Next Thread
Print Thread
#6569 Wed Aug 14 2002 09:36 AM
+
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
+
Can someone tell me the significence of the diferant colors on the crown globes, I understand that there was ,all white, red, blue , gold, and I heared that there was a green and a purple, what did these colors represent, regular gas primium gas fuel oil ,diesel, kerosene, and does any one have the color codes for these colors

Chris Holt
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#6570 Wed Aug 14 2002 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chris,
Red Crown was the regular grade gasoline from the early 1930`s through 1962.

White Crown was the premium grade from the early 1930's through 1956.

Gold Crown was the premium grade from 1956 until 1962.

Grey Crown was diesel fuel from 1956-62.

Green Crown was Naptha (tractor fuel) in the 1930's.

Blue Crown was a sub-regular grade of gasoline used from the 1930's through 1948.

Purple Crown was a motor grade (sub-regular) in the 1930's. This globe is actually purple and red.(there are only a few of these known to exist).

Orange Crown was aviation fuel.(there is only one of these known to exist).

There were Red and Gold, and Red and White crowns for dual product pumps.

There were multiple versions of raised letter crowns. These were "Red Crown" , "Red Crown Ethyl" , "Solite". THESE RAISED LETTER CROWNS ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT SHOULD BE REPAINTED , with the possible exception of the very common Red or Gold crowns. Anyone could take a common color Crown and paint it one of the rare colors (Grey, Green,Blue,Orange,Purple) and deceive a potential buyer.
It would be perfectly alright to paint a repro crown with a six inch base any color.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#6571 Fri Aug 16 2002 06:06 AM
+
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
+
Thanks for the information, Yes I do want to paint a globe but only a repro I think these crowns are truly pieces of art, Non of my collection affects more people than my red crown, I only have one, but its affect on people is overwellming, doing another crown in a different color would be for my own collection, I could not afford to by one of the rare ones but I think having one ( even if it's fake) to show my kids and my grandkids that these types of globes really exsisted is in some way perserving the past. lastgas thank you for the education I will use it wisely CHRIS

Chris Holt

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved