Next Thread
Print Thread
#646215 Sat Feb 06 2016 03:18 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Found this today in a junk shop. Looks legit to me so I bought it. Any feedback as to age, rarity or value would be very much appreciated!

IMG_7441.JPG IMG_7442.JPG IMG_7443.JPG
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
pkhammer #646224 Sat Feb 06 2016 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
40's - .. ... cool

condition: w/hanger in the 1k neighborhood..

RANDY
pkhammer #646225 Sat Feb 06 2016 04:56 PM
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
it was buried for quite some time.nice find.

pkhammer #646246 Sat Feb 06 2016 08:07 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
In my opinion the Sunoco restroom signs are nowhere near as valuable as they used to be. I feel that the reproductions have hurt them and they seem to be plentiful. There are always a couple for sale on EBay it seems. One in much nicer condition than Gregs sold in November for $630. Pat

Last edited by puregas; Sat Feb 06 2016 08:09 PM. Reason: Name change

Looking for early Pure Oil Company items(Energee,Detonox,Puritan)as well as any Woco Pep items.

Looking for graphic quart cans for my collection.
puregas #646262 Sun Feb 07 2016 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By puregas
In my opinion the Sunoco restroom signs are nowhere near as valuable as they used to be. I feel that the reproductions have hurt them and they seem to be plentiful. There are always a couple for sale on EBay it seems. One in much nicer condition than Gregs sold in November for $630. Pat

I agree, I had a near mint one recently that it took forever to get $600. for it, no hangar with mine.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
puregas #646263 Sun Feb 07 2016 06:18 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By puregas
In my opinion the Sunoco restroom signs are nowhere near as valuable as they used to be.

Agreed!! I'm so glad I didn't buy one 2 years ago!!!

As for value on yours. In one of the major auctions it would bring Randy's price. Maybe more. On ebay, surely less.

These bath signs are a continual wonder to me. I truly believe there were at least two different manufactures of them and in two different time periods.
Take these two for example.
There are serious differences within the figures. With the second one having much sharper detail in many aspects. Especially in the lady figure.
The color is not the same (could be fade but I really don't think so).
They both have these additional holes in the bottom which the OP's did not. (I've seen both with and without holes. Not sure what they may have been for).
The first one has a code stamp and the second does not. Does this make the second one fake? If so, then why did they go to the trouble to put the rare lower holes in it? And what, they just happen to have an original brkt with original looking hanging hardware and they hung a fake sign on it? Doesn't make sense. I don't see how this second one can't be original.
Also, note the differences in the hanger loops and the shape and length of the scrolls on the brkt. (also not in the original B&W photo how the scroll comes all the way out to the end of the brkt. Does this make both these brkt's fake. No way!
There are differences in the "Rest Rooms" font. The tips of the R's, the shape of the "s".
But again, I struggle to think all this points to the second sign being fake given it looks like it's been on this brkt for some time.
I just believe there are at least two different authentic versions of these signs out there. Again, made by two different manufactures in two different time periods. But, I could be wrong!! Still always on the look for info relative to these signs.

2nd.jpg 1a (2).jpg holes.jpg
Last edited by Steve C.; Sun Feb 07 2016 06:33 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
pkhammer #646319 Sun Feb 07 2016 05:45 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Thank you for all of the replies. I'm pretty happy with my purchase and I guess that's what matters most. I'll clean it up a little and I think it'll find a place in my collection.

pkhammer #646338 Sun Feb 07 2016 07:40 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By pkhammer
I'll clean it up a little and I think it'll find a place in my collection.

Absolutely!! It's a great example!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved