Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vernski Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Last weekend I was invited to tour a airport hanger owned by a local businessman. He collects vintage airplanes, petro items and vintage flying posters. One of the planes he had on display was from the Jimmie Allen Air Adventures radio show from the 30's. I had never heard of it. Apparently young boys would listen to these 15 minute radio shows, sign up to join at their local Skelly or Richfield station and get all sorts of premiums; flying lessons, model planes. the official club newspapers had a subscription base of 600,000, and the air races were attended by tens of thousands. The scripts were adapted to the big screen in 1936, titled The Sky Parade. Production ceased in about 1937, but continued on in Canada, Australia & New Zealand until 1943. There are a lot of collectibles available on line, some with Skelly & Richfield logos. The other plane is in his "man cave" portion of his hanger, next to the screening room and tavern!

Jimmie Allen 2.jpg Pea Shooter 1.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
D
That is awesome!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Is he still flying the one in the hanger? I bet that one has seen it's share of loops! Can you imagine back in the day, a kid getting flying lessons in that? What a cool promotion idea. Thanks for sharing the pictures and story...

Vernski Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Nicole, all of his planes are kept flying condition form what he said, and there are 3 others in his air fleet. He has a complete set of the Jimmie Allen promotional items to go with his plane.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow, I would love to see that hangar and the planes. As A Skelly collector the plane would have to be the ultimate piece to acquire for your collection! Thanks for posting this. Being a pilot and a Skelly collector I can really appreciate the planes as well as the history behind them......GB

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi-Speed Oil and B/A Oil also sponsored the Program in Canada.

Two books were written based on the Radio Program. And has been noted as well as the "Full length" movie... (I have the books and a DVD of the movie and a CD of the Radio Programs)

Skelly also was a major sponsor of "The Captain Midnight" Radio Program...

I have "Cadet Wings" from a good portion of the different Companies that sponsored the Radio Program... Also, a Jimmie Allen Album from Richfield and Membership cards from Skelly, Richfield and HI-SPEED Oil... A map from Skelly and numerous Jimmie Allen smalls from Skelly and Richfield.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Man, I didn't know you were hoarding all that Skelly stuff Bob! smile....Gary

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gary, if it was a "Give-away"; especially one for kids? Then there is a good chance ; I'm there....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sweet!!!

Braden Splichal

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved