Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#637581 - Wed Nov 18 2015 10:30 PM How to Clean Old Wax Off A Sign
agator Offline

Loc: KC, MO.
So in the late 70's before I could drive I bought a 6 foot long Goodyear sign from an auction. The sign was from a roadside museum and in great shape with bold graphics. I wanted to keep it looking good. At the time I was told to wax it with automotive type wax which I did and it looked really good.
The problem is now all these years later the white portion of the sign looks yellowish which I assume is from the wax I had put on it.
So, what is the best way to restore this sign to it's best possible condition without damaging the finish?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#637582 - Wed Nov 18 2015 10:34 PM Re: How to Clean Old Wax Off A Sign [Re: agator]
advertologist Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: So. Ca.
is the sign porcelain or tin?..

if porcelain lacquer thinner will strip the wax off.. ... cool

Edited by advertologist (Wed Nov 18 2015 10:37 PM)

#637593 - Thu Nov 19 2015 12:37 AM Re: How to Clean Old Wax Off A Sign [Re: agator]
Paul Bell Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Northern CA
Like mentioned, if it's porcelain, lacquer thinner, acetone, lots of stuff would work and not damage the porcelain.

If it's painted, more care needed. I would use "wax and grease remover" from an auto body or auto paint store. It rarely affects paint itself but I'd try a spot first on the side to make sure.

#637601 - Thu Nov 19 2015 06:12 AM Re: How to Clean Old Wax Off A Sign [Re: agator]
THERMOMAN Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: smyrna, de USA
I like using razor blades to do the heavy lifting and bring in the thinner and bar keepers for the final touches

#637641 - Thu Nov 19 2015 11:37 AM Re: How to Clean Old Wax Off A Sign [Re: agator]
BryceG Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Peoria, IL
wax? how about a heat gun?

See some of my collection & Items for sale...
www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved