Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Done4 #650871 Mon Mar 21 2016 08:20 PM
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Sad but I don't think a double box would have made any significant difference. It takes alot of weight to damage the box and smashing the can. I get 20 to 30 priority packages delivered a week and never had one show up crushed.that must have been one angry postman.sad

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Done4 #650976 Wed Mar 23 2016 12:19 AM
S
S
You cant ship anything through USPS and expect it to arrive unscathed, unless you go out of your way to make sure its packed very securely. Even then, it might not help. I recently packed a old Firestone sign in a wood shipping crate and it still arrived damaged. It actually looked like someone had ran over it with a forklift. A beautiful porcelain sign, ruined. Fortunately I was insured against the damage but what a pain in the ***** to deal with.

Done4 #651004 Wed Mar 23 2016 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Interesting. Yesterday I had a USPS shipment arrive. An updated GPS DVD for my car shipped in a way larger box than the DVD and the box looked like a spike had been driven into it. But they (USPS Gremlins)missed the DVD.

Done4 #651032 Wed Mar 23 2016 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It seems that there is an epidemic of Clueless Sellers out there. crazy Maybe we should start a Forum and wager if items will have survived the packing or lack there of?

A few days ago, I bought a 1925 Emergency 1 gallon Gas Can that is marked Aetna Oil.... The package arrived just a few minutes ago... eek

Honestly, I was nervous about what I would find when I pulled the can out of the box... sick

It seems to my eye; to be more flat and bent than the Auction photos showed when I bought it.. cry .. LOL But, I have my trusty long handled "slip joint" pliers always handy and I was able to make it look close to when it was first used... And I guess I could always try filling it with liquid to see if more dents would pop out? confused

The can in relationship to the box....

I was lucky, that the damage was not worse. wink I will send a polite note to the Seller; telling him that the can arrived... And make a suggestion that he use the appropriate size boxes when he ships items. And if he needs to charge more for shipping; then do so....

I hope this is the last item I get packed in this manner; for a long, long time! grin

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Done4 #651042 Wed Mar 23 2016 03:02 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I can't help but laugh !! Bob, its a good thing for the seller that you are being so light hearted about it. That has got to be the worse packing job I've ever seen! He should have a least loaded it up with packing tape. Lol..

Imperial Oil collector..
Done4 #651464 Mon Mar 28 2016 12:35 AM
S
S
It doesn't even look like he put tape down the center lid of the box??? That is a travesty. I keep a million different sized boxes on hand, foam sheeting, air bags and shredding to prevent this problem. It might take you a lot longer to pack, but your customers won't be complaining when their items arrived unscathed.

Last edited by Semitar; Mon Mar 28 2016 12:36 AM.
Done4 #651474 Mon Mar 28 2016 06:52 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Beings how we are sharing bad packaging. I bought a shell globe a few years back from a very nice gentleman, he said he packed it very securely and had paid the post office extra for hand cancelling so it did not have to be run through the machines. When I went to pick it up at the Post Office and they set it on the counter it made a nice tinkling sound. We opened it up and this was the result. I felt bad for the guy who sold it to me as it had been in his family for years and came from his Dad's station. Luckily the insurance paid for everything but it was still a hassle find another one.

shell2.JPG shell.JPG shell3.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seller did try to make it safe...Built this wooden box. But, all the shock from the wooden box knocked around went straight to the lenses.. I wanted these bad too frown

IMG_0701.jpg IMG_0702.jpg DPP_0002.JPG

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved