Next Thread
Print Thread
#644435 Thu Jan 21 2016 04:12 AM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Have a shell globe that the bottom was repaired some years ago and needs to be re repaired. Any updated material for this and suggestions ? Also lettering needs repainting, any special paint also ?

Craig
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Hi Craig. I have seen people do some great jobs with epoxy and other materials. I had a friend that made a mold of the base on one side and created the missing pieces from the other side. I wish I had an exact answer but I don't. Mask and spray the letters with a fast drying red enamel paint. Good luck with it...Scott B.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Craig
For my globe I used Testors 1204 gloss dark red spray enamel but first I used a white primer that I can figure out when I get home from work! This color looked spot on to me! Jim

West Coast signs, globes and quarts
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Craig--I have filled in the broken areas on several globes over the years by making a mold with bondo on a good area of the globe, and using it as a mold for the damaged area. I use a fast drying epoxy that is available at any hardware store. It advertises as drying clear, but always seems to have a yellow color to it when dried. The stuff hardens in about 5 minutes, and can be smoothed with a file or sanded to get a super smooth finish.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If your making a mold, I've had good luck with smooth-ons silicone and urethane materials. Highly flexible stuff and amazing detail capture," moldstar" would probably work, lots of different ones they carry would work. They have glass like urethanes you can use as your casting material, add just a little white dye to get it to look like milk glass. Stuff is pricey though but I don't think you need much.

I've never tried this to repair a globe, but I could see it working.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Thu Jan 21 2016 01:01 PM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved