Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Classifieds | Bookstore | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#653390 - Tue Apr 19 2016 10:21 AM How can I spot authentic/fake Route 66 signs?
bjarte Offline

Loc: norway
Hi Members

I`m a newbie and new to this forum. I am trying to learn how to spot the fake/authentic US 66 signs in the market. I have seen some signs I was wondering if is authentic and I would really appreciate if there is any expert on the subject here to learn me a little more about tell tale signs and if this sign is an authentic US 66 sign?
Thanks a lot in advance
kind regards Bjarte

ebay route66 sign

#653399 - Tue Apr 19 2016 12:52 PM Re: How can I spot authentic/fake Route 66 signs? [Re: bjarte]
richlube Online   content
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: santa barbara calif usa
the sign is not old or original.made to look old,if it was original it would have sold.its best you run them by old gas prior to buying if you are not sure.

#653404 - Tue Apr 19 2016 02:08 PM Re: How can I spot authentic/fake Route 66 signs? [Re: bjarte]
Loyd Pierce Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Mt. Juliet, Tenn.
By no means a expert but I can tell you there are more not original than original. Any time ebay gives me two more examples of the same sign its pretty much a given that someone is aging new signs.
Welcome to Oldgas!

#653409 - Tue Apr 19 2016 03:00 PM Re: How can I spot authentic/fake Route 66 signs? [Re: bjarte]
Ohio Oil Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Northwest Ohio
Try the search function at the bottom of the page .... use route 66 sign as your search words .... numerous pages will be shown.

Sometimes the best way to learn about items is to search it out for yourself on this great site.

Hope that helps.

#653768 - Sat Apr 23 2016 10:24 AM Re: How can I spot authentic/fake Route 66 signs? [Re: bjarte]
OLDTINDEALER Offline

Loc: New York
Here is the guy who makes all the fake route 66 signs.His ebay name is beautyrest1 . I was his UPS guy for a while. He sells them as repros, but the buyers resell them as real. Only makes small batches now. He once sent some to several well known auction houses, everyone authenticated them as real !!!! I believe he made signs for movies (Hollywood) for a while. I know he uses glass marbles from the far east because they are hand blown. Another link to one of his "period correct" repros

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930s-STYLE-LOS-ANGELES-CITY-LIMIT-SIGN-W-CATSEYE-REFLECTORS-LG-32-TALL-STEEL-/391362689036?hash=item5b1f08b80c:g:9zoAAOSwL7VWkysw

#653769 - Sat Apr 23 2016 10:26 AM Re: How can I spot authentic/fake Route 66 signs? [Re: bjarte]
OLDTINDEALER Offline

Loc: New York
As you see in the above link, he will have 4 repo route 66 signs in a week. They will be relisted ASAP on ebay as real. Guaranteed.

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog3 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved