Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Today is the one year anniversary of Dick Bennett's passing

I remember one of the first times we talked about 15 years ago he had seen me post on old gas using my initials "db" he said that those were his and I should not use them on old gas we both laughed pretty good on that one. I don't think I ever did use my initials again.

I was digging through some emails tonight and found this one that he sent me just a couple of hours before his passing.

August 28th 5:54 pm

Dick wrote: Have been very Short winded for couple of weeks & in-between ins. coverage. Medicare starts on Monday & will get in for tests.
Hopefully they can get it figured out

I Wrote: Uncle db what the heck is this short winded thing? You been smoking to much??

He replied: The short winded started just after I Quit smoking. I have been cutting
back over the last year. Use to smoke 1-2 pk a day.

I replied: Let me know about your doctor visit and what you find out.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is sad, I still miss him dearly. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I miss his humor.. I tried to get him to come to CTO but, he said "I rarely cross the big muddy" Miss ya DB!!

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
I miss his straight forward answers. Nothing politically correct, just plain old truth. My kind of guy. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Rob, Dennis, and I were just talking about this at Iowa. I think about him all the time..

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Like many others, I was shocked when Dan McGuffey texted me and said DB had died. I was in disbelief, we had been emailing back and forth all evening previous, come to find out it sounded like he was emailing a bunch of us that evening!
I too miss his directness, his no BS and no sugarcoated replies. There are posts almost daily I think, boy, what would DB say to this guy, lol! At first I was the target of those coarse replies, but over the years we became friends. I always said I think Dick was that way to "newbies" especially as he was testing to see who was truly interested in preserving the history and knowledge of what we collect, versus the ones only in the hobby for the money or quick financial gains.
I'm sure he knows there are many of us thinking about him today......
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
it's just amazing how many of us were involved in PM's with him when he died! I still have the message and when ever I'm in there cleaning out old messages, I take a moment to go through the whole message and laugh as he was on a roll that day before he passed. I miss him every day.

His humor on a few of the Newbie's...LOL

Newbies_zps7e5f3e05.jpg

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In memory of him on so many levels..

coldpizza.jpg
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Miss his help, knowledge, and quick quips.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i can only imagine the time he spent collaborating with everyone... his email & PM box must have been constant with new mail!

sure do miss his PMs... wish i could have met him in person.

I'm going to look in my email and see if I cant find the PMs he sent me 1-yr ago today.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
just read thru my old emails, had a good laugh... here's a good one that he sent just a week before his passing (i think it was about someone's posts in the for sale section):

DB-PM3.jpg

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes he was at times caustic, abrasive and sometimes too direct for his own good BUT he was at the same time quick witted, funny and endearing. Like all the people above, he was always in touch with us/me as DB, or watching over us as Watchdog 7, so not much on OG got by him. He was always personally very helpful and he even lent a hand.
The site is different to be sure and I imagine the trailer park and Santa Paula is far less interesting without Dick. Judy's life will be quieter and I hope she is doing well one year out!
Rest easy DB-all though I think that would be hard for you to do even now!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think of DB everyday! Never met the man but conversed with him many times. Since his passing it motivated me to finish the pump he sent me parts for. Of course the parts came with DB's special packing material a bunch of oranges...

DB sent me all the window trim for my Smithway L1 pump. I did not clean or paint the trim pieces so I can always remember when I look at the pump.

photo 1.JPG

Got Socony???

Tom
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DB was a great man for sure. Started doing quart repairs and lidding thanks to him. He will be and is missed for sure.
Still have his emails he sent me. Got one almost every day. That man really cared about the hobby. He loved to give the newbies a hard time just to see where their heads were at.

Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will add my name to those who miss db.

Him and I would send emails back and forth on a pretty regular basis, almost daily... We got to the point where, I decided to make a folder in my emails just for the ones from db so I could keep them separate... I did the same for emails from Paddy, Doug(Blacktee), Oldgas members in general and Veedol_AL...

I wish I had decided to start the folder a few years before, I did...

RIP db!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved