Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#631209 Sun Sep 27 2015 06:34 PM
OP Offline
What is the best way to get the rust off these oil spouts??

image1.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'd start off with some fine steel wool.. ... cool

RANDY
OP Offline
my biggest concern is scratching the original finish. Will a fine steel wool leave scratch marks?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
use the double ott.. ... cool

RANDY
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
The original finish is gone.
Evapo-rust
You'll have to have them either black oxided or chromed or something.

Check this out too
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=467156&page=all

Last edited by Steve C.; Mon Sep 28 2015 03:34 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I use kaboom bowl blaster. It takes the rust off.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Well I use molasses for most stuff, I'm slow and it is too! But if I forget about it the molasses does not hurt the metal. After molasses you rinse the slosh around in the phosphoric acid solution, it's not too strong. Phosphoric is the main ingredient of the metal prep solutions, it will dissolve rust but if you forget about it it will eat the metal. Oxalic is good for painted cans and stuff, does not hurt paint, but eats the rust. Can collectors use this, I have mine in a kitty litter tub. The other two are in 55 gal drums, plus a kitty litter tub for small stuff. The good thing about phosphoric and molasses is disposal, it's no big deal. I called my local Epa guy to find out before I got the drums set up. He didn't know right off the top of his head so he calls me back with the info. His name is Mike, he is a car guy and a good guy too! I know some like to bash the Epa but I have been dealing with various chemicals and gases for 35 years. More Bull**it from haters than facts. With any chemical be smart and safe!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Also with chemicals, some can destroy your septic system, and aren't good to have go into public sewer systems as well. Check label, go online, and look up a copy of the MSDS (manufacture safety data sheet) for the product for more handling and disposal information.

Last edited by Nicole; Tue Sep 29 2015 12:32 AM.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I've had some luck with turning the pressure down and lightly misting with glass bead.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Originally Posted By stevo2283
What is the best way to get the rust off these oil spouts??

I doubt those spouts were anything but straight metal types to start from the looks. Chemical treatments like described will work especially for the knurled lid portions.

0000 steel wool can be used initially to determine how bad the metal is pitted. We use to use naval jelly all the time to clean smaller metal parts, very caustic though so wear gloves and clean the piece after using.

I'd dust them with a quick coat of sealing primer once you use whatever technique to de-rust them. Then you can paint them to your desired matte color when you're ready

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Evapo-rust. I have parts soaking in it right now. The label says it can be safely dumped down the drain (in most circumstances). [I think the "in most circumstances," is their way of saying if you soak something harmful in it, it should be disposed of properly; just to cover their rear end.]

I dump the gallon size in a 2 gallon bucket with a lid, and drop my parts in it. You can use it over and over several times. It costs about $23 / gallon.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Man. You guys.... go down to dollar store. Buy gallon or 2 of clear (or even brown) vinagar. Get a container with a lid cause the smell. Put the spouts in. Fill till the part your soaking is covered. Leave a week or two. You will be amazed. It dont eat any metal. Only attacks the rust......cost 5 bucks tops ....your welcome

1970 pro street cuda.
1970 cuda convertable
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I have found that the best thing for cleaning rust is pure lemon juice which I buy in a quart bottle in the super market. I just finished cleaning at least a dozen oil spouts. Soak in lemon juice overnight. The next day wipe off. It's that simple.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved