Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#64518 Tue Jan 17 2006 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I want to add to this topic. People going to a show and pre-selling an item is not an issue here. Getting on this website and telling people your going and will be selling stuff outside is wrong. These guys along with many other promoters of a show spend lots of money and time and should get paid for what they do.
I feel having guys pay $25 for there wife is not a good thing and should stop. I belive more guys would come if this didn't happen. I only see a few people with there wifes there so the money shouldn't be an issue. Why don't you the promoters look outside at a gas show from time to time and make sure someone isn't out there with a trailer with 8 or 9 globes and signs selling?
Last thing... we got this out in the air and know everyones thoughts so lets stop fighting because if we don't it might take till Dec to reach 3000. LOL

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#64519 Tue Jan 17 2006 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
you might have something there JJ...maybe i should reconsider the date I chose...LOL

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#64520 Tue Jan 17 2006 06:34 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
HUBBA:

TAKE THE JUMP BROTHER, HOW MANY WOMEN CAN YOU LIST THAT ENJOY THIS HOBBY ALONG SIDE THEIR HUSBANDS ? TO MR JARVIS MY WIFE MARY ANN THANKS YOU. WE HAVN'T BEEN TO A SHOW WHERE THEY WANTED TO CHARGE HER FOR ENTERING, BUT I'LL DRIVE 500 MILES TO TELL A GUY TO GET SCREWED IF HE DOES. I WON'T GO IN.

BLACKTEE

#64521 Tue Jan 17 2006 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ok...I'll Jump. This is my opinion: I think its wrong to set up outside a show and sell stuff without paying..it would be like me going to a tattoo convention and tattooing out of a van in the parkinglot...I WOULD NEVER DO IT. That being said I also think that if you do pay for a space that should include a spouse or "helper" in the price...i think that is more than fair..I have a bad back and need help from time to time and even though Dawn supports my obsession, i dont think its right to pay extra for Her if I purchase a booth.

I dont think its right for anyone to be rude, prejudge without all the facts, steal, slander, cheat, decieve..etc.

I like to think I am fair and treat others as I want to be treated, and I like to be treated with respect and dignity. I treat people well until I have been crossed and then I just wont deal with them but I also dont publicly announce who has slighted me..I am quiet and either work it out with them personally or never have dealings with them again.

I am a proud American and am proud to be a straight shooter.

Some of the threads that have been posted lately disappoint me. As this site grows I expect there to be more opinions and more differances of opinions but this site is intended for FUN AND EDUCATION as well as comradery. NOT CONFRONTATION and UNSOLISITATED ONE SIDED OPINIONS.

I lOVE being a member of this site and am honored to have been chosen to be a moderator even with all the challanges it presents. I hope soon we can just get back to learning and just plain having fun.

Well...hows that for jumping in?...LOL

------------------

#64522 Tue Jan 17 2006 07:20 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
o.k... my 3 cents... and please people that frequent our east coast shows.. don't slap me.. i have found better merchandise OUTSIDE our gas bashes. now... does it make the tailgating wrong.. well.. it depends on which side of the fence your looking at. for me.. hell.. if i find what i am looking for outside.. GOOD.... but does the practice make it wrong... hell yeah.. from a promotors point of view. seems both can have a common ground. its a fact of life.. it happens... and it ain't gonna end... so... whats the answer ????

#64523 Tue Jan 17 2006 07:54 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
I DISAGREE I DON'T CALL THIS ARGUEING OR FIGHTING ITS JUST DIFFERANCES OF OPINION
ON A GUY THAT SET UP OUTSIDE ON SATURDAY AND WAS SINGLED OUT BY THE PROMOTERS AND CALLED CHEAP AND THE ACT WAS REFERED TO THE SAME AS STEALING.
NEATHER sp PARTY WAS RITE BUT WHY POST IT HERE?
HUBBA I CONCIDER MYSELF A GOOD AMERICAN BUT I DON'T FORGET.......THATS THE EASY WAY.
REX LIKES HUBBA
P.S. HUBBA YOU CAN HAVE A SECOND PERSON AT YOUR SPACE WHEN YOU SET UP.......A FEW VENDORS DO THIS AND SELL ONLY WHAT THEY BUY AT THE SHOW ITS ONLY $15 DOLLARS MORE THAT THE $50 FOR A COUPLE.
NOT THE ROUTE I WOULD GO BUT THE PROMOTERS DON'T SEEM TO MIND. long ps

#64524 Tue Jan 17 2006 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HUBBA LIKES REX TOO

------------------

#64525 Tue Jan 17 2006 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Would yall quit talking about negs and someone PLEASE post some pictures of the show. I was there, paid my dues, but am sure I missed something that will show on someones show pictures.

#64526 Tue Jan 17 2006 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's too late to shut the gate for the past show, but not too early to add new rules for the next one.

..Make avaible outside spaces for those that have heavy items [or SMOKERS]
..ADMIT females & kids FREE [somebody has to drive home].

Try as you might, you will never stop items from being DELIVERED to someone meeting at your event.

Anyone that sets-up & sells in the parking lot, should pay a fee.
db

#64527 Tue Jan 17 2006 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It seems we always have a disagreement get a little out of hand this time of year. Must be cabin fever. We have a great group of guys here on Shop Talk.
It was wrong to sell outside a show. (I don't see a problem with delivering items that are pre-sold though). It was also wrong to single someone out publicly. This is a problem that should have been taken care of privately. So what does that prove? Someone made a mistake. It just proves they're human.
I'm with Hubba. Lets get back to having fun and learning about the things we collect!!!!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#64528 Tue Jan 17 2006 08:19 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
bob... maybe i missed something here.. don't want to beat a dead horse but.. if a member can get fifty posts on a lampshade... well... whats the problem here ??... did the promotors state no outside set ups ???.. like i said.. maybe i missed something... ethical or not...

#64529 Tue Jan 17 2006 08:41 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
PICTURES PLEASE!!!!

I put on the front range gas bash I know the effort that goes into these show. The promoters work there tails off not for $$ but to have a bunch of other gas geek hang out and sell and swap. I understand the promoters getting upset as they worked hard and someone worked around the rules.

The early bird fees are usually a bargain for the deals that are found and there are only a few gals that actualy attend so maybe the women can get a hall pass for the show for free?? I think I would let them without a charge. In fact I say we need more gals at the show so maybe I could start paying some of Doc's gal to start attending my show? Could you hook that up Doc?

Just random thoughts but seriously show me some dang pictures before I freak out.

Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!
#64530 Tue Jan 17 2006 08:41 PM
Online Cool
Years ago, I helped run an antique show in another interest area. It was really troubling to me to have people sneak in without paying admission and selling items without paying a vendor fee. If we don't support the shows, what happens if they close up?

I think it is wrong to sell outside the swap meet without paying for a space. Strictly delivering items already sold is a different deal to me though. But I do think John used some strong words in calling out Steve. Could have been done better privately or more tactfully.

The early buyer policy is the choice of the promoters. If the price is too high or if wives have to pay, people may stay away. It would be nice to have a policy that allows a disinterested wife to get in free. But theaters still charge me when my wife drags me to a chick movie that I don't really want to see. LOL

PS:
I took a few pictures. If you guys play nice, maybe I'll post them.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#64531 Tue Jan 17 2006 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DID I SAY ANYTHING, HMMMM?

OKAY, OKAY....I'LL SAY THIS:

"PICTURES PLEEEEEEASE!"

DOC @ TAG.WEST
stoopid post.....i know!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#64532 Tue Jan 17 2006 09:02 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
The whole "outside selling" deal is a tough nut to crack. For our auction (Feb. 18 BTW) we advertise a no parking lot sales policy, and we enforce it if necessary with the few off-duty cops I hire for the weekend. If guys do the selling at their hotels or at Wal-Mart, no harm no foul, but it's the in-your-face guys that end up pushing the limits and getting asked to leave.

Believe it or not (but I can prove it to you), I spend around $20,000 in promoting my sale. About 6 years ago, I was really working hard to get a certain pump-buyer to come to my auction. The morning of the auction, a guy from here in Oklahoma parked a trailer RIGHT NEXT to the entry doors. It was full of pumps and he had a FOR SALE poster with his cell # on it. I looked the other way and didn't really sweat it until I watched this certain pump-buyer not bid on any pumps all day. After the sale, I asked him why he didn't seem interested in any of the pumps and he said, "Well, I bought so many in the parking lot this morning, I really didn't have any more room to haul them". I decided right then and there that I would begin to enforce a no parking lot sales policy. The next year, he tried it again and my cop told him to shut it down, so he just went to the Pizza Hut parking lot across the street, which at that point, is none of my business. The only funny thing is, he got a ticket for vending without a city vendor permit!

The bottom line is, when you get a bunch of dealers and collectors together, they will be swapping it up SOMEWHERE....but most do it in a way that doesn't detract or directly compete with the event they are attending, WE"VE ALL DONE IT!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved