Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#629558 Sun Sep 13 2015 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I was getting some lenses unboxed and mounted in globes last week and had a few wide glass bodies that I had picked up here and there to mount the lenses in. After mounting a couple of sets without issue I discovered a body that was not the standard width to accept a normal sized lens. I got out the tape measure and it was over a quarter of an inch smaller in diameter than all of the other wide glass bodies I have. The lenses will not fit into the perimeter of the face without hanging over and you can't even really get the screws in the slots without binding them. I grabbed a 13 1/4" Gill lens that I had handy and it plopped right in and would fit perfect, if it had slots for screws. What is this body for? I have read that there were several odd sizes of lenses made but have never ran on to any that I know of. Did some company make 13 1/4" slotted lenses for a glass body? If they did and you have a set, I have your body! Someone educate me on this please.......Gary

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There's not much info on 13 1/4 notched lenses. I have a 13 1/4 CAPCO body. Here's a link to the discussion about it.
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=580102&Searchpage=3&Main=95477&Words=13+14%22+capco&Search=true#Post580102

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Bob, guess I missed that discussion back in November a year ago. It looks like we now have a capco and a wide glass body for 13 1/4" notched inserts. This glass body is definitely made that size, you can't modify one of those, so there must be some inserts somewhere for that size frame. It's funny that this body surfaced in my collection as I was trying to figure out what was going on with the Tydol Ethyl insert I have that is 13 1/4" and notched. It is too small for the regular glass body that I have with an insert in it (it is an original matched globe and lens that had a broken lens on one side) and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I finally convinced myself that this smaller Tydol insert was in fact a Gill insert that has been hand notched due to a chip in one notch that made the notches look like they might not be original. Now I'm not sure. It fits this 13 1/4" wide body perfectly so maybe that's what it's for. I've never seen or heard of a notched Tydol insert that size but I've not seen that many. There may be more 13 1/4" notched inserts out there than we think as they will fit loosely into a 13 1/2" glass frame with the screws. If I had a pair, I sure would've never thought to look for a body that size, I'd never known them to exist. I don't know where I got this frame as it was on the shelf with others bought in various locales. If anyone else has any globes with loose fitting inserts maybe you should check closer and see exactly what size they are, you never know sometimes. Hope someone else weighs in on this that might have also missed the discussion last fall. You never know what will turn up in this hobby!....GB

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is the link for those wanting to read the thread:

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=580107

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved