Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#642957 Thu Jan 07 2016 08:52 AM
BryceG Online Content OP
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
signs are incorrect, but look good to the unknowing, & descriptions are vague.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&am...gn&_sacat=0

signs1.jpg signs2.jpg

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The Sunset and Union signs were originally listed as repros. Seller ended the auctions and relisted without saying they were fakes. !#$%! Seller, selling !#%^! signs.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thank you for posting Bryce! Bold seller to list reproductions and his phone number. If anyone has questions or comments it is 513-543-6656. smirk

Aaron

Looking for National Old Trails Road Signs NOTR and Arizona State/US Route and Road Signs.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I asked if original or reproductions and he at least stated they are "powder coated older reproductions"

Got Socony???

Tom
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
If anyone has any problems call me my number is posted I'm not trying to screw anyone. I had a few signs made for myself sometime ago. Now I'm selling them due to having a lot of original stuff. No way am I trying market these signs and get original prices. You people should know what this stuff sells for in original condition. Go buy a sunset or minute man for 300 or 400. Good luck I posted my number so if people had questions they could call me I'm not like most who are running and hiding and trying to screw people who don't know better. I've been in this hobby a long time and know most of you. So just wanted to let everyone know the truth.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SO why not list them as reproductions then?

Got Socony???

Tom
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Anybody that knows about signs can look at them and tell that there reproductions and if anyone asks they will get a honest answer. If you don't like them don't bid if you like the look and want something to look at for a very small fraction of cost go for it.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Where might one find 30" Minute Man "pre" rust and chipped? I cannot disagree with your logic, but I would like a Minute Man 30" like new at a fraction of the cost. Is there a website or did you pick these up at a show?

Thanks

Aaron

Looking for National Old Trails Road Signs NOTR and Arizona State/US Route and Road Signs.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Great

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By nochevys
SO why not list them as reproductions then?

He originally listed a couple of them as repros.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Union-76-Minute-Man-30-Enamel-Sign-/181977991652?hash=item2a5ebbc9e4%3Ag%3APmMAAOSwL7VWhhOz&nma=true&si=KQF21KDbnFoXG2drqOLcLuge%252BnQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
He ended those auctions and relisted them, but must have forgotten to say they were fake in the 2nd listing. But he did use the "heavy,thick,enamel" in the description just like the fine folks from South American and India use. wink
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Two-sided-Union-76-Minute-Man-sign-/181978454236?hash=item2a5ec2d8dc%3Ag%3AafIAAOSwL7VWhrfV&nma=true&si=KQF21KDbnFoXG2drqOLcLuge%252BnQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Unless the seller can supply a valid reason for not listing the signs as reproductions then it looks to me like the only reason is to get more $$$$.

Not necessarily original sign money, but more money none the less.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Rjhart123
Anybody that knows about signs can look at them and tell that there reproductions and if anyone asks they will get a honest answer.

Trouble is, your ad looks like its designed to fool the uneducated buyer that does not know his signs! Sure, those of us that have been around for some time, will know the difference, but some poor schmuck looking for his first signs, would never know!
Theres a lot to be said about truth in advertising!
It tends to reflect on the advertiser!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Anybody that knows about signs can look at them and tell that there reproductions and if anyone asks they will get a honest answer.

I'm not like most who are running and hiding and trying to screw people who don't know better.

No way am I trying market these signs and get original prices.

So let me get this right. If someone doesn't know signs then it is fair game not to state it is a repop? You're justification is that you don't expect to get a lot of money? And a potential bidder knows this how?

If it is true that the Sunset and Minute Man were originally shown as repop and then altered to delete that wording, that is prima facia evidence of intent to deceive.

B
B
I am fairly new to collecting I thought the Sinclair looked like it was real plus I didn't know they were repoping that type of sign the sunset and minute man i figured were fakes I'm grateful for oldgas and you guys on it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would suggest that the seller notify the bidders they are fake signs and change the listing to reflect that. A persons good reputation in this hobby is worth a lot. I for one would not knowingly try to sell a fake item without letting people know up front to make sure there is no confusion. People have a good memory..

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Wes Maxwell
I would suggest that the seller notify the bidders they are fake signs and change the listing to reflect that. A persons good reputation in this hobby is worth a lot. I for one would not knowingly try to sell a fake item without letting people know up front to make sure there is no confusion. People have a good memory..
Bingo !!!

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Honesty , that is what this is all about ! You either are or you are not . It's all in the upbringing .
It is Sad .
Pretty easy to attempt to justify your own intentions but it's awful difficult to convince others that you did not mean to deceive buyers.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By Wes Maxwell

IMO...I think once the hammer and hydrochloric acid hit the 30" signs this was/is not going to happen. Also no picture of the back. That is a telltale indicator of misinformation in my experience (intentional or not).

I still want to know where you find these reproductions on line or in a catalog. It would be nice to see what is being produced before hitting the secondary markets (or getting hit with the hammers).

Aaron

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like someone is just hoping for the sucker that doesn't call and bids high thinking its original.
It is a misleading description by someone that knows exactly what they are selling.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Anybody that knows about signs can look at them and tell that there reproductions and if anyone asks they will get a honest answer. If you don't like them don't bid if you like the look and want something to look at for a very small fraction of cost go for it.

Are these your signs that are in question? This same seller I guess by the feedback got to a buyer by misrepresentation by the bad feedback he gave.

Item number eBay 181802342805

Last edited by texacokie; Fri Jan 08 2016 12:10 PM.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
:o .............

Wonderful stuff that's why I'm here there is always someone trying to rip others and without information why would you bother.

Its gets to the point of thinking another hobby might be a better idea rather than trying to sort the real from the fake, I'll persevere but are very cautious ..........

Cheers bigears :)

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By bigears
shocked .............

Wonderful stuff that's why I'm here there is always someone trying to rip others and without information why would you bother.

Its gets to the point of thinking another hobby might be a better idea rather than trying to sort the real from the fake, I'll persevere but are very cautious ..........

Cheers bigears smile

Andy, Just keep asking questions here and together we can help each other smile

Last edited by Keystone Gas Man; Sat Jan 16 2016 11:46 AM.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
How can you sell this junk and not expect to get blow back??

Can't stand the argument that cheap repros have value for collectors who "can't afford the real thing."

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved