Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#636735 Fri Nov 13 2015 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A friend of mine recently purchased this 30 inch DSP sign and sent me these photos, asking if its the real deal or not? He was told by the owner that it was a curb sign, but I really don't think the owner had a clue, as he simply got it on a trade?
It was always my impression that the red clover and triangle signs were only made in the 42 inch size and were hanging signs? I can't ever remember seeing this colored sign in the 30 inch size?? It also seems that the only curb signs that I have ever come across, were either 24 inch or 32 inch??
With the large amount of reproductions being done as 30 inch signs, I was hesitant to tell him it was real, without some studying! I have this sign in a 42 inch NOS version, and the design is exactly the same. Mine also has no makers mark. I also have another 42 incher with this design on one side and a different design on the other. (Cities Service did that on a few of their signs) This second sign differs some but contains the VERIBRITE markings?
With the design like it is, and the old looking damage, I am inclined to think that this sign is real, but thought I would ask the membership if anyone else has ever seen this sign in this particular size? Either its a fairly rare original, or the repoppers didn't make many, and that doesn't seem likely if it is actually a repop?
Thoughts anyone??

Red City 1.JPG Red City 2.JPG Red City 3.JPG Red City 4.JPG

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I was at a shop a couple weeks ago and they had a 30" repop or fantasy sign there along with a sinclair 30" bar sign.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not a curb sign with holes at the top for hanging is my thought.

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Scott-- I had it explained to me at one time that those holes were actually there for handling during the sign making process. That's why you see 2 holes on most curb and hanging signs that would have gone in a ring. Makes sense as there was really no need for the holes in those particular signs.

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Ron Bettin just posted some information on facebook that identifies this sign as being a reproduction and posted pictures of an identical 30 incher that was on a table at Iowa Gas, along with several other fake signs.
His posting was on "Picks of the Week" and if you're on facebook, you should read his post and view the pictures!
For thos unable to access Facebook--Here is Rons post copied from POTW----

QUOTE:Kevin Frith posted a photo of the rough 30" Cities Service Oils sign pictured herein, on another website, raising question about the sign's authenticity because as a Cities Service collector, he expressed his understanding Citie's curbstand signs were 24 or 32-inch. However, from his posting, he was leaning to believe it to be original because of it's condition, etc.
The sign is a reproduction.
The second photo below showing a new 30-inch reproduction was taken at Iowa Gas in August of this year; it was on a table with many other reproductions (see the two versions in the third photo - on different tables).
These reproduction signs are unauthorized, not licensed, signs; and in my opinion, it's evident the maker and people selling them have intentionally tried to deceive people by stamping some signs with the porcelain makers mark.
The reproduction Mobiloil flange and the repro Buick flange are both stamped with "Veribrite Signs - Chicago" (see the 4th photo). The much larger than normal print size is an easy way to tell the reproduction.
I've yet to see a vendor selling these at a swap meet have a sign posted telling people these signs are reproduction.
This vendor and others that promote the activity of selling unlicensed merchandise, should be barred from the swap meets and shows of original petroliana and automobilia, but it takes attendees complaining to the show hosts to make this happen.
Furthermore, Ebay is full of these repo's being sold as originals or sellers leading the buyer to believe they are old originals by beating and chipping up the new signs, and spinning a commensurate story.
The novice collector's cost of education is much higher today than 20 years ago when little of this repo junk existed.
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly Magazine (PCM) is doing periodic articles on reproduction signs and globes. If you don't already subscribe to this monthly magazine, you should, but calling Scott Benjamin at 440-355-6608.

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i didnt see this post until now... but I can guarantee you that the sign posted above is fake. first started showing up on ebay by RustyRelics.

i have seen multiple of the 30" Cities Service fakes. both with the red clover and traditional black clover. the porcelain is overly shiny on them, the shelving is lacking, and the wording of 'Once Always' on the bottom of the signs is usually kind of funky.

if anyone has any questions on one, please feel free to message me. I just watched someone get burned on one in the Mecum auction 2 weeks ago.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Bryce-- Thanks for posting that!
I was having trouble convincing the buyer that it was a phony sign, even though I told him I had never seen one until this one showed up. I think he was trying to convince himself that it was real, and everyone else was wrong! If you notice on the first picture, the red outline has faded some just below the once-always banner, while the rest of the red ring has not faded. I would imagine this indicates inferior materials being used?
Its really too bad what these reproductions are doing to the hobby, because it has really created some crooks that modify these signs to look old, and then pass them off for old and original!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By K W FRITH
Its really too bad what these reproductions are doing to the hobby, because it has really created some crooks that modify these signs to look old, and then pass them off for old and original!

But on a good note we are here to help the ones that ask the questions about the signs. One at a time is at least a good start in educating the next generation so that they know better down the road! Gotta start somewhere and I think it's easier to educate buyers than to try and stop the crooks.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Mike M.
I think it's easier to educate buyers than to try and stop the crooks.

agree wholeheartedly.. ... cool

RANDY

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved