Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#659676 Thu Jun 30 2016 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Yes, its true! I have sold my Cities Service collection, or at least part of it, so I feel an explanation is in order.
When I first started collecting, about 12 years ago, I had told my wife that I had intentions of doing it for about 10 years and then selling everything if I was still alive. I have gone past that time frame by about 2 years and have always had that thought in the back of my mind. I wanted the enjoyment of the sale action, just as much as the enjoyment of the collecting aspect. Over the course of the years, I discovered that there really "IS NO" such thing as getting out of the hobby, but I have learned a lot in those 12 years, and I feel I can put the train on a different track and continue on!
I have reached a point in my collecting where things have really slowed down. I have had to refrain from buying some very desirable pieces for 2 reasons. There is absolutely no room left in my display area (the Warden refuses to allow it to spill into the house), and I have so much Cities Service stuff that when I do find a new piece, it means that I have to take another piece down in order to display the new piece! Since I refuse to become a hoarder, I always sell the piece I just removed, and that action has started to restrict my collecting to just Cities Service, and its rare that a new piece ever comes on the market for me.
I have a good friend with a very sizeable collection and he really didn't have any Cities Service items, so he offered to buy my collection. Once this offer was on the table, I had decisions to make. Should I sell the whole collection the auction way, or should I just part with part of it by selling just the Cities Service signage, as the offer was in front of me???
It took me several weeks to make up my mind and I decided to sell the signage to my good friend. Along with the Cities signage, went the Mobil, Husky, Texaco and Polarine. The additional signs were kind of holding me back, but he wanted all of it, so I made up my mind and closed the deal! This leaves me with all of my Cities Service globes and cans and pumps, and I intend to sell a large portion of these off in addition.
The thing that convinced me to take this track, was the fact that I am 67 years old and I wanted to try a little different aspect of the hobby while I still can. I'm not exactly sure what that track will evolve into yet, as I plan on spending some time selling out most of the rest of my Cities Service items first.
I have always had a big interest in rare pumps, and especially original patina survivor pumps! I believe I will be selling my restored pumps and concentrating on these survivor type pumps in the future?
This opens a lot of doors for me and now I have the opportunity to go in any of several different directions. It sure doesn't mean that I will stop collecting ANY Cities Service at all, but I will probably just be collecting the rarer pieces of it, or any other brand for that matter.
I have always felt that life was a journey and I intended to participate to the fullest, depending on my ability and resources. I look back and its been a very exciting life that I wouldn't do any other way, and I see this part as just another chapter in that journey!
I can't wait to get started on the next part!!

By the way, My health is great and my wife still loves me so there were no ulterior motives in this decision! LOL

Last edited by K W FRITH; Thu Jun 30 2016 07:49 AM.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
K W FRITH #659677 Thu Jun 30 2016 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
sad to see the collection go, but happy to hear there will be less competition! lol

congrats.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
K W FRITH #659678 Thu Jun 30 2016 07:46 AM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
This is very insightful and does tend to make a person think.
Especially those of us getting up there in age. wink

K W FRITH #659680 Thu Jun 30 2016 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
you know when its time, this
day comes for all of us .. ... cool

RANDY
K W FRITH #659681 Thu Jun 30 2016 07:57 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A lot of the pieces that come up at auction or E-Bay are the result of decisions like yours. People down sizing, other interests etc. Unfortunately also divorce & death are reasons. When a collector treasures his collection he has to realize that he can enjoy the hunt, the purchase and adding to his collection. But also that he is just the caretaker of the item til he hands it off to the next collector some time in the future.
I'am sure you will remain in the hobby, it's in your blood!

K W FRITH #659682 Thu Jun 30 2016 08:13 AM
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
shocked frown

K W FRITH #659683 Thu Jun 30 2016 08:27 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wow Kevin. Though shocking to me, perfectly understandable, as you explained your decision to take another track in your collecting. I wish you the best of luck on the new track, although I am certain your passion and love for the hobby will benefit you way more than luck! Keep teaching us all with your insight and advice!

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
K W FRITH #659684 Thu Jun 30 2016 08:43 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
One of the benefits of doing it this way is knowing your collection is going to a good place where it will be appreciated and displayed.

muntzman #659685 Thu Jun 30 2016 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By muntzman
One of the benefits of doing it this way is knowing your collection is going to a good place where it will be appreciated and displayed.

thats what Kyle Moore thought too wink

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
muntzman #659687 Thu Jun 30 2016 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have seen collections go a million different directions once the original owner sold out. One can never tell.Only time tells.Does it really make any difference ? Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
K W FRITH #659688 Thu Jun 30 2016 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Totally understand your thinking. I my self just did what you did with your collection not gas and oil, my Buddy L collection. It was just time and it's funny how it comes to you out of left field. Congratulations and now get fired up for the new hunt!

Have gas all the time
BryceG #659689 Thu Jun 30 2016 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By BryceG
sad to see the collection go, but happy to hear there will be less competition! lol

congrats.

That was just about word for word my response to Kevin about what you would say! LOL

Great story Kevin (as always), See you soon!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
K W FRITH #659692 Thu Jun 30 2016 09:44 AM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Natural progression.I'll bet that aero can is a keeper.

intagas #659695 Thu Jun 30 2016 10:06 AM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Thing that stood out to me the most of your explanation Kevin is that some of your pumps will be available soon smile Congrats on the sale.

K W FRITH #659696 Thu Jun 30 2016 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Geez Kevin I am glad to see your making a decision for all the right reasons...and I am glad I got to see it in person.
Man I just got started and I am only a few years behind you...hmmm.
Well the auction houses will be disappointed, in the short term at least, while you're thinking about your next choice. Hopefully this doesn't mean less KW on OG.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved