Next Thread
Print Thread
#637787 Fri Nov 20 2015 12:33 PM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
I've been unable to search for this in Old Gas "history" because of needing too many key words, and that turns up way too many past postings.

My question: I believe Scott B. has previously talked about being able to safely ship a complete plastic-bodied globe, without taking the lenses out. Of course, we wouldn't do this with a glass-bodied globe....but I believe it's supposed to be possible with a plastic body globe. I'd appreciate any tips, based on experience, that members might have for safely shipping one fully assembled. Thanks very much for any help. John

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
- pack the inside of the globe with newspaper
- wrap outside of globe with 4" thick of bubble wrap on every side
- put in box surrounded by packing peanuts (18x18x18)
- put that box in larger box surrounded by packing peanuts (22x22x22)

all done!

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
I usually disassemble them, but if I was going to ship one intact I would do the following.

Fill the globe with packing peanuts, to the point that they are quite tight in there, tape the bottom closed so the peanuts stay inside.

Wrap the globe in many layers of bubble wrap, not the wimpy bubble wrap, the big bubble wrap.

Put the globe in a good sized cardboard box filled with packing peanuts. Pack the peanuts tight, you should be able to almost stand on the box (dont!!).

Put the box in another box, once again, pack really tight..

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
didn't these globes come from the manufacture assembled in the box? pat. # on box early 30's.. ... cool

IMG_1871[1].JPG IMG_1872[1].JPG IMG_1873[1].JPG

RANDY
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Personally I think packages were handled a bit better back in the day Randy....like everything else that has become automated you have conveyors that are 15 feet off the ground moving packages around, items sorted by computers/scanners, people that hate their jobs....taking care is not a priority these days. I receive boxes weekly that look like they were drop kicked most of the way to me!
Darin

On a side note John, is there a reason you can't disassemble this globe?

Last edited by DWSheffer; Fri Nov 20 2015 03:26 PM.

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
What Bryce said, except I would say final box 24 x 24 x 24.

Kevin Firth shipped me a glass bodied globe couple years back like this. I remember thinking, this could withstand anything short of a truck running it over.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with all the above but I will add...Do not ship USPS or UPS!!!
I always use Fed-X Insured and have shipped them assembled (just shipped a Gill Body complete) and apart with no issues.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Steve C.
What Bryce said, except I would say final box 24 x 24 x 24.

Steve is right with the 24" box for glass bodied globes and 15" metal bodied globes.

For 13.5" Capco globes, I have found 22" to be sufficient.

Stick to the golden rule too: If you wouldnt be comfortable pushing it down a flight of stairs, you didnt package it well enough! smile

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would recommend wrapping the plastic bodied globe in plastic wrap film. Easy enough to do. Lots of times the lenses can move within the plastic body. This will help vibrational type failures and shocks between the body and the glass. I do packaging testing for my work, somewhat familiar with the different shipping failures.

As I've mentioned before somewhere I'm becoming a fan of buying sheet foam from HD, it's cheap, and I like to use it cut down between the outer and inner box. Bubble wrap, peanuts, paper in the inner box. I think the sheet foam is superior for the outer box as it'll help distribute loads better and can absorb punctures better too I think.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Fri Nov 20 2015 04:09 PM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Great information, Guys. This info is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you all for taking the time to help. More proof that there are a lot of super folks here on Old Gas!

Darin, to answer your side note question: I would like to ship this plastic-bodied globe assembled because it is going to a person who isn't all that handy. Plus, he has never put a CAPCO-bodied globe together before. We all know it isn't that hard....but I can just imagine one of the lenses getting away from this guy, as he tried to line everything up.

Again, thank you, friends. John

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I understand John.....like you say not hard, but I think many of us would admit those first couple times putting a Capco together, especially with original lenses involved, can be a bit tricky. (it can be even trickier with a some of the repro bodies)
I now have my own system of reassembling them on my bed, with a towel inside, just in case anything falls out of place it's soft all around!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I do as Paul mentioned. Wrap the assembled globe with stretch wrap so the lenses can't vibrate.
Also pack the inside with crumpled newspaper. Wrap with bubble wrap. Box it up with at least 2" of styro peanuts on all sides, top and bottom. Then double box with at least 2" of styro peanuts on each side, top and bottom. I'll add extra pieces of cardboard or styrofoam inside the sides of the box.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved