Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BrianH Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hi guys,
I finally acquired my first gas pump a few weeks ago. I picked this one up off an old farm in Ohio. The pump had been sitting there 50+ years. The pump is an American Octagon Visible "whirlwind", model 2347-V I think. The pump is pretty much complete and the sheet metal is pretty straight - just a few small dents to bang out. It does have some rust-through in a few spots on the bottom of the skins that I'll have to patch. Also, the angle iron inside the pump had completely rotted away at the base so I'm installing all new angle iron. The only thing holding this old pump upright were the sheet metal skins! The cylinder is unfortunately cracked from top to bottom so it will have to be replaced. All the gallon indicators are present and original and in pretty good shape. I do need a bit of advice on how to get the cylinder apart to replace the glass and clean up the cast upper and lower cylinder sections. Since the glass is already broken and the tops of the rods are completely rusted, is there any harm in just cutting the rods to separate the halves and replacing the rods with new ones? I can't put any heat on the rods right now since the glass is so close. Any advice there would be appreciated. I really like the look of this pump and can't wait to complete the restoration.

BrianH

Stuckey Farm Gas Pump resized 2.jpg IMG_6742_small.jpg IMG_6743_small.jpg IMG_6741_test.jpg

Brian H
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice pump! Congrats!

Braden Splichal

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved