Next Thread
Print Thread
#62899 Thu Mar 25 2004 01:07 AM
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Most of you guys have seen pictures of or even heard of the Hat & Boots Gas station here in the South Seattle community of
George town. In the last number of years the vandals and graffiti artists have had there way with the station until two years ago when a area committee decided to move the Hat & Boots a few blocks away from it's original location and restore it. I took them awhile to secure the funds to do this so they started the move and restoration about 4 months ago. Thought you guys might like a look at what is going on so far. Also was wondering if any one has any collectables related to this station?
I have a coupon for a free drinking glass with a fill up and a match book cover. http://www.hatnboots.org/

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#62900 Thu Mar 25 2004 01:15 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
This is what I have been advocating for years. The best way to preserve these old great service stations is to form a group, purchase the station and move it to a historical park.
The first one I ever say is a great little Sunoco station (with two American visibles out front) that was moved to a Dayton, Ohio park. The park is devoted to the history of Dayton and includes: a Stoddard-Dayton dealership with original cars inside; a building with a Dayton Locomotive inside it; one of the original Wright brothers bicycle building where they worked on the first airplane; and many more original historic building from the city of Dayton. Every day the park is full of school buses and they have a walking tour of all the buildings. If you are going to Ohio gas, take a little time to go there it is great.
Here in St. Louis an original porcelain Phillips 66 station that stood on old Route 66 was dismantled and dontated to our Museum of Transportation. Orignally a train musuem it has now gone in all directions devoted to transportation. Because of a lack of funds they still have not assembled the building but I look forward to seeing it finished. I donated a ton of P-66 oil filters, air filters etc. to be displayed inside. I tried to get them to go across the river to Illinois a bring back an Drive-in movie screen and large original sign that were there for the asking. I thought it would be great for a car club to come to the museum for an evening, getting a picture of their car getting gassed up at the station, then spending the evening watching a movie at the Drive-in. Still hasn't happened, but a good idea.
Do something before that bulldozer gets there. Everything starts from a small beginning.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved