Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Its very tough to discuss "value" in a sale like this, because so many items have no sale history out there to form an opinion from. A lot of these very scarce items, rarely get traded publically, and the sale amounts are only discussed between two people.
Items cross the block and that given day, at that moment, they are worth exactly what the top bidder has to pay for them. Very ironic that we are able to even purchase items like these at a public auction, let alone be successful in our gauging of what to pay?
This was quite an event and will be the topic of many discussions for months to come, until the next one! History is being made with these sales, and I call it history, because it will be a long time before the topic of Kyle Moores collection fades from the forefront of topics discussed about the gas & oils collectibles hobby!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Don't take it that I am mad I just wanted to post my reason for bidding like I did. I really enjoy my signs and cans as most of you know! I was told by a fellow collector buy what you like and if you think you paid to much just wait you'll be happy to have it. I have no hard feelings about any of the comments at all and I did mean what I said if any has any 8"x12" pump plates I don't have I will pay up!
Thank you
Chad Duncan

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One does not see stuff like this everyday. Prices reflect that. Looks like some items went reasonably even figuring in premiums. I am glad that we can see the items and what they sold for, thanks Dan. Looked like a well run auction.

I can't imagine what it took to put a collection like that together. I don't know Mr. Moore, but it was pretty impressive stuff.

Just nice to see it.

Last edited by 59fairlane; Tue Oct 06 2015 06:17 PM.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
So many items went right up to the estimate, then stopped at that price, do you think if Dan would have estimated it higher it would have gone higher? I Find it hard to believe anybody can estimate one of a kind pcs and hit it on the head. Nothing against your estimates Dan, Just seems like a lot of bidders took the estimate to heart.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What an auction....

Braden Splichal

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
One does not know if the estimates made the prices higher or DAN JUST KNEW WHAT HE DOES WELL.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
There was a lot of great items and some at silly prices, it was great entertainment overall and I look forward to the next one. I'm just glad I was finally able to get that Polly neon.... Lmao...
Good times guys....

Looking for Johnson anything and Ca gas signs and ?
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Going back to the fact that I was not one of the bidders, I just envy Dan and wish I was one of his helpers when he first looked at this collection. I don't think there is any display/museum etc. that will ever come close to what he saw when he walked into where all this stuff was.

For any of you who didn't know Kyle Moore, you missed meeting one of the most gracious persons in this hobby you could ever meet. Kyle made his millions in the cable business, but even before this he fell in love with old sign, petro items, etc. He only bought the best and this is what is being presented to us now. I think he knew who I was, but this was never brought into the one conversation I had with him. It had to be 20 years ago at one of the CTO conventions. A group of us were sitting around a truck, most went off to their rooms leaving Kyle and me sitting on the tailgate. We discussed a number of things, but he was never a pretentious person. If you didn't know he had just stepped out that large RV on the back lot, you would have thought he was just a guy looking for sight glass for his Tokheim pump.
Naturally we all look forward to seeing four more auctions, 2400 more items, so if you are a new "picker" you have a hell of a hill to climb to match anything like this.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I haven't added up what it cost me to attend, but it was a significant amount. Two days off work, gas, meals, hotel for 3 nights. It adds up. I didn't buy anything at the auction. There were two globes that I had strong interest in (Blue Jay and Champion). I was the under bidder on one and darn near had the other bought but another bidder jumped in at the last second to keep the bidding going. There were maybe 7 or 8 more globes that I had some interest in and placed bids but I didn't really expect to get them. With what it cost to attend and not buying anything I'd still do it again. There were lots of items there I'll never have a chance to see again.

As far as Dan and his estimates..... They are just that....estimates. The only estimate that really counts is the one he gives the seller for the total collection. His track record speaks for itself.

There was a lot of talk about the restored signs. Don't misinterpret pricing of restored signs from this and the 4 upcoming auctions as wide spread acceptance of restored signs in the hobby. The fact that they were incredibly rare signs and that they belonged Kyle Moore has far more to do with it than a major shift in the way most veteran collectors feel about restored signs.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i just wish Kyle was still around so we could hear the stories about the signs & how they were acquired.

I know that one of the signs that brought big money was 1 of 8 that were found many years ago in near mint condition... those are the type of stories that seem to stick with me and I'm sure Kyle had a ton of them

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I agree with Dennis Leith estimates are just estimates they dont mean anything. The only reason that I do them now is that several of the online bidding platforms that Morphy's use require them. When I worked at Aumann's or for myself at Matthews Auctions I did not publish them.

What the hell do I know what someone wants to pay for something. I know what the item has sold for in the past but that is just the past it is not now.

That's my two cents.

Dan

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It was amazing to watch and be part of glad I made the trip . History was being passed on , there is no dollar value to watch that happen . Congrats to everyone involved , it was simply amazing to see.

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved