Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I recently purchased this 1930s Beacon Penn Motor Oil sign (see photo). It is a beautiful "old" sign (30 inches by 30 inches) and I am trying to decide the best way to display it. I know how to clean the porcelain part but am seeking advice concerning "what to do" about the rusting and pitting from age. My options seem to be 1) do nothing and hang it as it is or 2) brush as much of the rust off (wire brush) and then hang.

Can I.....remove all the rust as best I can....use "bondo"...sand and then paint with enamel paint?

I really need to hear from some of you that have dealt with one in this condition. I am open to ideas.

Thanks for any advice and help!

image.jpeg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Such a sign is only "original" once...That being said, it is your sign and do as you wish..

If it were mine; I would carefully wire brush the rust working to not remove any more of the porcelain, than possible.... Trying to clean up as much as the loose rust as possible...

I then would use a technique of using alum foil to neutralize some if not most of the rust.

I then would display the sign in an area that is fairly temperate; as in the House or a well insulated garage/shop building.... Someplace where one usually doesn't have to worry about extreme highs or lows, also a location without a great deal of humidity.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Bob...how would you use the aluminum foil?
Thanks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a technique of wetting the rust and rubbing the alum foil over the rust... Then using items such as soft toothbrushes, dental tools, handsoap/dishsoap, more and smaller pieces of alum foil... Over and over until most if not all the rust is neutralized.... It is a technique that I have used for 5+ decades.

It is a technique that is not the easiest to master; so before one tried it on one of their items? I suggest they practice, practice and practice over and over..... Multiple times on old cheap large 5 gal square cans... When you can neutralize rust and not remove graphics on the cans... Then start practicing on smaller and smaller cans... Always working to neutralize rust without removing graphics.. (much harder than it sounds, but oh so worthwhile when you are able to either save and/or make a very marginal can into something you can display)...

Of course the more you practice; the less time and energy it takes to make an item more presentable... The technique, is not fool proof and it will not bring any item back to NOS.... But, I've have had some great success with the technique and I know that others have also had some very striking success in the last 10 years or so since I first shared what I do and how I do it here on Oldgas....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved