Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#657708 Wed Jun 08 2016 05:24 AM
KZ1000 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
The following article appeared in our local paper, Mike started out repairing a couple small damaged signs and has built up quite the reputuation as the go to guy. Several big name dealers use him as he will spot repair and blend in the repair without the need to clear the whole sign in most cases,and it is very hard to see the repair. He has done a couple hangars for me and is a whiz at matching the colors.

A good sign

News staff photos by Andrew Mansfield: Mike Rahaim has developed a business in restoring antique signs. He’s working on restoring this Sinclair Gasoline sign, plus the Oilzum and Skelly signs.

Using automotive paint, he restores large antique porcelain signs that were once used as advertising logos for old companies, and are now collectors’ items very much in demand.

“I am self-taught on how to repair these signs,” he said.

“That first year I didn’t make any money but it intrigued me, it was a new challenge so to speak.

It’s really taken off in the last three years.”

The 25 years prior to that, he ran his own auto body shop on West Broadway.

Before he transitioned between shops, he began to get into restoring after being approached by a sign dealer, the items being in the realm of antiques television viewers might see on the History channel show “American Pickers.”

Gradually, Rahaim learned how to mix different colored paints to make the signs look more polished while also retaining their original artistry.

He said the large advertising signs are made of metal, with porcelain fired over the surface, which took time for him to learn how to properly paint over.

Now, he’s booked by collectors to restore their signs well in advance, and the practice has become his main source of income, connecting him with collectors all across the country.

As an example, many of the signs are from oil and gas companies such as Mobil and its flying red horse logo, but other types of companies made signs too.

Collectors typically want to hang their signs up somewhere to showcase the classic look.

“A majority of these signs were made back at the start of the century, up until the 1940s or so,” Rahaim said.

“We really get along fantastic I have to say.

We really enjoy each other’s company during the days and evenings, so it doesn’t get much better than this,” he said.

Mike got his start in the automobile industry as a teenager, saying he was “fascinated” with cars and benefited from the mentorship of a teacher in an auto body work course he took after high school.

He’s known around town for driving a 1950 Studebaker Champion he hot-rodded for more speed.

Now 65, the greater focus on restoring antique signs has made things easier for him physically, and he plans to continue doing it as he finds the work stimulating and interesting with all the different signs he gets to work on.

“It’s like ice cream to the eyes,” he said.

resto1.jpg resto2.jpg

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
KZ1000 #657790 Wed Jun 08 2016 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Has anyone from OG used him?

Scott Wright
KZ1000 #657795 Wed Jun 08 2016 07:24 PM
KZ1000 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Many

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #657835 Thu Jun 09 2016 05:51 PM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
In that case, can we see some of his work?

Before-and-After!

E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
wink Yes, pictures of his work. Where to contact him, and any sort of pricing schedule or estimating. I know shipping a 48" sign would be about $125 each way for me to the East Coast. Ed.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved