Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By redindianguy
I have dealt with Dan Matthews first hand . I can tell you he wants no fakes, ever in an auction he is involved in .He was excellent with me . This week I had a high end collector call me on a sign that is going thru an auction in the USA it is a high end sign .He asked my opinion , This piece is not right at all . An auction house is like any business ,if you have 800 pieces going over the block , then its your job to authenticate 800 pieces . That's why you make the percentage of profit you do . I have collected since I was 13 , things have changed a lot . BryceG and Done4, you guys are right on. Nowadays a lot of trading and selling goes on between respected collectors . Ebay seems to be fading in any high end items , because they do not police fake sellers . I would buy from Dans auction , without worry that he stands behind what he sells . I have been in business for 25 years , I would never deceive a customer and expect to stay in business . Neither should a reputable auction house .Just my humble opinion .

I agree 100%.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Done4 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Redindianguy, thank you, when I started collecting I relied on the reputation of the seller. My concern is that because a lot of auctions are on line and too far away to attend the credibility aspect of the seller is no longer an issue in their mind. The biggest problem is that a product is being produced to deceive the buyer and pry on the uninformed who are so excited about getting that piece to being their collection.

Last edited by Done4; Fri Sep 11 2015 06:22 PM.

Have gas all the time
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I like the way Dan Matthews represents a sale. I read through the entire listing in which there are 34 items noted and having been repainted of which 19 or so are one piece globes with repaints. It also notes which signs are restored or repainted and that to me says that Morphy's are as honest as they can be about things.

Earl

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I agree with the above comments on Dan's trying to get the most information out that is possible. The better the auctions and his representation the better the people can trust. IT is very difficult to watch every thing, but that is what we all hope for.

Craig
Done4 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
To me, that is the way it should always be. When buyers can't be at the location we rely on pics and descriptions, especially with the amount of money that is being thrown out there on this stuff we need an up right presentation.

I believe the more we call to attention these issues it may force auction houses to be more sensitive to these questions/concerns. I can only hope and appreciate this attention that Dan has provided.

Have gas all the time
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved