Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#648200 - Fri Feb 26 2016 12:51 AM New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby
zgusto Offline

Loc: IL and WI
HI guys, I am a big fan of forums. I think they are great communities and am a member of a handful. This one seems no different in that it has friendly people who want to help each other enjoy the hobby and share.

What has me bummed out, is the world of fakes. It takes away so much of the joy of the hobby...
I can't believe what scum people are that knowingly sell them and I can't believe how hard it is to sift through the garbage to find something that is real and makes you smile.
Clearly, where there is money to be made, there will be fraud. As a collector of rare cars, I have carefully navigated my way through, still occasionally getting burned (paperwork), yet always taking it on MY chin and not passing on any fraud.
I believe that is more important than money.

So tell me how you guys deal with it and some easy tips. I feel bad posting everything I want, but I guess that is what this is for.
I also have been burned, where I posted something and then someone went and bought it out from under me...

anyway, thanks in advance, and sorry for the small rant>

Best,

John

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#648202 - Fri Feb 26 2016 01:36 AM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: zgusto]
Jack Sim Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
You speak in very general terms, I cannot figure out what your point is. Are you stating that we are all flakes?

Jack Sim

#648208 - Fri Feb 26 2016 06:33 AM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: zgusto]
Keystone Gas Man Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Parkersburg, WV 26101
The fakes are getting better also... If we all work togh. we can help weed out the fakes...That's what so nice about this hobby.Everybody I have encountered here and at shows are fantastic. This site has taught me so much in the few years I have been a member...

#648217 - Fri Feb 26 2016 09:38 AM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: zgusto]
Oldgas Offline

Loc: South of St. Louis, MO USA
Knowledge is the best defense against getting burned by a fake item. Ask questions here and among experience collectors in person at petroliana swap meets. Hold and examine real signs up close to get a feel for real. Know the reputation of the seller and the other items he is offering.

#648249 - Fri Feb 26 2016 12:21 PM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: zgusto]
Savinsam Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: northwestern Pa.
In any event, that Pontiac sure isn't a fake!

#648251 - Fri Feb 26 2016 01:00 PM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: Jack Sim]
zgusto Offline

Originally Posted By Jack Sim
You speak in very general terms, I cannot figure out what your point is. Are you stating that we are all flakes?

Jack Sim

Sorry you misunderstood Jack, if you read it again, I am speaking positively about forums like this and this end of the hobby. My comment was more about how sad the fraud out there is and how to navigate through it without being a pest...I have always had good luck with forums like this, and this one seems to be particularly helpful and comprised of small egos and big knowledge.....not flakes??

#648252 - Fri Feb 26 2016 01:11 PM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: Savinsam]
zgusto Offline

Originally Posted By Savinsam
In any event, that Pontiac sure isn't a fake!

Thanks Sam, I actually just sold that one after owning it for 14 years. Should have looked harder for something more on topic....

#648254 - Fri Feb 26 2016 01:18 PM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: zgusto]
henlovestoys Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
OK, ...

Have you paid any attention to recent auctions?

Specifically the ones : last OCT & JAN of this year!

Hobby going strong, eh? wink

JMO!

#648288 - Fri Feb 26 2016 06:21 PM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: zgusto]
Nicole Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Maryland
Asking opinions on objects already posted in auctions/online does draw more attention to said object. It's a double edged sword. It doesn't mean the people who 'won' the item, were trying to burn you. It just means they were looking for the same thing for their collection.

#648290 - Fri Feb 26 2016 06:34 PM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: Nicole]
henlovestoys Offline
Veteran Member

I think you misunderstood my point!

At any rate, I rest my case!

Edited by henlovestoys (Fri Feb 26 2016 06:36 PM)

#648293 - Fri Feb 26 2016 06:57 PM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: zgusto]
Nicole Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Maryland
Hen,

I wasn't referring to your post. smile I was referring to what John wrote:

"I also have been burned, where I posted something and then someone went and bought it out from under me..."

#648296 - Fri Feb 26 2016 07:11 PM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: Nicole]
henlovestoys Offline
Veteran Member

Got it Nicole! My apologies for reading it wrong!

Now, the statement by John got me curious ...

John wrote :"I also have been burned, where I posted something and then someone went and bought it out from under me..."

Posted where?

#648299 - Fri Feb 26 2016 07:46 PM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: zgusto]
blacktee Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Saline, Mi USA

John

Welcome to oldgas. You found the right site when it comes to gas & oil. Like Jim Potts mentioned get to know the veterans on this site, go to gas & oil shows. Look long and hard with pieces you're interested in. Don't ever be afraid to ask question here. Seek out the guys that have a lot of knowledge about certain companies. My self I can try and help you with Texaco/Havoline.

Good Luck, nice Pontiac, what else you have hiding in your garage ? : ) Doug

#648325 - Sat Feb 27 2016 12:19 AM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: henlovestoys]
zgusto Offline

Originally Posted By henlovestoys
Got it Nicole! My apologies for reading it wrong!

Now, the statement by John got me curious ...

John wrote :"I also have been burned, where I posted something and then someone went and bought it out from under me..."

Posted where?

Not here or in this hobby....

#648390 - Sat Feb 27 2016 09:21 PM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: zgusto]
puregas Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: murfreesboro,tn, usa
John, welcome to Oldgas. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Some on here might make you feel like a dummy because you might ask a question that they feel like the answer is obvious. It takes time to become experienced with anything in life and we've all gotten burned or bought something that our gut told us we shouldn't buy. That's how we learn, usually by our mistakes. Slow down and ask questions.The vast majority of people on here are very helpful. NOW, please get that pump out of the way and show us that hemi cuda! Is that what is behind your nice pump? Pat

Looking for early Pure Oil Company items(Energee,Detonox,Puritan)as well as any Woco Pep items.

Looking for graphic quart cans for my collection.

#648405 - Sun Feb 28 2016 07:12 AM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: zgusto]
redindianguy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario, Canada
This is a great site with people dedicated to limiting fakes and the effect they have on our hobby . Its happened in everything from old cars to stamps to sports cards but they all survived with great communities putting down the money grabbing scammers . This is some of the best people out there helping each other . Thanks especially to Jim Potts and Jack Sim .

#648452 - Sun Feb 28 2016 03:32 PM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: zgusto]
Jack Sim Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
John,
I apologize, read the word wrong, this is what happens when I answer posts at 1 am in the morning.

I have been in this hobby for almost 30 years now and was a petro vendor for most of them, but even with all my knowledge I still got burned recently. Went to a indoor auction, very little petro, bid on three oil bottles, one was tall Iso-Vis. Shouldn't have bid on them as they were outside my knowledge, all three turned out to be repros. Could easily sell them, but that's not the way I do things, they sit where I can see them everyday reminding me of the word I preach "KNOWLEDGE" "KNOWLEDGE" kNOWLEDGE." As most guys will tell you, we all learn the hard way.

Jack Sim

Edited by Jack Sim (Sun Feb 28 2016 03:34 PM)

#648530 - Mon Feb 29 2016 12:08 PM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: puregas]
zgusto Offline

Originally Posted By puregas
John, welcome to Oldgas. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Some on here might make you feel like a dummy because you might ask a question that they feel like the answer is obvious. It takes time to become experienced with anything in life and we've all gotten burned or bought something that our gut told us we shouldn't buy. That's how we learn, usually by our mistakes. Slow down and ask questions.The vast majority of people on here are very helpful. NOW, please get that pump out of the way and show us that hemi cuda! Is that what is behind your nice pump? Pat

Thanks Pat, and good eye on my Hemicuda...have had it in my collection for over 15 years...very original car and a 4sp.

Here are my current, Mopars at least...;-)

Edited by zgusto (Mon Feb 29 2016 12:16 PM)

#649692 - Sat Mar 12 2016 06:27 AM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: zgusto]
redindianguy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario, Canada
nice wheels

#649701 - Sat Mar 12 2016 08:04 AM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: zgusto]
pickurt Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Northern California
Welcome John and sweet Mopars !

#649714 - Sat Mar 12 2016 10:47 AM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: zgusto]
Mike M. Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Western, WI.
Welcome to old gas!

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.

#650688 - Sun Mar 20 2016 04:24 PM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: zgusto]
BIGFOOT Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut
Nice TA. I'm sitting in my 26,000 mile 3 owner LS6 Chevelle as I read this. Just warming it up.....

#650695 - Sun Mar 20 2016 05:21 PM Re: New to forum and disgusted by # of FAKES in hobby [Re: zgusto]
Cold Pizza Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Illinois
Love to see that car Bigfoot..Pictures?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved