Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wouldn't hold my breath on the auctions all being done just yet. If oil goes back up or Aubrey McClendon finds a few more investors he may decide to keep it all in the end. Those guys deal in millions and billions like we do in hundreds and it seems to me that even though the petro collection is worth several million dollars, the worth of it isn't really that much as collateral in the scheme of things for him. He also put up his wine collection, rumored to be worth a lot more than the petro, as collateral in the deal with Kaiser. Sounds like more good will than anything when you look at the dollars involved. I guess if Dan already is advertising the auctions they will happen but money talks when guys of this caliber are involved and things can change pretty quick. As for most of us getting a chance at some of the items, Mark is right, it will be a few of us, not the majority of us. At least I'm speaking from my pocketbook's perspective. Still it will be amazing to watch, just seeing all of the items in pictures and knowing it was amassed in one place is amazing in itself....GB

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This amount of quality merchandise will drive the prices low. A great auction would generate 1 million. Here we have 20 million in less then a year? The seller dictates how a sale is run but this is a way to much in such a short time. Even the big boys won't digest it all. Lots of pieces will fall through the cracks. Lots of investor collectors will be selling before.

This is like the stock market and the insider lockup expires, shares are dumped and prices drop. Time will tell if they recover.

Prediction for next week at Iowa: a record number of high dollar items will be for sale as guys want to cash out before they loose to much. Just my .02.

The guys who will not be affected too much are the 500-2500 sign collectors. The guys with 50k polly's or harbors that were bought to invest or as as retirement...yikes.

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Btw- preservation of gas and oil history is part of the American fundamental fabric. We created the industrial revolution based on cheap oil, cars, rail etc. Oil is a huge reason people live in Oklahoma!

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My opinion is totally different then yours. Prices will hold, this will not effect anything except fuel the fire. Hobby will be hotter then ever. Those that can't stand the heat...shouldn't have been there in the first place.

There is as much demand for $50,000 pieces as there is for $5,000 pieces. There is still room for more growth and higher prices. Investor's come and go, collector's are here to stay irregardless of cost or the popularity of gas & oil collectibles.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Dave's Garage
Those that can't stand the heat...shouldn't have been there in the first place.

...what do you mean?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
“This amount of quality merchandise will drive the prices low”
Scott my opinion is this is a hobby not an investment! And I agree with Dave prices will hold and some pieces will go through the roof! But let’s say a few don’t so are you trying to say you want a deal? Scott I have been collecting 35 years and know most of the advanced collectors and this isn’t your average gas and oil auction that happens every 3 months this is merchandise that you won’t see again!
BTW: I meet Kyle at the very first Iowa gas when I was a kid that didn’t have much money but he always said buy the rarest globe or sign you can afford and you won’t go wrong! How true that is today!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The people who keep thinking of this as an investment or retirement plan... Well good luck.
I am a collector and I plan on making a list of things I want to try to get and will have fun.
This is a hobby and I have fun doing it.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Totally agree with Dave. Gas and Oil is going nowhere but up!

intagas #623030 Thu Jul 23 2015 06:46 PM
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
whistle I have watched this thread all week and have held my opinion to myself. A lot less Flack that way. But I think I'll throw-in a couple thoughts. I learned a little parable a long time ago that sure seems to fit collecting in this Gas and Oil Hobby. Today's high prices, are tomorrow's bargains!. The Kyle Moore Collection seems to be filled with one-of-a-kind items and certainly the best available. The Market will NOT be wrecked because it will not be flooded by multiples. Hopefully the Deep Pocket Buyers will upgrade their collections and sell-off duplicates, enabling many people an opportunity to own items formerly unaffordable. I think some people will save-up and zero in on that one item that will become the cornerstone to their collection, a piece they will display with pride. We're not talking tons of common stuff being dumped on the market, that would delute the pricing on what many of us have collected. When the items I saw pictured become as common as what we see at the shows now, then the Market has become lowered. JMO.
Ed Steagall. wink

C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Well I agree with a lot of thoughts here. I am one that can not afford the big dollar stuff. BUT I too was told by the same people what VMC44 said about buying the best, in fact Scott Benjamin told me that also and followed his advise on one item He sold me that even today I can still say thank you.
Extremely rare stuff holds the value and this is all value. But Scott wright is still right about the worries of how to get ready for this and if there is too much to absorb.
Just exciting to see all the comments and knowing that there is a small possibility that some of us may get one item that we can never again get.

Last edited by Craig Osbeck; Thu Jul 23 2015 07:50 PM.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Guys- I have zero, nada, zip of my savings invested in my collection and view it as pure entertainment. However I have spoken to a number of guys who have 3-800k invested in this stuff and it is a chunk of their retirement. Sure you can say to them stay out of the fire, I am just not that way. Several are moving high dollar items now to protect their investment. Do you think mecum got their 'road art' auction merchandise from buying out collection's ? No some of the big guys are slimming down. Btw- the mecum auction in Denver was horrible...items hardly met reserve. I guess they only go nutty at Barrett!

This is a valuable discussion for all to have. I have a business mind, that's what I do. The hobby is my release. I don't fear anything I have going down in value as it's just art and decoration. I too look forward to taking advantage of a ton of stuff falling through the cracks and decorating a new building.

Guys- compare this, to a much lesser extent and apples to oranges to the housing crash, but some of the same trends hold true. Did the banks turn around and put those houses right back on the market asap? No they would have killed the Economy. They have been slowly pushing them out so you, I and everyone else who used there house as a retirement plan and savings device would be protected as much as possible.

I really wish Kyle wishes to have his collection preserved in a muesem, as he wished and the deal he made.

With that said who wants to start a betting pool for the top ten grossing signs in order? Top ten globes? $20 buy in Jim Potts holds the $$ and gets 10% off the top to keep the site rolling? Anyone interested?

Scott Wright
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
If we had a list of the items it would be great, but I am sure this will all come in time. Most of the stuff some of us have never seen.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ed's explanation as to why this series of auctions will not drive prices down is spot on.
But if prices were to go down I don't see it as a bad thing. On the contrary, that would allow collectors to add some desirable items to their collections that might otherwise go to the investors.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Have not seen anything listed in the October 5 sale, is some of this still going to be in that sale, and Is there any list of stuff that is going to be sold yet ? Getting closer.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dan Matthews had a printed list of items that will be in this first auction and I'm sure you can get a copy from him. He was passing them out at Iowa Gas.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved