Print Thread
#631312 Mon Sep 28 2015 11:21 AM
C
coopwyo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
I haven't posted in a while, so I thought I'd show off a one of a kind piece that was a one in a million find.

I like to metal detect, so this summer I was out in the wilds of Wyoming and got a pretty good hit on my machine. I dug down about a foot and found the end of a pipe -- dang! However, I had a bunch of other junk metal in the back of my pickup that I was going to take to the recycler so I figured I'd dig up that pipe and add it to the pile. Normally I would never dig that up.

So I dug, and dug, and dug, and after about 8 feet I was sick of digging the stupid thing. I could tell that I was getting to the end of it because my detector wouldn't read much past where I was. So, I decided to grab the end of the pipe and see if I could pull it up out of the ground.

When it popped out of the ground, the sign that you see was at the end of the pipe. Naturally it was all rusted and ***** looking, but I could tell right away that it was a really cool piece. I brought it to school and had a couple kids sand blast it. We could then tell that it was probably hand made by one of the ranchers that lives out in that area, using a drill press and an end mill. Judging by the difference between what the sign says and what the mileage is today, we determined it was probably made in the late 1930's.

A friend of mine told me that there was probably reflective paint used on the letters. I checked everywhere for reflective paint and I guess nobody makes such a thing. I was finally able to find these small glass beads that when sprinkled into the wet paint stuck really well. Once we hit them with a flashlight, we could tell that they were perfect for our application.

You can see how well they illuminate the letters in the second picture. The sign almost glows when headlights hit it at night.

I had to buy a whole pound of the beads and they were really expensive. We used barely any of them and I'd really like to re-coupe some of our money if possible. The full bag cost $40.00 -- I'd like to get $25.00 for what's left. Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks!

Chris

sign.png sign 2.jpg reflective beads.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
cool sign & restoration.. ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I'd like to see a 'before' picture...seriously doubtful it was made by a rancher...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
C
coopwyo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
I should've known you'd spout off -- especially when you have no idea what it is you're talking about. I know you seem to think you are the new old curmudgeon of the site, but you aren't cutting it.

The sign was found at the intersection of two roads on private land. The ranches in that area are probably 30 miles apart with nothing in between. They would've been even more isolated back when that sign was made. From the workmanship on the sign it is obvious it is hand-made (see the U in Douglas) and probably just for their own personal use.

This is my second consecutive post that you've felt the need to criticize. Regarding my posts, I would appreciate it if you'd refrain from posting your worthless comments in the future. Thanks.

Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
hello,i hate to jump in here at this tense time,but.i have a sign like the one shown but with destinations local to me.i have seen 1 other than mine and it was unpainted with silver paint in the dots that were drilled for the letters like mine. i have also seen these signs in pictures of the goodrich crew hanging them.i collect early road signs and have been researching them for years but i'am not a expert.
peace

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
What a great find! I have read Goodrich did post several of these signs starting in about 1908, some were metal, some porcelain. If anyone is interested....

Here is similar one that sold at Morphys:

http://morphyauctions.hibid.com/lot/1913...amp;ref=catalog

And if you go to the 5th picture on this eBay post, there are two ads that have more information on these signs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Inch-Round-Me...=item1a069f3fcb

Aaron

Looking for National Old Trails Road Signs NOTR and Arizona State/US Route and Road Signs.
C
coopwyo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Thanks for the info!!!!

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

Very cool find !

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By coopwyo
I should've known you'd spout off -- especially when you have no idea what it is you're talking about. I know you seem to think you are the new old curmudgeon of the site, but you aren't cutting it.

The sign was found at the intersection of two roads on private land. The ranches in that area are probably 30 miles apart with nothing in between. They would've been even more isolated back when that sign was made. From the workmanship on the sign it is obvious it is hand-made (see the U in Douglas) and probably just for their own personal use.

This is my second consecutive post that you've felt the need to criticize. Regarding my posts, I would appreciate it if you'd refrain from posting your worthless comments in the future. Thanks.

???? - this is a PUBLIC forum, and I'll post when I damn well feel like it...if you don't like it, that's your problem...

...I was content to post what I did - which was not a 'criticism' - figuring someone with a similarly-manufactured sign would post a picture and set the record straight...but you had to blow your stack, so here goes:

...yes, it's obviously 'hand-made' - that's how they would have made custom signs (for unique locations, with mileages displayed) back then...the materials used were cheaper than porcelain enamel - and labor was dirt cheap...B. F. Goodrich paid a sign company to make signs to post throughout the (at that time) recently created highway system...

...however, in your mind - the most LOGICAL explanation for this sign's existence is that some rancher took the time out of his workday to make this sign - not a simple square sign from a scrap of something, but one die-cut in a fanciful design - and devoted extra time to advertise a TIRE COMPANY - and then somehow (in the middle of nowhere, in the 1920's) found a source for glass schmalz so the sign would be reflective when he painted it - so it would be seen by...well...who, exactly - given that the area was 'even more isolated back when the sign was made'?

...that's so unlikely a scenario, it's positively absurd...

...furthermore - you said the mileages are different today, than indicated on the sign...how do you even know you even found the sign in its original location? Perhaps the sign was moved 50 years ago - after the original finish was gone, and it was nothing but rust, and/or lying in a ditch - and repurposed/painted with an arrow, just to mark the private road, or location of someone's ranch?

...I've said my piece...whether you think it's 'worthless' is of no concern to me...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
C
coopwyo Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Yep, Worthless.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Coop,
Do what intelligent people do and 'block' his posts.
'Click' on his username (the 'blue' lettering above his Avatar), Click on 'View Profile' - then right in middle of the page - click on 'Ignore this User'
You won't ever have to read one of his posts again.
Later . . .
Jim

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Originally Posted By advertologist
cool sign & restoration.. ... cool

X2

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Anyone who would block mark (gulfiend).....doesn't have an intrest in learning. If he has something to say, you should be listening. Mark...your explanation is spot on.

To all those jump to the head of the class full throttle wannabes. I would encourage you to think about what's in your hands before you ask questions. It's funny how a guy that doesn't even have the object in front of him can figure it out on faster pace than the owner.

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By coopwyo
Yep, Worthless.

Ken / Richlube , Aaron / AZ 66 and Mark / Gulfiend are all correct....these were individually made but not by a local rancher. Have seen several in collections from here in California....and also photos of them in the wild in use....finding out that you own an original rare road sign and not a "hand made" directional aid hardly seems "worthless" to me ???? Quite the contrary in my opinion

Last edited by pumpingethyl; Mon Sep 28 2015 07:21 PM.

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great, rare piece!

Braden Splichal

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved