Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Thanks Lastgas

I just read a post that you commented on from 2004

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5204

The Globe I'm considering is the 15" Richfield Aviation,

http://www.slamaglobe.com/globes/15_332.html

And then, using a large Tall Eagle Decal on the front of the door.

http://www.slamaglobe.com/gas_decals/richfieldtalleaglegpd.html

I noticed that in the 2004 post you mention that Richfield 15" globes were common.

Perhaps the Richfield Aviation globe and the Large Tall Eagle decal weren't of the same time period, but I think they would look great together and I think that counts for a lot.

Do you know what time period the Richfield Aviation Globe was used ?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No, I didn't say Richfield Aviation globes were common!

According to the Gas Globe CD, the Richfield Aviation globe you're interested in was used from 1924-1930. You won't be the first to do a non-historically correct pump build.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
OP Offline
Right, I didn't mean to mis-quote you,

I do understand that a Richfield Aviation, single globe lens, with original body, collected one of the highest prices ever at auction, so yes very un-common,

I was paraphrasing that ... a Richfield 15" globe would be the size one would commonly expect a Richfield globe to be, as you state in the post from 2004

And I quote.

"Richfield from L.A. used only 15" globes"

Thank you for dating the Globe, I think that I'll continue on with this pump scheme design as a "Richfield Aviation", as there has been nothing about the Logo's or the Company history that dosen't impress me.

OP Offline
So I have ordered the 15" Richfield Aviation Globe, and a few decals.

I pick the pump parts up from the Powder Coat shop on Saturday Morning, so hopefully can post a few more pics Sunday after bolting the frame back together.

OP Offline
So I have assembled the pump and it turned out quite nice. A couple of pics here showing before and after.

Blasted, Powder Coated, and new bolts with a wipe of Lithium grease.

Frame_Base_Before.jpg Frame_Base_After.jpg
OP Offline
The ALMOST finished pump, a few small details to take cake of that can be done in the Billiards Room.

Anybody out there have the Stainless Steed bars that support the Ad Glass please PM me.

Erie_Richfield_3.jpg
K
K
Nice looking pump, are you going to be putting the stainless ribbed bottom trim back on?

OP Offline
Thanks Ken.

All the shelves, and the covers for the VR were powdercoated as well, the interior looks great also.

Yes I have the stainless ribbed trim for the bottom. You can just see the one on the right hand side, just balanced in place.

Unfortunately somebody before me sandblasted them and they now have a MATT gray finish, I have cleaned them and the inside is bright and shiny, but the outside is dull gray.

Anyway, the steel mounting plates were very rusted and I just need to get around to recreating some mounting plates for them. I may get them on the buffing wheel and try and bring them back a bit.

One of the small jobs that can be done while I enjoy the pump.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
You did a nice job on your Erie. I don't know if you ever found the ad glass strips but Tom Buckles has them for sale (tbuckles on here). Also, if you want to take the time and put in the effort, you can revive the stainless pieces at the bottom by sanding them in stages starting with 220 or 320 grit and gradually working to 600 and 1000 or 1500 grit and then buffing them. It will take some time but can be done. The easier way is to find a set that hasn't been blasted and buff them. Tom may have a pair of those two, I got one from him for my last Erie rebuild. ......GB

Here is a 748 I did in DX a couple of years ago, basically the same as the 77:

image.jpeg
Last edited by Rabbitman; Thu Jan 07 2016 04:51 PM.
OP Offline
I did order a pair of the Ad Glass stainless trim from tbuckles, and have received it, they look great.

I will try and restore the stainless bottom trim as best I can, or maybe just spray it with "aluminium paint" and be done with it for the time being, (Can't damage then any more than they already are) But, I will contact Tom and see what the going price is for a pair of shiny ones :-) And have that as an option.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved