Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Z
zgusto Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
HI, I joined this forum, for help avoiding the pitfalls of the fraud/fakes and reproductions passed off as real. My son and I have begun to do more collecting in this area and want to enjoy quality real things and not get scammed. I am a member of an auto forum for pretty much every marque or model I collect and thought it made sense to be on here.
However, I am struggling to get help in the area I need it most. I have gotten a few responses and am very grateful to those people for taking the time to educate and inform me.
Where should I be posting items in question??

I just bought a pair of "nos" Gulf No-Nox" pump plates, that I posted on here first. They arrived today and they seem like repops to me. Porcelain seems a little thin and the edges are a bit rough, not smooth like I expect.
Please let me know where I can get the most experienced eyeballs on things my little boy and I would like to add to our garage and collection.

Thanks!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John, why are you buying items and then asking if the item; is "real"?

If you don't have any idea about what is fake vs authentic? Why are you buying instead of doing research?

It is not up to us too help you make decisions after you have already bought an item... The old adage of "Closing the Barn Door after the Animals have escaped" is very direct and too the point, here... It is way too late for someone to help; if you already own the item...

We all had to learn about this Hobby... Some of the Membership learned about this Hobby during the "Internet Age"; as you are doing... Some learned about this Hobby, by going to Shows and reading different "Gas and Oil Collector's Guides"... Some learned about this Hobby long before any of that...

But, we all learned... And we all learned that one better do their own research; because the Guy who tells you that an item is "real or fake"? May not know anymore than you do...

Now, you do have an advantage that many Members didn't have! You can use "Google Search" at the bottom of each page and call up past discussions that the Members have had about a specific topic(s). You can learn from the past mistakes and from discussions that stopped a possible mistake...

A few years ago; a new batch of Members came on Oldgas and demanded that those with experience "school them" in short easy lessons... So they wouldn't have to spend the years that comes with having actual experience in this Hobby... Most of them, left Oldgas in a "huff"... Complaining loudly and in some cases very profanely... That when the experienced died; the Hobby would die with them... Of course that was and is total BS.

But, what hasn't changed is the fact that each one of us in the Hobby... Has had to learn for ourselves what is authentic and what is not... No one can be 100% sure of anything... And as you must have observed in the Online Auctions Forum; if someone is not sure about an item(s)... They ask the opinion of the Group. Most of the time, the answers given are correct... Sometimes they are not.

One thing is almost as certain as possible; if we see an item that doesn't look right... We almost never buy, that item; hoping against hope that it will end up being "real"... And as you have noted; that is exactly what you are doing most every time you buy an item...

Ask about items... But, realize that if all you are doing is expecting those here to make your buying decisions, for you? And you aren't putting in the work required to gain experience? Then the Membership will notice and fewer and fewer will answer your questions...

All of us that are actual Collectors (and many on Oldgas are not Collectors) are constantly doing research. Yes, new fakes are popping up in the Marketplace on a Daily Basis... That is one of the interesting aspects of this Hobby... One better be on their toes. There are a number of Collectors in the Illinois and Wisconsin area. Contact some of them and ask if they will share their thoughts? Ask if you can visit them and see up close their Collections... I bet most of them have a "few duds" around to remind themselves that they always need to be on their guards against fakes... ( I know I have a couple around, just because of being fooled)

I'm not sure if my thoughts are a help or not? But, if nothing else it will give you a different perspective about this Hobby...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John, you asked about those pump plates, got confirmation they were real, bought them, now you are questioning the "experts" you asked for advice? You admitted you didn't know real from fake, the signs are real and welcome to the world of collecting signs, There are no instant learning classes you have to learn as you go and do some research.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Very well spoken Bob

Daryl
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I would suggest you go to one of the myriad of shows that a great deal of people on this board attend and try to learn at the show with pieces at the show.
Additionally I am pretty sure there are many collectors in WI. So there should be some hands on knowledge near you.

RIP Kiwi
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This morning I measured a Tiger Crane sign that I have to confirm in my mind that they are now being repoped. I was looking threw the signs that rustyrelicsart has listed on e-bay yesterday. Most are fake {a good source to see what is out there}, a few I believe are real but still researching ? When I looked threw his listings I noticed that he has sold more then one of these Tiger Crane signs. Who ever has more then one, if even one? First indication something is wrong. The measurements sounded wrong but close enough that if you were not sure you would say, who would reproduce a sign that large. Really it is much smaller then the original. Then the selling price. They are selling for a quarter of what a bad real one would be. Rustyrelicsart is a source for the cons to come in the hobby but he is also a source to educate ones self against those cons.

I go to a big flea market in Hillsville Va. every year. The main reason I go now is for the education. It is the first show of the year where I can see the new fake signs that are out in quantity. Nothing better then being able to pick up something and take a close look. Go to all the shows and you will learn to recognize the fakes.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Also, If I am not 100% sure about a item I wont say either way.. And sometimes you cant tell from photos alone.. Cameras and software can throw colors off. Hands on and veteran collectors is your best bet. I agree, Go to shows like Columbus, Iowa, etc. and talk to collectors there. The hobby is too expensive anymore to leave it to chance.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Z
zgusto Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Thanks to everyone for the feedback, I do appreciate it! Sorry for the delay, but I was with my son in Mexico for his spring break.
I am definitely one to try and do my research. My main point of the post was, where best I can post stuff to get opinions, and I know that often times, they are just that. I still would like to know the best section to do so, as to be a good and contributing member of this forum.
The signs I bought, I did so after posting and getting one positive response, for which I showed gratitude, as that is the type of man I am. I also attended Peotone and put my hands on a number of signs including the same kind of plates I ended up buying. I did this before purchase as well...
I plan to attend as many shows as possible and get to know people and pieces. While I know it is not heavily focused on petroliana, I am heading to Chicago coin-op. Please let me know if you are going, so I can meet some of you in person and shake your hand.
As far as these No-nox plates...I was told They were bought from the retired owner of a gulf distribution factory from Nashville tn. I went for them based on the response here, Peotone and looking on line at the specimens I bought as well as as many as I could find. It was only after I received them, that I questioned the edges, and the trademark size...something that was hard to take in from photos. So thanks again for confirmation (KZ1000) et al.

I look forward to meeting as many of you active members as I can, as well as a rich, rewarding and learning experience here on old gas.

My best,

John

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Couple guys will be at coin op. Please take few pics to post of the general merchandise being offered.

RIP Kiwi

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved