Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#637707 Thu Nov 19 2015 11:09 PM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
A recent post gathered many opinions about people asking value questions.

Let me explain my situation. There is hardly a day goes by that someone doesn't send me an email requesting me to put a value on a gas pump or air meter that they have found. First of all I don't buy gas pumps, I just write books about gas pumps. As for air meter, yes if I can I buy any air meter that I feel I can make money on it, I try and buy it. But most of the meters I buy come from Ebay.

Gas pumps: They usually send me one picture, one one that really p..... me off the message was "What is it worth." That is all, just that. No answer, just hit the delete button.

A few send me three or four pictures, no offer to sell it to me, just what can they sell it for.

I am in a position that I don't want to make anybody mad because I will shortly have a new Gas Pump ID (with values) book coming out, so what should I do?

If you received a request like this every week, would you reply?

My polite answer is usually, I cannot put a value an anything I cannot touch.

Any opinions?

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Thu Nov 19 2015 11:12 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
An important part of being in business is public relations. I'd answer the questions to the best of my ability hoping to turn some of those people into paying customers.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Jack, I get the same questions at least twice a week, usually by phone. I use the same answer that, "I can not touch it then it's not possible to be of help." Some folks understand but others push the envelope for opinions. To these people, I ask what business they are in. Once you establish that they are a farmer, car salesman etc. then I point out that in the same situation relating to their field of endeavor, could they answer the same question, posed the same way? Most understand and thank me for my time. The rest who persist, I refer to Ebay to look for a like item to compare. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am in the same boat. I try to reply though. I give my best opinion and if it is something I like or want I will ask if it is for sale. Most the time it is questions about Mobil stuff which I like to talk about anyways.
My advice is try and play nice!! But there is some out there that just want to use you

Dan

Last edited by mcguffeyd1; Fri Nov 20 2015 07:28 AM.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Jack, I've found that whenever I provide an over-the-phone appraisal, I will never get a chance to own that item. So what I do, as part of my business, is offer to give a written "Marketable Cash Value" appraisal and charge a minimal fee of $25. That way I at least get to see the item and my time is not totally given away to those that are just out there to steal from my wealth of knowledge for free.

I think we all cringe a little when someone asks "what's my xxx worth?", as they all want to hear it's worth millions, and very few believe us when we tell them the true value range.

Hopefully someone here will have a better answer than what I've been using, as we could all benefit from that.

Gary from Vintage Gold
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
While I know virtually nothing about petro values, I get a number of requests about the values of Model A Ford Victorias. I usually try to give a range based on my understanding of the current market, tailored by what they tell me and send me about the car in question.

Jack, I doubt that most who contact you with "three or four pictures, no offer to sell it to me" even think that you might be interested in buying the item.

I also think that those who contact you for a value quote are not going to be buying a gas pump book. They simply want to use your knowledge to see "just what can they sell it for". Your reticence to jump at these requests isn't going to make anybody mad IMHO.

Your answer "I cannot put a value an anything I cannot touch", is very valid. I don't think your approach should change.

Vernski #637801 Fri Nov 20 2015 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My buddy told me he thinks the 3 smartest words in the dictionary are:
"I don't know" I tend to agree when trying to give values. Especially on the seldom seen items with no sales record.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
im glad you are not giving values Jack... that is what the book is for.

If you did give values more readily, then you would probably have to field even more calls & emails.

If I had a dollar for every time someone said to me, "Well I called Scott and he says the globe is worth this much?" or "I called Dan and he says the sign is right and worth this much"... I can only imagine how many inquiries both of them get.

But at the same time, if you choose to publish and sell value guides and make this hobby your living, then I suppose you better be ready for some of this to ensue.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #637856 Fri Nov 20 2015 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By BryceG
...... if you choose to publish and sell value guides and make this hobby your living, then I suppose you better be ready for some of this to ensue.

Yep.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
"If I had a dollar for every time someone said to me, "Well I called Scott and he says the globe is worth this much?" or "I called Dan and he says the sign is right and worth this much"... I can only imagine how many inquiries both of them get."

I can say this about Scott...even though he is EXTREMELY busy and I'm sure hounded daily about globes, value/real or repop/ can you find me....etc. he has always and I mean always answered my phone call or responded to my email...with kindness and a honest answer, and I know I am way low on the totem pole of globe collectors. He never asked me to buy his CD although I did and will buy the new one as well, but it sure is nice to have the go to expert willing to help if needed. A lot of you "experienced" collectors have risen to the top of your field of choice whether it be pumps, air meters, globes, or a certain brand of petrol...and you've done it publicly for all to see and appreciate. You should expect and kind of appreciate that a lot of people are going to reach out to you for help and knowledge...unfortunately your going to get the flippers and unappreciative ones in there as well.

Last edited by 63shelby; Fri Nov 20 2015 10:50 PM.

Pete
Jack, i would like to say i understand your frustration, but i am not the one receiving emails constantly asking for an opinion. Until a person is in that situation, it is hard for them to understand( even though they may think so). I believe in putting a value on ones time!!!! Don't get me wrong, i like to help people out. I would feel better about asking someone at a show, but otherwise the rest is your time! As far as your upcoming book, i think those that are asking you are probably not going to spend the money for the book anyway. So for those people that you don't personally know, i don't think you should feel any guilt in hitting the delete button. Looking forward to your upcoming book and take care!!

Showcase Feature Host
Showcase Feature Host
[quote=63shelby]"I can say this about Scott...even though he is EXTREMELY busy and I'm sure hounded daily about globes, value/real or repop/ can you find me....etc. he has always and I mean always answered my phone call or responded to my email...with kindness and a honest answer, and I know I am way low on the totem pole of globe collectors. He never asked me to buy his CD although I did and will buy the new one as well, but it sure is nice to have the go to expert willing to help if needed. A lot of you "experienced" collectors have risen to the top of your field of choice whether it be pumps, air meters, globes, or a certain brand of petrol...and you've done it publicly for all to see and appreciate. You should expect and kind of appreciate that a lot of people are going to reach out to you for help and knowledge...unfortunately your going to get the flippers and unappreciative ones in there as well. [/quote

Scott has set the bar quite high!A true class Act!

Last edited by Big Block Cat; Sat Nov 21 2015 07:03 AM.

Wanted anything Flying A Gas, Signal Gas, Hancock oil co, and Sunland.

Thanks Anthony
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Appears to me that it goes with the territory ! I get questions off and on about pump & petro item values.
If it appears I have no chance to purchase the item I sometimes say I don't know. Sometimes I give my opinion if I do know. You never know when it might turn into a referral to another item or items you might have a chance to purchase.
Being in the antique business for 40 plus years we all expierience tire kickers , obnoxious people. Just got to grin & bear it .

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
The answer I always wanted to use but never had the nerve is "Put it on Ebay for $9.99, the world will tell you what it is worth."

Bryce: When the publisher agreed to publish my first book they said it had to have values or they would not print it. I didn't want to do it, but I had to. As for making a living on this hobby, for the amount of time I have devoted to putting the three books together, I could have made more money being a greeter at Walmart. And at the age of 80, that is about the only job I could get.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Umm, I think when you hit 80, you can do whatever the hay barrel you want!

If you are getting these requests once a day, that's adds up to a lot of time that perhaps you have other things to do with.

I think if you could put together a 'form' reply that you can just cut and paste, telling people how to research values on e-bay, or on the OLDGAS forums, that's ok.

I also think telling people to buy the book, is ok.

You put how many years into your book? Why would people think they can get free advice, when you are trying to sell a book that has what they are looking for. Giving them these three options, and you are teaching them how to find values that will actually make them better at purchasing items for themselves or for resale.

What's the proverb?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...
Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Last edited by Nicole; Sun Nov 22 2015 03:28 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved