Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hello everyone,

All I can say is Dick has left an empty spot in my life and here on Old Gas. This man was a living legend. We had our falling out but in the end we had become great friends. Whenever I go down to my pump junkyard I feel as though he is still there smoking a cig. and tinkering with pumps next to me. The funny thing is one day I thought I saw him from the corner of my eye down there standing under the awning that he built for me. It was a strange feeling but I felt as though he was there. I visit with Judy often and she is still taking the loss of Dick hard.

Take Care,
Rob

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
While Dick an I never met personally, we certainly had some lively phone calls . Some of his humor was raunchy , but Dick was a perfectionist and NO ONE could top that . Once again , it was Dick who did the decals for this Model that became known as the Amoco Projek and then, the model was picked up by yet another member here at OLd Gas and became a reference point to restore a REAL Amoco in Roanoke Virginia

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I sure do miss the guy along with his humor, knowledge and presence on this site and to the hobby. He was a great guy that I never got to meet in person. It got to the point that he would start sending me PM's and we would talk a little bit, but I would mainly laugh at his humor lol. I miss him. Great guy. RIP Dick.

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You know I never got to meet him in person either but I will have to say its odd how someone I only talked through pm messages had such a long lasting impression on me others . I work nights and am a night owl anyways and I could always expect a late night pm message on the weekends and it was usually some crazy sarcastic joke . I miss ol db too. He was the one that gave me the idea to build the eye brow to protect my Sinclair neon that hangs outside , he sure had some great ideas.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
A good friend of mine asked if I would like to go out to Cali.on a road trip to deliver parts and pick up a pump. That was my first time I meet Dick Bennett. I made many of trips to his place after that and enjoyed every Trip. He became a really good friend. Like others I think of him every day. He was like family . RIP Dick

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By gasmansgp
I miss his straight forward answers. Nothing politically correct, just plain old truth. My kind of guy. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

I agree with you Paul.

I hope Judy does better this year.

RIP Dick

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
He was a storehouse of knowledge that cannot be replaced. RIP
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As often as he emailed and PM'd so many people, I wonder how DB ever had time to do anything?

I enjoyed his sense of humor. When a big snow storm would be forecast for my area he'd email me a picture of a snow shovel, or talk about it being 86 degrees in Santa Paula. It was always 86.

And then there were the emails about people. As knowledgeable as DB was about pumps, he was just as good about reading people.
Everyone knows that DB could be hard on people. Especially those that were in the "hobby" for the wrong reasons. What may surprise some is that DB would privately come to people's defense when I was a moderator.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ahhh, Dick's packing material!!! Oranges or his recycling!! I used to specify the oranges.

One time we traded a bunch of his California Avocados, Oranges, and Lemons and I sent him some New York Cheddar, Maple Syrup, Hoffman Hot Dogs, and Salt Potatoes. He didn't know how to cook the hot dogs the right way!!

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By Lastgas15
As often as he emailed and PM'd so many people, I wonder how DB ever had time to do anything?

I enjoyed his sense of humor. When a big snow storm would be forecast for my area he'd email me a picture of a snow shovel, or talk about it being 86 degrees in Santa Paula. It was always 86.

And then there were the emails about people. As knowledgeable as DB was about pumps, he was just as good about reading people.
Everyone knows that DB could be hard on people. Especially those that were in the "hobby" for the wrong reasons. What may surprise some is that DB would privately come to people's defense when I was a moderator.

Bob Don't forget Dick was always barefoot too. ; ) Yes He was always emailing people, of course there was that long period where he was disabled too remember.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By blacktee

Bob Don't forget Dick was always barefoot too. ; ) Yes He was always emailing people, of course there was that long period where he was disabled too remember.

Doug did he send you a copy of the xray taken after his fall?

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DB was an asset to the hobby. At times he was a grumpy old fart but he told it like it is. A lot of knowledge was lost when he passed. I bought a pump part from him once, sold him some stuff also. I would have liked to have bought something from his collection to set up on the shelf and say that was from DBs collection.

Last edited by Wes Maxwell; Tue Sep 01 2015 08:05 AM.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
😢😢

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Iowa Gas a couple years ago.

DSC08191_zpsb2aac437_1_.jpg

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I remember him sitting there like that. Right across from our space. I think that is the year he over heated. Miss the old guy!

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved