Next Thread
Print Thread
#62700 Sun Sep 16 2007 09:31 PM
P
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
P
Just thought I'd ask your opinion. I've seen a couple of auctions lately on ebay where the same bidder, after meeting the reserve, bids one, two, or even three times more without anyone else bidding. Obviously the price doesn't change because it's the same person, but I'm wondering if there's any reason for this, cuz to me it seems like it might be a back-door way of someone driving the price up on their auction. I can understand one time, possibly to increase your previous bid "just in case", but two or three time more? Any ideas?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#62701 Sun Sep 16 2007 09:40 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Auction scare tactic #5

If you are high bidder nibble bid even if you are only going a few bucks more (it may make the competition think you are in for way more and they may not have a chance)

IE So the auction is at 260 the high bidder is in at 275. They may only want to pay 299 but if they do that in 3 more bids it can look like they may be in for hundreds more!

May work , maybe not .. but if someone gives up because of it.. it did work!!

#62702 Mon Sep 17 2007 05:43 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I agree with dodogas. If it's an experienced bidder, it was most likely a psychological ploy to fool others into thinking the bid was much higher than it actual was. Also, in a few instances inexperienced bidders will enter several bids not understanding why the bidding increments have't changed.

#62703 Mon Sep 17 2007 07:43 AM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
If what I think you are saying you are both wrong. If the opening bid is, let's say, $50 and I bid $200, only the $50 is going to show. If someone then bids $75 my original bid of $200 still is high so the bid goes to $76 and I am still shown as the high bidder. It will go that way until the bid tops the $200 mark.
Ray

Looking for a nice Ace High sign

#62704 Mon Sep 17 2007 08:11 AM
P
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
P
Dodo and Pablo,
That is what I'm talking about. Once the high bid has been met, they nibble the bid up, not changing anything except the # of bids. I guess that makes sense...seems like there's more "action" then there really is. Now I now.
Thanks

#62705 Mon Sep 17 2007 08:12 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Ray,
Yes, the bidding sequence you are describing is correct. However, I think the post was referring to the situation where the current high bidder then enters additional subsequent bids. In that case you will see entries for these additional bids but the amounts are not displayed, only the last high bid amount (or reserve, if met). None of these additional bid amounts will be dislayed unless or until another bidder goes higher.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved