Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Steve C.
Mike, does your porcelain one have the 190 on it?

No Steve, the 3 blue ones I have are all porcelain and do not have a 190 on them. Maybe that's only the tin ones are the 190's.

Question to other members...Doe's anyone have an original Sunoco Porcelain Pump Plate that has 190 on it?

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Mike,
I have a copy of "PCM'S Guide to Gas Pump Restoration" They list 4 Sunoco pump plates that are the vertices diamond shaped with the arrow..2 are blue and 2 are yellow. They are a blue, Blue Sunoco (plain) and a blue Blue Sunoco 190 and the yellow, Blue Sunoco 200 and the yellow Blue Sunoco 200 X. I am not sure which is which concerning porcelain and tin. But I did pass on the blue 190 and instead purchased a blue porcelain without the 190 (like the ones you have). It is a little bit bigger sign. This plain blue one is 19" by 22". According to PCM they were manufactured between 1959 and 1974. Thanks for your help.

S
S
The 190 was not made in Porcelain. Tin only! Nice sign and I don't know how I missed it

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is the story on the sign. In 1956 Sun Oil began experimenting with their Custom Blend pumps. The first group, found only in Florida, use a pump plate similar to the standard one in use at the time, the small Blue Sunoco diamond and the porcelain vertical stripes. Only difference was that this Blue Sunoco diamond had an extremely thick blue border. I have only ever seen one of these, and I have it in my collection. The second generation Custom Blend pump plate is the porcelain blue upper and lower section Blue Sunoco plate, with studs on the back. These were in common use by 1957-58 and used through about 1970. The older signs not immediately removed, but new Custom Blenders installed after about 1970 feature a decal of the then current logo, with the diagonal arrow, with only the word Sunoco, not blue Sunoco. These are the only pump plates ever used on Custom Blenders.
So what about the 200, 200X, and 190 plates? Well, while every Sunoco station was equipped with a Custom Blender pump by about 1958, the new blenders were not installed in every fueling position. Older pumps, usually the old M&S80 series pumps that had been in use since the late 1940s, were repurposed to sell only Sunoco's regular grade, which was Blue Sunoco 200. The older pumps that remained in use in the 1958-1965 or so era displayed the Blue Sunoco 200 plates, or the 200X for a temporary product promotion. The 190 plates, which were all tin as far as I have ever seen, were used in this same manner when Blue Sunoco 190 was introduced as a sub-regular grade, in 1961 I believe. Anyway, by 1965 or so most Sunoco stations had nothing but Custom Blender pumps, in every position, and the older pumps, along with the 200, 200X and 190 signs were no longer in use.

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Wayne, your the best!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Great information! Thanks Wayne...the man who wrote the book! I refer to your "Guide to Gas Pump Restoration" all the time. I feel honored to have your input. And thanks again Mike!
Learner in Texas,
Stephenwarren30

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved