Next Thread
Print Thread
#62294 Mon Apr 18 2005 06:44 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Well, one step forward and two steps back today. I had earlier explained how I got and used the wrong paint from the paint shop but thought I had a solution. I needed urethane base coat yet recieved urethane finish coat, the main difference being the base coat required no hardner. I took the painted metal to my old shop last week, put them in an oven, baked them at 150 F for 6 hours and the paint ended up rock hard. I later wet sanded the urethane enamel (400 then 600 grit) and shot on one coat of clear. That was about a week ago, today I wet sanded these again (600 grit), dried, wiped with a tack rag and was going to put two heavy coats of clear to complete the painting on this pump. I sprayed the first coat, waited 5 minutes to shoot the next and here's what had happened;

Well, it's kinda back to square one regarding the paint, I'll remove this crud, reprime and take it from there.
What blows my mind about this is when I put the test coat of clear on these shortly after I baked the paint in the oven, the clear worked great. Today it was the same clear, same thinner and same hardner!!

Well, so goes it. I did take a picture of something after dealing with this mess that made me feel much better though;

Take care all, one day the OPP WILL be finished!

Neal

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#62295 Mon Apr 18 2005 08:48 PM
Online Cool
That used to happen regularly back in the old days before catalyst hardened enamels.
Even if your test used all the same components, and you put more material on or recoated in a shorter time, you may get the wrinkling. It's all about how long the newly applied solvents have to stay wet and eat down into the old finish. Lighter coats with more time between them is the cautious way if lifting or wrinkling is feared.
I've been there and know that it is no picnic to deal with that. Hang in there, Neal! Hopefully your paint supplier will help you out with material costs, at least.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#62296 Mon Apr 18 2005 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Can we call Neal "MR. KRINKEL" ?

#62297 Mon Apr 18 2005 10:21 PM
D
Veteran Member