Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#624998 Sun Aug 09 2015 11:03 AM
Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Before I post my Iowa Gas stuff tonight in BOTW I wanted to post this sign here to see if anyone else has this sign or has seen another like it, as my search thru the internet has come up empty. I'm hoping at some point to find an old photo showing it in use but so far I haven't had a chance to search.

Looking at the sign, I'm guessing it to be from the 1920's due to the can shape and early Tiolene colors. The sign is single sided tin in a wooden frame and measures 36" x 48".

My History so far on this sign is pretty simple as I was contacted by a very nice woman after she was doing a search on Pure Oil and found a few of My threads here on Old-Gas. Her dad had gotten this sign many years back at an auction in Illinois or Indiana, and before he passed he told her to hang onto this sign as he thought it to be rare as he had never seen another. She was trying to find a nice home for the sign to help out her 14 year old niece offset some treatment costs as she is at the tail end of a so far winning cancer fight. Once she started shopping the sign around to set a price, she was overwhelmed by the "Pickers" who came at her with cash in hand hoping to score a quick flip. This is where she contacted me on what my thoughts were. I talked to her about Dan Matthews and other Auctions to find it a home with a collector because of how her dad had loved the sign. After many phone and internet conversations along with showing her my collection photos, I made an offer on the sign and after more conversations and counter offers we made a deal.

Now at this point I was able to use the wonderful Transportation board on Old-Gas to find a member who was only 15 minutes away. I want to take a moment to thank Ernie Arnold and his friend Guss Neff for the great service! I still owe you both a few cold ones.

The sign was boxed up so well that I just put it in the trailer till we got home and unloaded yesterday, then it was like Christmas morning as a child....LOL

And information that anyone has or photos of another would be greatly appreciated.

Also please keep the young woman (Chelsey) who is battling cancer in your prayers. I will always know that this sign will be special to me for more reasons than just being a Pure Oil sign.

IG buys 015.jpg

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Mike M. #625000 Sun Aug 09 2015 11:21 AM
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Super sign Mike.

Mike M. #625003 Sun Aug 09 2015 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice sign and story! Probably not many of those left because of how good of a target it would make.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mike and I discussed this sign at Iowa. Whoa, I finally get to see it. Congrats Mike. It's killer. Never seen another either.

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
Mike M. #625021 Sun Aug 09 2015 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice sign and story. Also Ernie and Gus are awesome guys they have helped me a few time as well.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Mike M. #625022 Sun Aug 09 2015 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Awesome sign !!!

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Mike M. #625089 Sun Aug 09 2015 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sweet sign Mike!

Braden Splichal

Mike M. #625615 Thu Aug 13 2015 10:08 AM