Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Am i reading that poly can right?*****.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
How about that associated sign, two guys really wanted it.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Craig Osbeck
How about that associated sign, two guys really wanted it.

only one known .. ... cool

RANDY
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By Mattgas
To everyone on this post, I have been both a bidder and a seller on a online bidding platforms, since 1999.

This is what I have always preached to everyone that has ever ask me about bidding online.

Put an absentee bid prior to the live event, that way you bid will be there, that is what I do for every online auction I participated in whether my own or someone else.

Morphy's auction goes way to slow, we are selling at maybe 60 lots per hour, when I was in business I would sell over a 100 per hour.

So if you really want to buy something at any auction, prebid, phone bid or be there.

So let me heard the ***** now.

Dan, my postings yesterday were of course strewn with emotion. Mine is not meant to be a personal attack on you. I don't know your level of participation in these events.

However, the bottom line, this should not have happened. Period! Just a little patience on the hammer, make sure all basis are covered, and this doesn't happen.
Some would say this is the result of internet speed, connection, bla bla bla.... Look, this is not a race. There is nothing in the process driving a need for speed other than the auctioneer wanting to get through all his lots in a given amount of time. And if the auctioneer is paying attention to all basis, and making sure all active bids and bidders are addressed, then this doesn't happen. Does it? It's just that simple isn't it.
And you may say, 'well there are a lot of items to get through we have to be speedy'. No, that is not acceptable. Then split it into three days if you have to. Whatever it takes.

It should not have happened. And all it would take to make sure it never happens to someone again, is a little patience on the hammer and make sure every bidder is covered. Or like I said, don't offer the internet service.

I've lost what could be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Who knows. And even I say to myself, if it wasn't for Morphy's having their auction I never would have even had such an opportunity. But that doesn't cover it for me. It shouldn't have happened and it should never happen.

Another aspect, and this isn't personal, it's only business.
As an automotive tooling supplier, my customer base is limited to the OEM's and tier 1 and 2 suppliers. And there is ample competition for the work. If we screw up, we are at our whits end to correct the issue and make that customer happy. Not redirect them to other options and pointing out what they did wrong on the project to contribute to the problem. If I did that it would not end well for me I assure you.
However in the auction world, with a potential customer base of some 350 million in the US alone, you seem to beat to a different kind of drum. In stead of hearing my venting and saying even that your sorry it happened, and then possibly doing something about making sure it doesn't happen in the future to someone else, You just want to redirect me and point out what I did wrong. And if I never participate in another Morphy's auction, you won't even feel it.

Again, if your not going to fully honor the internet bids and take the time to make sure they are given equal opportunity, then don't offer the service just to drive up prices.

I had to add one last thing. It's not like I only bid once. I had been high bidder twice only seconds before this happened. So it's not like my bids were not being recognized at all. I was a clear active bidder in the final seconds of this auction and should have been recognized to the end!!!

Last edited by Steve C.; Sun Jul 24 2016 08:01 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Steve C.
[quote=Mattgas]I had to add one last thing. It's not like I only bid once. I had been high bidder twice only seconds before this happened. So it's not like my bids were not being recognized at all. I was a clear active bidder in the final seconds of this auction and should have been recognized to the end!!!

same scenario, resolution: if there is a problem with the internet bidding which there is "do away with it"
& have the "bidders phone in" when there bidding
then everybody is happy "seller & buyer" .. ... cool

RANDY
M
Mattgas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
My quote is why you should absentee or phone bid if you really want something.

M
Mattgas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Also this statement was bidding with a company that only used one bidding platform.

You have to compare apples to apples.

V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
I have bid live for 6 years using Morphy Live including the last 2 days and never have had a problem! My guess is those having issues have to do with your internet connection! I also switched to a static IP address a year ago which has made my connection fast but also helped with banking and other secure sites to remember your computer!

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I have bid/purchased through proxy-bid many times for 4 years and never have had an issue. Yesterday something went wrong. I dont know what it was, but it wasn't my internet connection or anything having to do with it.
FWIW, I'm over it. Lets get back to the fun.

Last edited by Steve C.; Sun Jul 24 2016 06:56 PM.

Steve Coppens
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I was backup bidder on lot #722 at $500. The winning bidder was an absentee bidder at $1700. How does Morphy's explain a $1200 difference between my bid and the winning bid? On the surface, it sure does appear that Morphy's ran up the absentee bid. I'm sure this is why a lot of people don't want to place an absentee bid. I know the auction companies say they don't run up bids. Does this have anything to do with floor bidders? Dan? Pat

Last edited by puregas; Sun Jul 24 2016 09:40 PM.

Looking for early Pure Oil Company items(Energee,Detonox,Puritan)as well as any Woco Pep items.

Looking for graphic quart cans for my collection.
M
Mattgas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Pat I do not understand the question, Morphy's was four online bidding platforms, bidders can absentee bid or live bid on all of them, phone in absentee bids, bid live on the phone or be there in person.

If you are watching a online auction whatever platform you are using if you get out bid by an other online platform it will say you were out bid by a floor bidder.

S
S
At this point I am not a fan of Morphy's either as I am still waiting for reimbursement on a globe from the May Las Vegas auction that was totally destroyed in shipping. I have purchased several items from the Pennsylvania auctions and didn't realize that for the Las Vegas auction Morphy's would absolve themselves of all responsibility once the hammer dropped. Their supposedly "experienced" shipping partner Box Brothers is some type of corporate chain that has no idea how to pack globes. Per their instructions I returned the pieces of the globe and they have had it since June 7th and I still don't have a check. Every time I call Box Brothers I get the run around about their corporate office processing claims and other B.S. - still no check. Every time I call Morphy's I get the Box Brothers say they have been in touch with you and are processing your claim. Again, terrible customer service from both of them and another piece of history lost forever.

image.jpeg

Always buying Skelly items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Dan, I was the backup bidder on lot #722 with a bid of $500. I bid through Morphy's HiBid platform. The bid history showed the winning bid to be an absentee bidder with a winning bid of $1700 with 17 bids! That was a $1200 difference between my bid(backup bidder) and the winning bid. It didn't show any bidders between my bid and the winning bid. I took a picture of the bid history screen after the lot had closed and tried to post it last night but had trouble posting picture. I downsized it but it would never load. I thought that if there were floor bidders that it should show but it didn't. I know some people who pre bid and won lots at less than they bid. It just looks like an absentee bid was run up by Morphy's. I could send the picture to someone on Old Gas if they would post it. Pat

Last edited by puregas; Mon Jul 25 2016 07:01 AM.

Looking for early Pure Oil Company items(Energee,Detonox,Puritan)as well as any Woco Pep items.

Looking for graphic quart cans for my collection.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By puregas
It just looks like an absentee bid was run up by Morphy's. I could send the picture to someone on Old Gas if they would post it. Pat

Morphy-1.JPG

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
That bid history is cool. How/where did you access that??

Steve Coppens
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved