Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#646211 Sat Feb 06 2016 02:44 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Gulf Supreme Motor Oil Single Sided Porcelain Sign. Very large measuring 60" x 27 1/2". It has great gloss and vivid color. It has had some professional restoration where it was bent as you can see on the back. Its basically unnoticeable in the front. Its very study and would never know it had been repaired if not for the visual of the spot welding on back. if you need more pics let me know. $3500 shipped.

FullSizeRender-25.jpg FullSizeRender-26.jpg FullSizeRender-27.jpg

Jimmy McNerney
----------------
Mainly collect White Rose, Enarco, Derby Gas, Union 76. But also collect anything unique, rare or just plain cool.
All Items Offered Must Have Prices

All Items Offered in This Category Must Have Prices.
72 hour bumping rule now being enforced. Please read the For Sale Guidelines.

Please read and follow all the For Sale Petroliana forum Guidelines and Non-Petro For Sale forum Guidelines
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Price drop: $3000 shipped
or
$2800 if picked up or I can deliver to Getaway Gas next week or Indy Show in March.

Jimmy McNerney
----------------
Mainly collect White Rose, Enarco, Derby Gas, Union 76. But also collect anything unique, rare or just plain cool.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
ebay: 231841159893

Jimmy McNerney
----------------
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Interesting, I just purchased this sign on ebay and no where does it say that it was repaired,restored, damaged or anything like that...this is what the ad said
For your consideration is a Vintage Gulf Supreme Motor Oil Service Station Sign. The sign is made of porcelain. It is extremely large and heavy and measures 60" x 27 1/2". This is a very rare sign as hardly any of these survived. I can assure you that you won't easily find one of these. This highly sought after gem is an excellent addition to any advertising or petroliana collection or if you just want to own a really neat old sign as it would be the pinnacle of most collections. This is a very heavy sign and if you wish it may be picked up locally in the Indy area or can be delivered to the Indy Advertising Show in March. If you have any questions or need additional pictures, please ask. I have a large collection that I am listing in the coming days and I will be happy to combine shipping when possible. Please check out my other items on Ebay. Thank you for looking.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ray, sign is definitely not as described, he left out a very important detail that would reflect what is paid for the sign, I would be ***** and try to cancel the deal before shipping gets involved.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIntage-Original...n-/231841159893

...it actually does mention it, but not in the text Ray posted. Above that text, and above the multi-colored title in the description, in an off-white box, is 'item specifics':

"Condition: Used. Seller Notes: “This highly collectible and very scarce piece is truly a survivor. It has some damage to the finish as the pictures show. If you need additional pictures, or have any questions, please ask. I will be happy to send you some additional photos if needed. It has had some restoration as u can see.”

...now, I would agree that this info should have been included with the text Ray posted above, as it would be clearer - AND it's nowhere nearly as descriptive of the damage/restoration as the description posted above (in the Oldgas ad) but it is technically there frown

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
NO WAY Ray..I checked out the auction while it was running. The way it was worded it would have never sold for that. I would surely reconsider your purchase for that kind of coin. Although the seller did state it had work done..Im sure many other bidders missed it as you did where it was listed.

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
I just sent an email and a PM so lets see what happens
thanks for input

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Read his eBay feedback. NOT GOOD!

Wayne
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Seller, Jim McNerney, GOOD GUY. He apologized and has already refunded my money. He told me that he had his wife add that additional information however she didn't put the whole information in and he was not aware of that.
Thank you Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By eric grinder
Im sure many other bidders missed it as you did where it was listed.

...I agree...glad you and the seller were able to work it out...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
It wasn't intentional that it wasn't completely clear on the listing as per the extent of the restoration. Not to be pointing fingers or making excuses but my wife writes my listings for me and she was in a hurry and it was a honest mistake. I made it right with the buyer and refunded his money immediately as soon as it was pointed out to me. I am sympathetic and very understanding of his concerns. It has happened to me as well and would never do that to anyone. I 100% have no intentions on misleading anyone, if I was I, I wouldn't have disclosed the information on here AND posted the link with the item number to ebay. Don't be so quick to judge and once again my sincere apologies.

Jimmy McNerney
----------------
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By Wayne Wood
Read his eBay feedback. NOT GOOD!

I sold for many years to offset my collecting woes and never had one bad feedback. As far as my recent feedback, please let me explain. I did have a few items last year that I couldn't complete the sale. I was in an accident skiing on vacation and had to have a total hip replacement and it was three weeks before i could get back to Indiana from colorado and had nobody to package and send them for us. Two people were kind enough to wait for us to get home and send but the others were not so understanding.

As per the most recent bad feedback, I listed and a sign i bought at auction, right before it ended i was informed by a gentleman claiming to be the owner of this sign and it was stolen from his barn. I informed the gentlemen won it the situation and I was going to investigate it. Upon further review, I was provided both pictures of the item and a police report including this item as one that was stolen. I had to do the ethical thing and return this item to its rightful owner. I then took all paperwork back to the auction house for my refund. I included all the items to eBay to have the bad feedback removed and they still have yet to do so. So, please don't be so quick to judge. I am a honest man if nothing else. Thanks

Jimmy McNerney
----------------
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I sympathize with your situation, if all is actuate it just highlights the mine field one enters when selling on line no matter where it is. Just glad I don't do it that often.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
These days it is imperative to include at least one picture of the back of any sign advertised. That would have stopped this situation in its tracks. I am also seeing many ads, here and other places, without important information: size, porcelain or paint, single or double sided, etc.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved