Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#628376 Thu Sep 03 2015 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
About 5 or 6 years ago, I stopped in a small town about 20 miles from home, and I was able to buy the "Fairbanks Scales" sign from the side of this old grain elevator. I spent some time with the owner and got a tour of the interior of the elevator and even got to buy a tin sign dated 1928, that announced the name of the construction company that built the facility!
I've often driven past the town and wondered if I had been diligent enough in looking the place over for advertising signs? I got my chance a couple days ago when I was in the town looking at something else that another person owned. I asked my friend if the owner of the old elevator was still around and he replied that the old man had passed away, but his son lived just down the block.
I left his place and drove over to chat with the deceased mans son and to inquire as to whether or not I could go thru the place again. He was more than happy to spend some time talking about the old place and was anxious to go over there with me.
The interior was just exactly as I remembered it with very little changed. We decided to look over the office area, and as we entered, I began scanning the walls to see what I might have missed? We stood talking for several minutes when I happened to look at the floor and noticed a round metal disc laying on the floor. It was secured in place by a couple of nails placed around the perimeter, and he said it was just a piece of tin that the old parlor stove used to sit on!
Now I don't remember any stove from my last visit, but I sure recognize porcelain when I see it and I told him I was positive we were looking at the back side of a porcelain sign! With a puzzled look, he bent down and moved a couple of nails so he could lift the sign-- and THERE IT WAS!
Evidently there had been a Buick dealership in this little town that had been located just across the street from the elevator! I suppose they had given up an old sign at some time or another when a piece was needed to set the new parlor stove on?
How in the heck did I miss it on my first visit to the elevator? I KNOW that I was in the same room and standing in virtually the same spot on the last trip-- and somehow had missed seeing the round porcelain sign on the floor in front of my feet? AMAZING!
I really enjoyed my time with the man that now owns the place and I have plans to go back some day, because he showed me a pile of dirt where he swears that at least 2 pumps and some signs are buried! Not only that, but we confirmed it, because there is a corner of an old sign sticking up in the overgrown grass that is porcelain! CAN YOU SAY BACKHOE!!!
Pictures are of the old elevator and a "before" & "after" of the Buick sign!
I hope you enjoyed the little story, and the moral of the story is: "Take the time to go back for a second look"--it might surprise you!!

Brinsmade elevator 001.JPG Brinsmade elevator 002.JPG Brinsmade elevator 004.JPG Buick sign & ND plates 006.JPG

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Great story and score Kevin! Congrats!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pretty cool Kevin .

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sweet find & nice story Kevin. This reminds me of a golf analogy; the more you practice the luckier you get. The more you look the more likely you are to find something!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
amazing story & find, congratulations ... cool

RANDY
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Kevin......If you ever go to Las Vegas, can I come along??

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Great story Kevin!

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Nice find....neat old building full of history!

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Congrats.... you just keep finding em'.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
cool story... now go get rent that excavator!

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great story. Makes you wonder what's under the dirt pile.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That cleaned up nice .

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By pickurt
Great story. Makes you wonder what's under the dirt pile.

According to what I was told, there were 2 pumps(type unknown) with Standard Oil crowns on them that got buried, along with some porcelain signs. One end of a Standard Oil strip sign is visible for about a foot, so at least I know where to start! LOL

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am on a road trip to ND! BTW Kevin what town did you say that elevator was in? smile
I am sure you'll keep us in the loop when you start the petroleum archeological dig. Sounds like it will be fun but I would suggest shovels and not a back hoe. The treasure will be straighter that way.

P
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
P
Sounds like a fun adventure, glad you got them. Better get back over there before the North Dakota weather freezes the ground.

Thanks, Phil

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved