Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#634974 Fri Oct 30 2015 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
When I first started collecting, it didn't take long to figure out that I needed to pick a brand to follow instead of leaping all over the board! I picked Cities Service for a number of reasons and it has truly been a fun and exciting journey with a company I have come to admire a lot.
The sheer size of the company was amazing and the amount of advertising items is staggering and at the same time intriguing! Their use of art deco design was right up there with the best of them.
One aspect of collecting a company is the collection of their gas globes and would seem like an easy task until you realize the scope of your project. Cities Service was involved in the earliest formation of the gas & oil industry in this country and therefore the list of known available gas globes becomes very long! Especially when you are trying to collect the vast majority of them. If you start getting into the affiliates too, the list becomes even longer, as Cities had quite a few known affiliates and several that we suspect, but don't know for sure, until an advertising piece shows up and proclaims the fact! So it is with gas pump globes!
Its quite easy when you first start out because there are always several of the more widely produced examples of their globes floating around for sale. Mid way into the journey, things seem to get a bit tougher, as the more expensive globes start coming available and you realize the cost of the journey that you have chosen! At this point there are 2 roads available too. You can opt for the very best to be found, or take the cast offs from other collectors looking to upgrade, until you can, in turn, update yourself! Either way works perfectly well, just that one road is faster and more expensive.
The last phase of the journey is when you have a lot of the globes that are available, and you start searching for those elusive items seen in pictures and the only known examples are squirreled away in high end collections. You keep hoping to stumble upon one of these great pieces by accident and save yourself the enormous cost of buying one of these great pieces? That day never comes and if by chance it DOES, you must quietly push it aside and count yourself as one lucky SOB, because it just doesn't happen and you need to continue the journey!
The journey slows down dramatically at this point, either because of financial reasons, or because of simple availability! Even when you can afford it, some of these globes are simply NOT going to become available! This is a very tough point in the journey, because it becomes a major road block and threatens to block you at every turn!
THERE IS HOPE! All of us are human and our collections will be passed on at some time in the future. When one of the enormously valuable collections gets placed on the auction block, you must be ready and in a position to purchase the missing pieces in your journey.
Here is where sales of collections with the quality of the Kyle Moore collection comes in. I truly wish it had been held together for all the world to enjoy, but it was not meant to be and we all needed to be ready to purchase those illusive items we needed in order to continue our journeys!
My interest was in 2 globes that Kyle had, that were key pieces in my globe collection. The first was lot 409 and is a small OPE Koolmotor globe that is in a 9+ condition and very very rare! I knew that one would cost me, but not a clue how much? The other was lot 735, a OPE Penna gasoline globe that was a known affiliate to Cities Service. I felt this one might be a bit cheaper because of the unknown factor and might slip thru the radar!
To make a long story shorter-- I sold a big bunch of stuff and gathered all the available cash I could and set out to figure out how to accomplish the feat! I'm very lucky in that I have a lot of true friends within the hobby and was able to call upon one that would be attending the sale and was willing to help me out. This friend did the bidding for me(I was on the phone) paid for my purchases, and got them transferred to someone that would transport them back to the Midwest! I think this person did me a huge favor, and probably saved me at least $1500 in costs associated with attending! I spent a lot on these 2 globes, but had a lot of cash in reserve in case they cost a lot more than my expectations, but I wasn't about to let these key pieces slip thru my fingers!
SUCCESS!
There is a long road ahead though, as this is only the beginning of the difficult globes to obtain! I don't really believe I will live long enough to see all of them sitting in my possession, but its the journey that makes the trip worth it, and with the friends I have accumulated along the way, it won't make any difference if I succeed or not, the journey was worth it!
Here is a picture of the 2 globes from the Kyle Moore collection and another I was fortunate enough to obtain from another Old Gasser that is a friend of mine. When this one piece clover came into his possession, he immediately phoned me and we made the deal!
My sincere thanks to all that have made my collection what it is today, and especially to those involved in this latest transaction! I couldn't do it without the help of my friends! You guys are the greatest!
NOW--on to the next globe!!!! wink

Koolmotor Globes 002.JPG Koolmotor Globes 003.JPG Koolmotor Globes 004.JPG Koolmotor Globes 005.JPG

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
K W FRITH #634976 Fri Oct 30 2015 07:46 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Great story & killer Globes !!!!!!!

Sid

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
trifiver #634980 Fri Oct 30 2015 08:04 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Excellent story Kevin...& congrats on the globes!!!..Good things happen to good people.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
mission accomplished, congratulations Kevin.. ... cool

RANDY
K W FRITH #634986 Fri Oct 30 2015 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those are AWSOME. Nice work my friend, I have a few on my bucket list as well.
Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
K W FRITH #634987 Fri Oct 30 2015 08:53 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Congratulations Kevin!! How about a pic of the whole globe collection?

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
K W FRITH #634988 Fri Oct 30 2015 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
awesome congrats

Follow the Red Indian Trail
K W FRITH #634991 Fri Oct 30 2015 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kevin, i didnt know you also got that cast clover... awesome! that's one at the very top of my list!

congrats on your recent buys!

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
K W FRITH #635005 Fri Oct 30 2015 12:08 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
great story kevin, alot of great people out there!!

Always Available 973-932-2980

Joe - Iron Vise LLC
sales@ironvise.com
K W FRITH #635008 Fri Oct 30 2015 01:15 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Killer globes Kevin. Thanks for sharing!

1 BAD ZR1 #635009 Fri Oct 30 2015 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You sure have one of the best cities service collections , it's neat when the stuff finds it's way to home and to the right guy Kevin ! Congratulations .

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
K W FRITH #635021 Fri Oct 30 2015 04:48 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Great globes Kevin and yes that story hits home with a lot of us. I only wish that over the years I could have remained disciplined and focused enough to maintain one company.

Thanks, Phil
K W FRITH #635028 Fri Oct 30 2015 05:44 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for allowing us a glimpse into how a truly dedicated collector approaches the building of his collection and ultimately the success it can bring. Kudos Kevin on a quest to build the best collection you can!

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
K W FRITH #635041 Fri Oct 30 2015 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Awesome globes!

Braden Splichal

bsplichal95 #635061 Sat Oct 31 2015 04:45 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S