Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#638578 Fri Nov 27 2015 05:57 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I would like to put it out there that I, along with a group of people that are long time ( meaning over 20- 30 years) Red Indian collectors , are willing to help authenticate real red indian items. That way no one needs to be concerned about buying fake Red India items . We have vast picture evidence and original signs . That way you never need to worry about being ripped off and everyone can continue to enjoy the hobby that we all love. Just trying to help , because old gas is a great group of people preserving the real items for the generations to come . Always glad to help, have a great day .

Follow the Red Indian Trail
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is great !! I hate seeing people get ripped off.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good to know, and thanks for your help.

Have gas all the time
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great service you will be providing Dave !

Imperial Oil collector..
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great idea and thanks ahead of time.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave-- Great concept! Thank you for providing such a valuable service!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave,
was a 24" ever produced?, 24" red indian.. ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Randy , Yes they did there is about 8 real ones known . the last one that I have heard of being for sale the guy was offered 10,000 and would not sell it . PM me and I can tell you why the one on e bay is not right . The 24'' is one of the rarest Red Indian signs . I have only owned one .

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Just last week I stepped out of my area of gas pumps and bid on some oil bottles at an auction. Guess what all three bottles are reproductions. After 25 years in this hobby, I bought repros.

I know it can happen to anyone when you step out of the field you know best, but how we as a group have a place to go to, to seek out info on an item we know little about?

Basically, Jim has started something here, but it will take much more support (I mean dollars) for him to create what we would all like to help us determine repros, etc.

Your are at a auction, you see something that you might be able to make a few bucks on. You use your tablet/cell to go to OG, you punch in what you want to know, it tells you it is real/repro.

Without Jim's support this will never happen.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for bringing that up Jack you are 100 % right . Like all great things in life its volunteers and donated dollars that drive it . How can we help guys ? Thanks again Jim , Jack , Ryan , Kevin and the other guys I Don't know for your great contributions and having this site .

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Dave...it's great you're willing to provide such a valuable service to others...good for you!

In regards to Jim needing more money and expanding the site to deal with repop education ... Some of the veterans on here have always preached its your personal responsibility and it's too easy and irresponsible for newbies to Google Oldgas and get answers. Not sure on why the change of thinking.

I think Dave's approach is the answer ... If you have extensive knowledge in an area and are willing to give your time to answer questions then great. Donating time and resources is better than putting the responsibility on Jim.

Btw, I don't know everything but if anyone needs help with Marathon items you can always pm me.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hey Duane , Good points . Maybe we set up so that we all kind of know who the go to guy is on each item . We all know Scott on globes and go from there . Kevin , Cities service . Junior 25 Canadian pumps , Minute Man any Cans, signs ,gas globes etc , Jack air meters and pumps , Ron Gordon on high end signs, etc etc .There is such an amazing depth on here of hard core early collectors . This knowledge needs to be passed on to the true , passionate collectors . Old gas is the best I believe at doing this . I got 3 messages on it yesterday , very glad to help .Takes my mind away from the stress of work for 10 mins to lol.

Last edited by redindianguy; Tue Dec 01 2015 06:32 AM.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I truly believe your onto a great concept here Dave. This site is a huge wealth of information and this information is free to access for those wanting to put in the time to access it, and for this we have to give a big thanks to Jim. Unfortunately the reproductions have started to make a serious change within our hobby. Fast turn around times of repro signage from internet pictures is shocking. I believe that we as collectors could stand strong in helping each other out. We each have our speciality for which we have spent numerous hours researching and collecting information for authentication and documentation for a specific brand or company. Anybody notice that you are starting to second guess your own knowledge that you have established through your years of experience???? I know I have lately with all the reproductions flooding our hobby and it would be great to contact a fellow collector with experience in the specific item. These repro guys unfortunately are getting real good and likely will only get better.

Daryl
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Daryl, You nailed it...Agree !!

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
My hats off to Dave for considering to put together the valuable information relating to RED INDIAN memorobilia.

Duane (Ohio Oil) mentions:
" Some of the veterans on here have always preached its your personal responsibility and it's too easy and irresponsible for newbies to Google Oldgas and get answers".

My take is as follows:

I find searching info on repro signs (from previous threads) on OG an easy step. However, the Information not continuous ... It is scattered among several threads & it is hard to follow or concentrate, IMO!

Here is what I found for "SHELL" repro signs on OG:

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=634371
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=29500
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=334614&page=all
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=454830&page=all

Missing photos on older thread:

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=158896&page=all

BTW, I find the drawing from DB a very valuable piece!

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=418204

I sure would like to see ONE document the has all info in one place & covers all types of SHELL signs:
Pump plate, AIR, Flange, etc.

I look forward to seeing your docmennt, Dave!

Hen

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hey Hen , great stuff . So far I have gone the PM route with my e mail if anyone wants to send pics . Keeping up so far about 20 messages , That way we keep it off the general internet so the india guys don't figure out how to make their ***** better . The biggest thing I will say is in all the repros I have seen . The porcelain is not deep , the metal is thick recycled ***** but heavy . They cannot get the quality porcelain job that the old ovens could .

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Hello Dave,

Glad you are gathering pictures via e-mail/PM. I wish I had any pictures to share with you! frown

Also, glad you have had the chance to touch/feel the REPOs from that_place & share the info about the quality of metal/porcelain with us.

IMO, based on what I see from any signs from that_place(all the ones on eBay), none of the ART WORK impress me at all!

That said, IMO, NOT an easy task to clean up any ART WORK starting with a JPEG file.

Hen

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved