Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
I am looking to buy this 48" Sinclair sign from a guy who says he has had it for 35-40 years. I have never seen one with two colors bleeding into each other. If you look closely at where the red and the black porcelain meet at the top of the H, the dash and the C, you will see some overlap in the black and red (it looks like a shadow). It is about 1/4 inch wide at the top of the letters.

I actually own a version of this sign and the color lines are crisp. I was wondering if this should be a concern or not. If any of you own an HC Sinclair sign can you please see if any of them have this "shadow" where the colors meet.

I am slightly concerned because their is not as big of a 'lip' where the colors meet, when you rub your fingers across the sign and the REG US PAT OFF at the bottom is different than most I've seen. Do you think it is just from a different manufacturer or different era? Have they faked / fantasied this sign in 48"? Do you think this sign is legitimate?

Thank you all for any help.

aa1.JPG
sign in question

aa2.jpg
sign in question

aa3.JPG
sign in question

aa4.JPG
sign in question

Last edited by Speedracer; Fri Oct 09 2015 10:37 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
Some pictures of my good sign (plus I looked at several on the Old Gas Google search and real signs on e-bay)....

IMG_1062[1].JPG
REAL SIGN

IMG_2099[1].JPG
REAL SIGN

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
P
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
P
I have a 6' sign just like yours It also seemed to have fuzzy lines and not to heavy porcelain on it, However it is the original sign that was hung up in 1938 on an original Sinclair Pole that was installed in 1938. The 84 year old man I got the sign from his dad started running the station in 1938-1960 He kept the sign when it came down and changed to Texaco. While I was taking down the pole he came over and told me the story. It took me 2 years before he would sell me the sign. I have learned that different sign makers back then turned out different Quality and sharpness of the lines on the signs. Rest assured it is REAL.

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Nothing wrong with this one.

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Agree, its good.

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Legit and nice sign!

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
Thank you very much everyone. I really appreciate your expertise and the help that comes with this great web-site. I am going to try to get it now. It would probably be the cleanest porcelain sign I own.

I'm fairly new here, but I'm not convinced that one can make a definate decision about a sign from one picture, can you? One fellow mentioned he checked out "real signs" on ebay, but just because the owner claims they're real, doesn't mean they're real, right? I've have lots of well meaning individuals totally convinced that they had originals and would stake their first born on it, only to have to educate them on the fact that it is not authentic. If it were me, I would source out another truchworthy collector that has had one for many years and compare it to that.
Just my 2-cents,

Gary from Vintage Gold
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Agreed you can really never be sure of authenticity BUT the concerns that were originally mentioned don't seem like "red flags" to me.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Sat Oct 17 2015 01:19 AM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By VintageGold
I'm fairly new here, but I'm not convinced that one can make a definate decision about a sign from one picture, can you? One fellow mentioned he checked out "real signs" on ebay, but just because the owner claims they're real, doesn't mean they're real, right? I've have lots of well meaning individuals totally convinced that they had originals and would stake their first born on it, only to have to educate them on the fact that it is not authentic. If it were me, I would source out another truchworthy collector that has had one for many years and compare it to that.
Just my 2-cents,

I know your new here but I actually have "a few years" collecting under my belt (before I joined this site). Even so, you will always see something new in this hobby. That's one reason this site is so valuable, and as we always say on this site - when in doubt, just ask. And I am satisfied with the responses, because I know those who answered my concerns ARE trustworthy collectors.

And it was I (the original poster) who checked E-bay and the Old gas search engine for discrepancies. That is how you can learn - by researching known fakes (ebay) and known real signs (ebay and old gas). It's also good to try and learn and do your own research BEFORE coming to this site, than just asking a question expecting a quick answer. You will learn a lot this way. Some people come here and just ask, looking for an easy answer without doing their own homework first.

Last edited by Speedracer; Sat Oct 17 2015 08:32 PM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved