Next Thread
Print Thread
#65630 Wed Jan 26 2005 11:16 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Here are some scanned brochure pages to chew on....if you want one mailed, call 405.282.5586 or e-mail vicsplace@sbcblobal.net. Be sure to pull all the way down to the bottom of the page.
http://www.vicsplace.com/newsletter.asp

[This message has been edited by Seth Robbins (edited 01-26-2005).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seth, I have a question... you have on the front page of the flyer NO Parking lot sales and lot will be checked. Why are you doing that? There are guys coming from all over and might want to buy a globe from joe blow and both of them will be at the auction or john doe has some globes in the truck... why not let them pedal there stuff? most of the guys selling would probibly spend the money in the auction anyway. Just wondering.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Jarvis, it goes on every year, but this is in there for the guys that will pull up next to the front door with a trailer load of pumps for $250 a piece and leave their cell # and all day long guys are coming in and out making deals with him. 5 years ago, I invited a big pump buyer in from Arkansas, I even comped him a hotel room and got him free dinner at the local steakhouse. The morning of the sale, a guy is parked at the entrance of the building with about 10 pumps for sale. My big fish bought him out and after loading up these pumps, discovered he had no more room so he wasn't able to bid on any of my pumps in the auction. So I spend $20,000 putting this sale on (no kidding!) and I get left out in the cold with my pump buyer, NO THANKS! I understand that guys will have prearranged mini-swaps at their hotels or may have prearranged deliveries and/or pick-ups on sale day, but if I'm going to spend the dough to bring everyone to town, and my consignors are going to cough up parts of their collections in hopes that they sell high, why risk losing buyers to people that won't respect the event. You know as well as I do, some guys get an inch & they take a mile so we had to put a stop to it. Seth

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can understand that... here is an example at the jerry winston auction. I went to buy 1 globe and I was back up bidder and ran it up there. After it was done I got talking to a guy there that had the exact one in his truck and was in a little better shape. I went out and bought it for the same price. Auction people were happy and so was I. Maybe have parking lot deals after the auction instead of not at all would work?

I can say IF and that if i was a big globe buyer and you paid for my room and meal and didn't buy any globes from you... what kinda guy am I?

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I understand what you are saying, but the deal is that a lot of guys don't respect what you go through financially & time-wise to put an event-type auction on and will detract from the sale all day long. The bottom-line is that you are a great guy and wouldn't want to get in the way of us having a great sale, but there is always a few guys who can't play by the rules and ruined it for everybody. The example I gave is one of many from those first few years, now those guys just set-up in abandoned parking lots near the sale which is none of my business, but lately our city wants to see their $500 itinerant vendor permit, I guess there ARE NO free lunches!

P
P
Thanks Seth for posting pictures of the brochure pages.....saw enough already to convince me to get out the check book and be there when the fun / action begins online. Correction....I meant get the credit card out. Look forward to seeing the rest of the goodies.......

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
SETH,, THANKS FOR THE FLYER.. ALTHOUGH I CAN'T ATTEND THE AUCTION,, I AGREE ON YOUR " NO PARKING LOT SALE" RULE.. THE LITTLE STUFF WILL HAPPEN ANYWAY AS WE ALL KNOW,, BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE A SMALL FLEA MARKET OR SWAP MEET OUTSIDE YOUR FUNCTION.. LET'S PUT IT LIKE THIS,,: IF YOU GO OUT TO DINNER AT A FANCY RESTAURANT,, AND PLAN TO HAVE STEAK, OR LOBSTER ,OR,, "WHATEVER"??,, AND A GUY IN "YOUR" PARKING LOT IS SELLING IT FOR A COUPLEBUCKS LESS,, OR A LITTLE BIT MORE FOR THE SAME PRICE,, IN "YOUR" PARKING LOT,,, THAT IS JUST FLAT OUT RUDE!!! THE THINGS THAT GO ON IN HOTEL ROOMS, AND BY WORD OF MOUTH,, WILL NEVER CHANGE ,, AND IS OKAY AS FAR AS I CAN SEE, NOBODY CAN CONTROL THAT.. WHAT HAPPENS "OFF" OF YOUR PROPERTY, AS FAR AS STREET VENDORS ARE CONCERNED IS OKAY AS LONG AS THEY HAVE A BUSINESS LICENCE IN THAT COUNTY.. AGAIN SETH,, YOU ALL MADE A WISE DECISION, AND THATS WHY I WILL CONTINUE TO DO BUSINESS WITH YOU IN THE FUTURE.. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR AUCTION.. T-BONE..

[This message has been edited by T-BONE (edited 01-26-2005).]

[This message has been edited by T-BONE (edited 01-26-2005).]

K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
NICE AD IN ANTIQUE WEEK AND NICE BROCHURE SETH.IF I RECALL LAST YEAR I WAS GOING TO BID ON THE REFINERS ETHYL AND OTHER METAL BODY GLOBES BUT YOU COULD NOT TELL IF THERE WERE 2 LENSES OR ONE ON BIDSPOTTER.THE GLASS BODY GLOBE DISCRIPTION READ 3PC.GLASS ON MOST OF THEM.
SO IF YOU PLAN TO BID ON LINE ASK QUESTIONS EARLY.
REX

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Rex...thanks for the head's-up, I will make abundantly clear if there is one lens or two. Did you see those crown globes?? I thought those might interest you...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved