Next Thread
Print Thread
#656251 Sun May 22 2016 02:14 PM
R
roza Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi everyone,
when looking for some old tool in "to be reconstructed" garage,I found this can.Quite unusual here,in central Europe,I would like to know the origin,date of production and the value of it.
Measures 168/103/73 cm.Empty.Closed firmly,askew,I dont want to open violently,to prevent damage.
Thank you for opportunity to join the forum and for your help.

roza

nožekvěten16 001.jpg nožekvěten16 002.jpg nožekvěten16 003.jpg nožekvěten16 004.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
roza #656259 Sun May 22 2016 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Roza, hello and welcome to Oldgas. The measurements you have listed. Aren't they millimeters instead of centimeters? In millimeters the can you show, is approx. 6-1/2" tall x 4" wide x 3" deep...

Your can was produced during/after 1936 (as per the Tide Water Associated Oil Company, Corporate name). Based on the shape of the can and the wording on the can; IMO(for whatever that is worth) your can was produced between 1936 and 1939....

The design on the can; is called the "Small Diamond Star-burst" design and was used here in the States from approx. 1930 to 1936.(depending on the size of the can)

I do not see a size on your can. Nor do I see any wording suggesting which European Market the can was produced for.

I am not familiar with your can (and I thought I had seen most every size and shape Veedol can); maybe Veedol_AL or one of the other Veedol Collectors on Oldgas are familiar with it?

I have a few cans from the European Market; but mine were produced after WWII and for specific European Markets...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
roza #656285 Sun May 22 2016 11:35 PM
R
roza Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi,
sure they are millimeters instead of centimeters,mea culpa.Sorry and thank you for your post,full of interesting informations,Bob.

roza #656357 Mon May 23 2016 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
But it would be for a foreign market as the label says Made in the United States of America? Maybe for UK? Or do the cans for the U.S. market also have that?

roza #656385 Tue May 24 2016 04:51 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Old Gas and thanks for sharing your wonderfull can...as a long time Veedol collector its refreshing to see a new starburst can,which I have never seen this can...as Bob said about the history he`s totaly right on...since we have never seen this can in America,its very hard to put a value on it,since we have no buying history to compare with,such as EBAY or major auction co`s..you have a very good find here ,appreciate you sharing the can with us..Alan

Big Al`s Garage
Always looking for::
Veedol-Tydol-Tidex-Cycol-Tycol.
roza #656394 Tue May 24 2016 06:22 AM
R
roza Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi Alan and thanks,it makes me happy to hear its refreshing for you,a long time Veedol collector,especialy when I realise that the can was so close to be wasted in trash... Seems to be a nice piece of history.I decided to join this forum after long unsuccessful searching on the web.

roza #656416 Tue May 24 2016 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Its hard to believe that it was going to get crushed,,I`m glad someone saved this can and any can that was going to met it fate,,we have to keep the history alive with any can not just this starburst one...I`m partial to the starburst cans out of all the cans in the Tidewater Associated Oil Co..hope we can help you in any way on this site,just ask,,I`d be more than happy to help you in any way,we love pictures so post if you have any..thanks Alan

Big Al`s Garage
roza #656437 Tue May 24 2016 03:26 PM
R
roza Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Al,it depends....."hard to belive"... it may be nice looking can,but only a few of "insiders" here in Europe knows what Tidewater and Veedol is,with all the respect to you and to the company.I did not ,before I joined this forum.
Irony is,the can,probably brought by american soldiers during the WWII,I found together with german Wermacht 20 l jerrycan...
Anyway,I unerstand it could vary,but when talking about the value - are we talking about the amount under or above 100?
Pictures - OK,we plan a BBQ this weekend,so I will take the can with us and make a shot :-) (sorry,I hope you understand my sense of humour)
Seriously - is there any angle or focuspoint,I should make a picture to have a better opportunity to identify the can?

roza #656512 Wed May 25 2016 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just thought if you had other gasoline related items,pictures would be nice,but I understand that you just found this can but may not be a collector.I would say probably right at that amount,just agreeing with you,,....like I said before without any history its very hard to determine,..Alan

Big Al`s Garage
roza #656564 Wed May 25 2016 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was thinking WWII but with the date Bob gave...could it have been sent prior to the U.S. involvement to help the armies of countries that would become their allies? Or is it possible they ran the starburst beyond 39? The square shape would certainly maximize shipping quantity.

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved