Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z
zgusto Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
HI guys, I am a big fan of forums. I think they are great communities and am a member of a handful. This one seems no different in that it has friendly people who want to help each other enjoy the hobby and share.

What has me bummed out, is the world of fakes. It takes away so much of the joy of the hobby...
I can't believe what scum people are that knowingly sell them and I can't believe how hard it is to sift through the garbage to find something that is real and makes you smile.
Clearly, where there is money to be made, there will be fraud. As a collector of rare cars, I have carefully navigated my way through, still occasionally getting burned (paperwork), yet always taking it on MY chin and not passing on any fraud.
I believe that is more important than money.

So tell me how you guys deal with it and some easy tips. I feel bad posting everything I want, but I guess that is what this is for.
I also have been burned, where I posted something and then someone went and bought it out from under me...

anyway, thanks in advance, and sorry for the small rant>

Best,

John

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
You speak in very general terms, I cannot figure out what your point is. Are you stating that we are all flakes?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The fakes are getting better also... If we all work togh. we can help weed out the fakes...That's what so nice about this hobby.Everybody I have encountered here and at shows are fantastic. This site has taught me so much in the few years I have been a member...

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Knowledge is the best defense against getting burned by a fake item. Ask questions here and among experience collectors in person at petroliana swap meets. Hold and examine real signs up close to get a feel for real. Know the reputation of the seller and the other items he is offering.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
In any event, that Pontiac sure isn't a fake!

Z
zgusto Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted By Jack Sim
You speak in very general terms, I cannot figure out what your point is. Are you stating that we are all flakes?

Jack Sim

Sorry you misunderstood Jack, if you read it again, I am speaking positively about forums like this and this end of the hobby. My comment was more about how sad the fraud out there is and how to navigate through it without being a pest...I have always had good luck with forums like this, and this one seems to be particularly helpful and comprised of small egos and big knowledge.....not flakes??

Z
zgusto Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted By Savinsam
In any event, that Pontiac sure isn't a fake!

Thanks Sam, I actually just sold that one after owning it for 14 years. Should have looked harder for something more on topic....

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
OK, ...

Have you paid any attention to recent auctions?

Specifically the ones : last OCT & JAN of this year!

Hobby going strong, eh? wink

JMO!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Asking opinions on objects already posted in auctions/online does draw more attention to said object. It's a double edged sword. It doesn't mean the people who 'won' the item, were trying to burn you. It just means they were looking for the same thing for their collection.

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
I think you misunderstood my point!

At any rate, I rest my case!

Last edited by henlovestoys; Fri Feb 26 2016 05:36 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hen,

I wasn't referring to your post. smile I was referring to what John wrote:

"I also have been burned, where I posted something and then someone went and bought it out from under me..."

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Got it Nicole! My apologies for reading it wrong!

Now, the statement by John got me curious ...

John wrote :"I also have been burned, where I posted something and then someone went and bought it out from under me..."

Posted where?

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

John

Welcome to oldgas. You found the right site when it comes to gas & oil. Like Jim Potts mentioned get to know the veterans on this site, go to gas & oil shows. Look long and hard with pieces you're interested in. Don't ever be afraid to ask question here. Seek out the guys that have a lot of knowledge about certain companies. My self I can try and help you with Texaco/Havoline.

Good Luck, nice Pontiac, what else you have hiding in your garage ? : ) Doug

Z
zgusto Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted By henlovestoys
Got it Nicole! My apologies for reading it wrong!

Now, the statement by John got me curious ...

John wrote :"I also have been burned, where I posted something and then someone went and bought it out from under me..."

Posted where?

Not here or in this hobby....

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
John, welcome to Oldgas. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Some on here might make you feel like a dummy because you might ask a question that they feel like the answer is obvious. It takes time to become experienced with anything in life and we've all gotten burned or bought something that our gut told us we shouldn't buy. That's how we learn, usually by our mistakes. Slow down and ask questions.The vast majority of people on here are very helpful. NOW, please get that pump out of the way and show us that hemi cuda! Is that what is behind your nice pump? Pat

Looking for early Pure Oil Company items(Energee,Detonox,Puritan)as well as any Woco Pep items.

Looking for graphic quart cans for my collection.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved