Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E

Had to share this for the Mobil fans. Price is right at the moment. I imagine it's a one off that a individual jobber did to display items. Looks killer I love it. Just wondering if anyone has seen another of these?

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
cabinet of subject:.. ... cool

gargcab.jpg

RANDY
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I have seen a variation of his that had the upper half a display cabinet. Looking at it I think it is right. Nice find

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
It is interesting how many variation's in this cabinet are starting to show up.This version is quite unique .Hope to get mine done this summer.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Damn- I didnt see this till now. Its a half hour drive from me. Very cool looking item. I could have went to check it out. Thanks for pointing this out , Eric.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Somebody was pretty handy back in the day!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
I'm really torn on whether or not this was authentic from the company or just done by a station owner back in the day? I'd like to know if anyone has seen images with anything like this in use. Might make me feel better about not winning it..lol. Either way it was very well done and super cool! I wanted it..but was off by a lil bit

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
When I think on the signs on the OP's cabinet, it hard to think this is home made. Where would he have gotten the signs?
The other thing is the roof structure looks different. The overhangs are much bigger or something.
Here's an example of the normal cabinet. The roof just looks quit different.

Red Top mural (3).jpg
Last edited by Steve C.; Fri Nov 27 2015 04:40 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I personally have never seen one in use in a period photo. With that being said though, the cabinet in question certainly is very well made. My personal thoughts are too well made not to be done at a factory, but there always have been some very professional "amateurs" when it comes to metal fabricating over the years.

We all know the cabinet is from the 1920's as it has the Vacuum Oil Co. stamping like the standard cabinets. My thoughts are that someone "updated" it in the late 1930's to get more use out of it. If you are a Mobil collector, you know that the black, red, and white color scheme for cans and other products was introduced in the very late 30's. Note the colors of the cabinet in question (red, blk, wht), as well as the serif font used on the hand painted signage which matches those used in the late 30's through WW2. I can just picture this cabinet on an island filled with these items, it would have looked really nice!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Darin, I agree it would have looked extremely cool filled with items. I already had an image in my head where it was going in the garage..lol. Just a little off..congrats to the new owner. Anyone here win it?

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Steve I think your right . If I remember correctly my top only overhangs approx. 2" past the cabinet. The one pictured appears to overhang 3" or more visually.
I can't measure mine right now as it is down in storage . Out of curiosity I will measure it tomorrow when I go to town.
Irregardless it is a very nice cabinet that anyone would be proud to own.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I had a bid at $1500 but two people were fighting higher than that. I have three of these and may just try fabricating a display similar to this. Looks really nice.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I do not own one of either variation, but when I first saw the display cabinet it looked original and authentic to me (and very cool too). I think it's a great piece and was bought very well by the lucky owner!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved