Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#648092 Wed Feb 24 2016 08:43 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Just started work on rewiring the original light housing on my Bennett 543. Have not done this model before. I have two questions-

1) I have removed all the covers and only have the porcelain socket to get out. How do I remove it? Does it somehow screw out? I don't see any other way.
2) My pump has never had a globe on top. So there is no existing light socket on top. However, when I removed the top of the light assembly there is a porcelain socket hidden under it! Is that somehow supposed to be used for the globe? See the picture I posted.

image.jpeg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
dooger54 #648109 Thu Feb 25 2016 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The top part of the socket unscrews from the base of socket..The top socket is for a globe. A lot of these pumps used a extension socket for the globe light...

IMG_2443.JPG
SOCKET

IMG_2442.JPG
MODERN EXTENSION

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Original Extension ...The cover that was over the socket is the bottom part of this original extension...I just use the modern plastic type .It makes the bulb up higher inside the globe. Does your pump have 4 ad glass?

IMG_2444.JPG image.jpeg.jpg
Last edited by Keystone Gas Man; Thu Feb 25 2016 08:13 AM.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By Keystone Gas Man
The top part of the socket unscrews from the base of socket...

I unscrewed the top part of the socket. It's the base I can't get out.

And yes, my pump has four ad glass panels.

dooger54 #648118 Thu Feb 25 2016 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm sure the wires are holding the base portion of the socket, down into the holder?

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By K W FRITH
I'm sure the wires are holding the base portion of the socket, down into the holder?

Don't see that they are. Below are pics. There is a shiny glass residue around the sockets also. Almost like something has fused together from age or heat.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
dooger54 #648128 Thu Feb 25 2016 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Take it outside and heat it with a torch and that black stuff should soften up and take pliers and pull on socket... And don't breath the fumes ...they are nasty.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Take it outside and heat it with a torch and that black stuff should soften up and take pliers and pull on socket... And don't breath the fumes ...they are nasty.

That did it, but what a mess. I was originally hoping to salvage the original sockets, not happening!

Now I need to find some replacement sockets. Ideas?

image.jpeg
dooger54 #648147 Thu Feb 25 2016 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You might try Ryan Underthun ( The pump dump.com ) on this sight for originals...Or heres something close .Be safer and better to have the wire screws on bottom of socket.. Ebay item # 121284922129.. I will keep looking.

Last edited by Keystone Gas Man; Thu Feb 25 2016 01:45 PM.

dooger54 #648148 Thu Feb 25 2016 01:47 PM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
You need to learn to improvise. The fun and challenge is doing it yourself. Finding a way to get the results you want has a great appeal. If you constantly ask for all the instructions from others, you never achieve the appeal of figuring it out. I'm thinking about all those model cars that I put together as a kid. All had instructions, which I only read the first time. After that I did my own thing. Not criticizing, only suggesting you might like it once you try it? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

dooger54 #648149 Thu Feb 25 2016 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This thread is great since I have the light manifold for my Bennett 371 laying on the floor in my garage waiting for me to rewire it...

Got Socony???

Tom
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By gasmansgp
You need to learn to improvise. The fun and challenge is doing it yourself. Finding a way to get the results you want has a great appeal. If you constantly ask for all the instructions from others, you never achieve the appeal of figuring it out. I'm thinking about all those model cars that I put together as a kid. All had instructions, which I only read the first time. After that I did my own thing. Not criticizing, only suggesting you might like it once you try it? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Paul-

I can appreciate your comments and agree with you - to some extent. I would offer these points for consideration-

1). I am a "fixer" by nature and have been doing woodworking repair, work on classic cars and various other things for 40 years. So I am not afraid to try different things. However, this is my first time with a rewire like this. I posted my questions because I wanted to see if there was some way to salvage the original porcelain sockets. I had thought about heating them up, but knew if I did this it would ruin them. So I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an obvious way to get them out.
2). Forums like this are for people with experience to help each other. If there is someone out there who knows where to get good replacement sockets, I want to know that. Can save countless hours searching for solutions that someone else has come up with.

Anyway, to each their own methods.

Doug

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
You might try Ryan Underthun ( The pump dump.com ) on this sight for originals...Or heres something close .Be safer and better to have the wire screws on bottom of socket.. Ebay item # 121284922129.. I will keep looking.

I looked at those sockets on EBay - I agree that style would work well. Those are too wide though, over 2". Mine can't exceed about 1 3/4". Thanks for helping!

dooger54 #648187 Thu Feb 25 2016 08:25 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I'm not sure on the width? But I have gotten those 2 piece light sockets for my Bennetts at LOWES. And they are in both Vic's and GPH's. catalogs.... Mike

dooger54 #648192 Thu Feb 25 2016 09:05 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By dooger54
Originally Posted By gasmansgp

Paul-

I can appreciate your comments and agree with you - to some extent. I would offer these points for consideration-

1). I am a "fixer" by nature and have been doing woodworking repair, work on classic cars and various other things for 40 years. So I am not afraid to try different things. However, this is my first time with a rewire like this. I posted my questions because I wanted to see if there was some way to salvage the original porcelain sockets. I had thought about heating them up, but knew if I did this it would ruin them. So I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an obvious way to get them out.
2). Forums like this are for people with experience to help each other. If there is someone out there who knows where to get good replacement sockets, I want to know that. Can save countless hours searching for solutions that someone else has come up with.

Anyway, to each their own methods.

Doug

Doug You're doing nothing wrong. You stated right off the bat this was your first time working with this pump. It's great seeing someone asking questions and trying to things the right way and saving as much as possible with the original parts. Good for you Brother ask all the questions you want, that's what "some" of us are here for. Doug

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved