Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#637942 Sat Nov 21 2015 05:44 PM
OP Offline
I am working on a couple of Tokhiem 39 short pumps that I will be displaying outdoors on a pump island in front of my shop.
Both of these pumps were very rough when I got them but I have had all the tins chemically stripped, there is no real rust but a few dents and some extra holes. I have started to weld the holes and pounded out most of the dents. I am trial fitting the pumps together before final body work and paint. The doors are installed and the latch mechanism works fine holding the bottom of the doors I place but the top of the door does not seem to pull tight to the body of the pump. Am I missing something?
These will not be perfect restorations because they will be used outside but I want them to look presentable. One will be Enco Regular and the other will be Enco Extra.
Thanks!
Jim

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
After you read the top of the webpage below, you will see there are a few versions of the 39. You need to tell us which 39 you have before we can help you.

http://petrolianacollectibles.com/tokheim%2039a.htm

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Jim the top of the doors should be sliding into the top stainless steel strip on the top of the pump. This strip holds the top of the door in place. Richard

OP Offline
Thank you for the reply. I have attached a picture of one of the pumps.
Hopefully it will be able to be seen, I am having difficulty attaching jpeg files to my posts.
The pumps have swing open doors, no add glass and what seams like door Windows that were held in with rubber moldings.
Regards,
Jim

image.jpeg
OP Offline
Hello Richard,
The doors are mounted on hinges. Am I to lift the door up under the SS trim then latch the bottom in place? Or is the lower latch arm supposed to raise the door when the inside lever is turned?
Thanks!
Jim

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
The doors swing on hinges when door down and lift up into stainless trim on the top. I like to put some electrical tape along the very top edge of the door to help keep the paint from getting trashed.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Jim the lower arm will raise the door into place. You may have to guide it into position while raising it. Richard

OP Offline
Thank You to all that replied! I know understand the process. The restoration will now continue on the two pumps.
I have attached a picture of where the pumps will be installed. ( once the snow melts!)
Jim

image.jpeg

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved