Unfortunately the gas and oil collection would only interest a very small portion of our population and how many collectors would travel across the country or have the time to visit it! This is going to be a wonderful opportunity for all of us to add to our collections a few pieces that we would never otherwise been able to acquire and be honored to know that it came from one of the best collections in the USA!

Well said. Get the pieces out for others to enjoy. Once in a museum it takes the WOW factor out. If it was an entire collection of 1 brand it would be worthy of a museum IMO

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By vmc44
This is going to be a wonderful opportunity for all of us to add to our collections a few pieces

...really? ALL of us? Maybe those of us who (from the Facebook comments) can just 'consign a couple of cars to Mecum'...that would be a FEW of us...very few...

...also, I'm not sure how, on the one hand, this hobby is so red hot with a zillion people who gleefully quote what was on American Peckers this week; with people scratching and clawing to get anything worth having; can simultaneously be so 'niche' that a museum located in a touristy area (not Cincinnatti or Kentucky) would be unsuccessful...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It will be a great auction or auctions lol for sure. I can't wait. Beautiful pieces....

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Better get an equity loan on the house. This is going to be a crazy money event!

Have gas all the time
powerlube #622970 Thu Jul 23 2015 10:08 AM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Originally Posted By powerlube
If he has any lien on the collection I would urge everyone to send an email to the foundation pleading for them to keep the collection intact a museum for all to see.

Send an email to inquiries@gkff.org it can't hurt.

I for one would love to see this collection stay in a "Museum".

Can we conduct a survey in favor of the "Museum"?

Thnaks,

Hen

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved