Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
cormy Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I guess you could call it Hi Jacking as well. When You post a wanted item and some one adds to the post yea me too?

Now you have a prospective seller with at least two prospective buyers..

What is the general opinion? I think its rude.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If somebody just ads a tag line to a for sale post saying it's a nice item or something, that doesn't bother me but a wanted post is a little different. If you are needing something, just post your own want ad, tagging on another's post is kinda rude if you think about it. I have sent a pm to the person who posted a want ad before, stating that I had also been looking for the item posted and if they happen to find an extra let me know. But I don't add to their post. Sometimes the wanted post will be for an item that a lot of us have been looking for and just quit asking so sometimes i think the comment like yea, me too, is almost sarcasm. Like, good luck finding that one smile .....GB

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well we are a big family here so there's always going to be the brother or uncle that you want to poke in the eye with your finger LOL.

I agree it sucks but it's no different than someone posting an eBay auction for a rare item on here when deep down inside you hope you're the only one who found it, so that you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for it.

I think there is always going to be good and bad with any of those situations because you might find more than one person selling that item so that both people come out. But then again if it's a rare item you now have an auction!

The good sellers are going to do the right thing and sell it to the first person looking. And with eBay the good sellers are going to follow through with their auction and not sell it to someone who contacted them after. So like I said it can go both ways and there's no true answer in my opinion

Last edited by Mike M.; Wed May 11 2016 11:58 AM.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am of a different opinion on this topic.

If someone is just running a generic "I want.." ad for things that we all want (Red Indian Tins, Rainbow globes, Buffalo signs, Case Eagles, Dealership porcelain neons etc etc...), I see nothing wrong with others piling on and saying they want one as well. That is better that seeing a dozen ads of people looking for the same thing.

If however someone drafts an ad for a specific need (ex. a specific globe face to complete a globe, a specific pump part to complete a restoration, a specific sign to complete a set etc etc...)I agree that others hopping on to that ad may be considered rude.

Just my 2 cents.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like the subtle reply of.."Good luck finding that,you'll never find one as I've been looking along time for one too".
In one sentence,they've managed to not only dash your hopes,but to also imply they too are a buyer of said item,and to insinuate to anyone with said item for sale to quote you a high price as it's hard to find and there is more then one person interested in it here too.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I actually think for the want ads, the second person would get more attention in their own post than adding to someone else's. Face it, if someone has something to sell and they look first to the 'want to buy section,' they are going to stop at the first post of the person who wants it, and will not necessarily read everything.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By bppierce

Exactly, is there anybody out there that will actually PAY for old scarce paint cans

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Several posts on the linked topic have been removed. I feel it is inconsiderate to post your own wants in an existing "want" topic posted by another member.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved