Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#624678 Thu Aug 06 2015 12:44 PM
OP Offline
Hi All

I'm new to the forum.

I recently received an Erie pump and have cleaned it up and now at the point of deciding on a plan for the restoration.

I have cleaned the VR computer and it is working nicely, and, will be sending the frame, base, and shelves out for sandblasting and powder coating, but was considering leaving the doors "as is" as they look kinda cool with the patina. But the paint scheme is not original, there are definite signs of this pump having been spray painted with the doors on, at some point in it's past.

Also the layout seem un-authentic,

Any suggestions ?

Erie77Skins.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
The decals are repros for sure. The scheme is made up as well. If it were mine, I'd restore it and not feel guilty, but I know what you mean about the vintage look. Did you gut that pump?

OP Offline
Hey Mike,

When I got the pump there was no pump or motor in it. I have completely disassembled the pump, and will send the frame, base, shelves and manifolds out for Sandblasting and Powder coating. But was just trying to decide what to do with the doors.

I think I will powdercoat the doors white, and the top and sides red, then I can decide on 3 or 4 different brands that match that scheme.

I think I'll get repo porcelain signs as I really like the look of them over the decals

Last edited by Scaramoucheii; Thu Aug 06 2015 08:29 PM.
OP Offline
Here is what it looked like when I received it.

It has a decent hose and nozzle as well. So now trying to decide on keeping it Mobilgas, and globe or, no globe.

But I do like the idea of installing Porecelain signs, I think it would add more of a 1940's look.

IMG_2600 copy.jpg
Last edited by Scaramoucheii; Thu Aug 06 2015 08:31 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What your asking is really up to you, do what you like of course. I get the sense you want an original paint scheme, or maybe more correctly stated, a paint scheme layout recommended by the gas brand as many gas stations just did whatever they wanted IMO. You could flip through PCM guide to restoration and look for an original scheme for an Erie and use that. I wouldn't do any painting or powder coating until you decide on the brand. I like to use paint personally.

I really like Erie pumps, haven't had a chance to do one yet unfortunately! I stay away from red and white personally, it's a cursed color combo for me, doesn't sell!

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...solid red with a black base would work for Texaco...solid red with a red base would work for Mobil...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
The reason I asked if it was gutted was because when I gutted mine, it became really rickety. I had to brace it, and I'm wondering if you have that issue also.

OP Offline
Thanks for the input guys.

As far as the "rickety" question. This pump has all the shelves that were bolted to the frame that supported the pump and motor. As well at the shelf for the Computer (VR 45, working nicely) and, the topshelf for the manifold. It was very ridgid before I dissassembled it.

My step daughetr and I are still browsing for a paint scheme, we certainly do want something authentic, and have been looking through a lot of vinatge original images trying to make a decision.

I did get the ID tag cleaned off and Jack Sim was kind enough to identify the pump as an Erie 771, built in September 1947. So we are looking for something of that Vintage.

I posted the ID tag on a seperate thread.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=624837#Post624837

Last edited by Scaramoucheii; Sat Aug 15 2015 06:06 AM.
OP Offline
Here is a pic of the interior before I removed all the components.

All the shelf bolts were tight and, the side panel screws were tight as well. The entire structure was very solid.

Erie771_Interior.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like a nice pump

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
OP Offline
So I have the pump out being blasted and powder coated.

I'm about to purchase the Globe and Decals.

Would this pump have used a 13" or a 15 " globe ?

I like the idea of a 15" globe, is that size suitable for this pump ?

It is a big , tall, pump and I'm worried that a 13" may look to small?

Thoughts ?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Scaramoucheii
So I have the pump out being blasted and powder coated.

I'm about to purchase the Globe and Decals.

Would this pump have used a 13" or a 15 " globe ?

It is a big , tall, pump and I'm worried that a 13" may look to small?

Thoughts ?

That would depend on what brand you're going to restore it to.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
OP Offline
So the answer to question 1,

Would this pump have used a 13" or a 15" globe ?

Would be that, depending what company was putting the globe on, it could be either

But question 2 ...

I still like the idea of the 15" globe, and, have seen a few 15" globe designs that I like, but I was just a bit worried that the 15" may appear "oversized" for this pump.

I did find another thread last night that had a pic of 2 Bennett 646 pumps, one with a 15" globe and another with a 13.5".

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=413159

The 15" Gilmore Globe looks quite nice, and well proportioned.

Assuming that the Bennett 646 and the Erie 77 are approximately the same size, the Erie 77 should also look well balanced with a 15" globe.

Has anybody had experience installing a 15" globe on a Erie 77 or Erie 771 ?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like the look of 15 inch better than 13 1/2. Here is a 16 1/2 inch, a little big but I like it. The other one is a 13 1/2. Also using a high profile or low profile body give a visual difference in size.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Scaramoucheii
So the answer to question 1,

Would this pump have used a 13" or a 15" globe ?

Would be that, depending what company was putting the globe on, it could be either

But question 2 ...

Even though some companies used both 15 and 13 1/2 inch globes during the same time period, chances are they used 13 1/2" globes on pumps that were put into service in 1947.

If an older pump was already in use with a metal body globe they may have left the 15" globe in service.
The vast majority of globes put into service after the war were 13 1/2" glass or plastic body.

It really does make a difference on which company you plan to restore the pump to if you want it to be historically correct. That being said, it's your pump. Put whatever globe you want on it.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved